What's new

AVI - Divx - Xvid - DVD and all the acronyms! (1 Viewer)

firefighter26

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Good day everyone! It's been a while since I've been on the forums, but I had some great success here a while back trouble shooting HDMI connections and quality issues with my gaming systems.

Anyway, I am back with another problem.

My DVD player finally decided to pack it in after nearly 15 years over the weekend, right in the middle of trying to calm down my 2 year old twins by putting on their favorite movie, finding nemo. I quickly developed a work around using a car/portable DVD play and a spare set of RCA connectors I had. That seems to be holding down the fort for now, but it is time to look at buying a new DVD player. Ideally, I wanted a blue ray, but I don't think I am going to be able to convince the wife of that this time around!

New DVD player? No problem, right? That's what I though until yesterday when the package I have been waiting months for finally arrived in the mail. The package was a set of 5 DVD/Rs with various AVI files on them (about 50 clips of various lengths in total). The AVI files are digital copies of combat and behind the lines/interview footage from the second world war from the artillery unit my great grandfather was in. I got the DVDs from an old school friend of mine that now works for the National Archives, and had to jump through a ton of hoops to get them!

They seem to work fine on my computer, but I really wanted to play them on my TV when my grandfather comes to visit during thanksgiving (easier for us all to gather around the TV than the computer), as he would be able to better identify his father (my great grandfather) should he be in any of the footage.

From what I understand, in order to play these AVI files on a regular DVD player I would have to convert them to MPEG2 formate and re-burn them. This is something I could probably figure out, but to do 50 individual files seems like an undertaking. I tried one, and it seemed to work, but the audio was out of sink and the quality wasn't that great (vs playing the AVI on my computer in full screen). I could have done something wrong as it was my first attempt.

After doing more research, I was able to establish that these AVIs are coded using Xvid, and that with the right DVD player I should be able to simply drop the DVD in and be able to play them. I've done some searching online and found a slue of DVD players that are Divx players, but nothing that mentions specifically Xvid (anyone else notice that Xvid is Divx backwards?). Will one of these Divx enabled DVD players play an a DVD/R with Xvid encoded AVIs?

The only other piece of information that might be handy is that I have this Sony 46" Grand Wega.

Perhaps there is a better work around that I have not heard of yet?

Thanks in advance!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Welcome back to the HTF, Jason!

Two issues. The first is about the AVI Xvid files. There's all kinds of free software that should allow you to do easy conversions to playable DVDs using your PC.

2nd. There are Blu-ray players running in the $100 to $150 range at Wal-Mart. If you can wait, I bet there'll be some MAJOR sales this holiday season as the push continues to saturate homes with the BD format. But there are also some pretty good deals out there already depending on what you are looking for. Be sure to do your homework though as to what your current gear will accept for connections. You don't mention a receiver or HT 5.1 set-up...but make sure the Wega will accept a satisfactory signal from the player, etc.

When researching players (DVD or Blu-ray), just bring a copy of one of those discs with you and see if the floor model in the store will accept it.

firefighter26

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Thanks for the information Mike!

I thought that I had done the conversions from AVI Xvid to MPG2 incorrectly. I am a little leery to download random software that advertises for free, especially when some of the sites look 2nd rate. Any suggestions on where to look for software to get the job done? Is it really just as simple as finding viable software, converting them, and re-burning them onto a DVD/R, or is there more the picture I haven't uncovered yet?

Blue Ray players are still a bit pricey here in Canada, at least in my corner of it! A quick search of futureshop's website (A canadian version of best buy) shows them from 199-699 still. Walmart is about on par, with their only online advertised price being in the low 200's. Price drops are always delayed getting over the border! Like I said, I'd like to go blue ray, but it is ultimately easier to convince the other half that it is a good idea first! It's been a tough battle, especially since it took me months to convince her that widescreen was better than full screen, even after we got the widescreen TV!

As for receivers, I'll have to start a new thread on that when I finish going down that road. Life sort-of delayed putting together our home theater, so we are running pretty basic with some missing components (surround sound was the next purchase until the DVD packed it in... in fact, we wanted to get them as a package, but we're looking for a temporary replacement to get us through for now).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've heard some really good things about Onkyo HTIB systems...and I think SVS has some, too (including DVD players)...but they may be a bit pricey.

I've got one of those conversion programs installed on my PC at home that works great...but I can't for the life of me remember its name right now. I'll report back after I get to my home PC. The thing works like a dream.

Is it really just as simple as finding viable software, converting them, and re-burning them onto a DVD/R, or is there more the picture I haven't uncovered yet?
Yup. That simple.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
One that I've found works really well is Any Video Converter. Their site is here: www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/ I used it for church when one of the members needed a DivX file converted for playback on a DVD player. Worked like a charm.

As for when to get a Blu-Ray player, I feel your pain. The only reason I was able to get one and a new receiver this year was that our tax returns were sizable. Of course, after that my son went and knocked one of my surround speaker stands over, destroying the speaker. I'm working on replacing those now, but @ the same time pushing to upgrade my sub and go up to 7.1. It's an uphill batlle, I tell ya.

firefighter26

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Yup. That simple.
Figures that I would screw it up the first time! I will have to give it another attempt, with some different software, this evening.

The only other work around that I can think of is that I have access to two laptops at home (mine and the wife's). I know mine has an S-Video out that works pretty good directly into the Grand Wega, but then I would have to rely on the crappy laptop speakers for sound. The wife's machine, which is a few months newer, might have an HDMI output on it. I don't remember if she ended up getting the one with it, or if we decided we would probably never use and got a different model.

One day I'll be able to make all the different components work together!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
If your wifes PC has HDMI, that should work fine.

I play lots of xvid/divx files on my Playstation 3. They work great, and many other file types (but not all!) work on it as will. You can download a freeware application as well to stream the files straight off a hard drive hooked up to your PC network. I love it! I'm sure your little one would enjoy some of the gaming potential too eventually. The new slim PS3 sells for $299 at Future Shop (at least around here) which is pretty fair.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Jason: the software I use is ConvertX to DVD 3. I misspoke about it being freeware...although there is a free trial available.

I usually just check the reviews at cnet or zdnet first on the free applications (along with the number of downloads) to determine if the program is any good.

Find a free program that you feel comfortable with, convert the files, burn playable DVDs and you WILL be all set. No worries.

And, good luck! :eek:)

LarryR

Agent
I started making movies from my new FLIP UltraHD vid. cam. I am using Windows Vista Home Premium on my PC. I used Windows Movie Maker (WMM) to make my movie (40 minutes long) and it came out OK for my first one. It was saved as a wmv file. It plays using Window Media Player and VLC Media Player on my computer. I burnt the movie to DVD disc but could not play on the Denon. After using a conversion software program (trial), It worked when I played it on my inexpensive bedroom Sylvania DVD/VHS player. I tried it on my Denon 2910 DVD Player (surround sound system) and the Denon could not recognize the disc. I tried burning a test movie from wmv to mpeg2 and to what the conversion software called a DVD file. Neither played in my Denon player.What should the conversion be for the Denon (file type? (What does anyone suggest for file type?)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Jason:

Check out

Coby DVD298 for $45 it would hard to beat.

Also, on the software side check out AVS4You they have mutiple programs for converting formats. I really like the AVS Video Converter program. The great thing is if you buy one you are allowed to download them all at no extra cost. I used it to convert my HD videos to .mpeg4 no problem as well as converting .divx to be able to play it back on my iPod. Very easy step setup.

Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks