What's new

Avi Arad talks 7 more sequels for Spider Man (1 Viewer)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Bond has depended on constantly getting new actors, but yes, people will stay interested. I'm kind of hoping they can go nine with the same cast. If they can keep up the pace of 2 years a pop, Spider-man will be about 40 when they're finished, which isn't too old.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
It is too old for the character. Even in comic book continuity, Peter has only aged to about 25-26 since the books started in 1963.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

"Constantly"? Five dudes over 40 years isn't "constantly", especially since three of them were responsible for 85% of the films. Contrast that with four Batmans - including Christian Bale - over five movies!

Ray_Gootz

Stunt Coordinator
Spider-man could go for 40 years with the same charcters as long as they keep casting right. I mean if they're going with the green Goblin again for the 3rd movie and if they do one villan a movie that means they still have:

Lizard

Electro

Scorpion

Mysterio

Shocker

Chamelon

Kraven

Sandman

Sinster Six

Rhino

Morbius

The Jackyl

Hydro-man

Silvermain

The Spider Slayers

Black Cat

Silve Sable

Prowler

Kingpin

Vermin

Venom

Carnage

Ezikel

Kain

Hammerhead

Silver Fox

Vulture

Sinster Six

Callisto

Molten Man

Shriek

Tarantula

TheSinster Syndicate

The Rose

And then we can't forget these storylines:

Spider-man parents turn out to be government spies

The evil black costume

Spider-man's girlfriend is a psychopath

Who shot Jean DeWolf

Kraven's last hunt

Six-armed Spidey

The Gwen Stacy saga

The clone Saga

The Spider-totem

The Mob is taken over by super-villans (silvermaine, the rose)

The Assinate Nation plot (Spider-man becomes a bounty hunter for silver Sable)

John Jameson becomes Man-wolf

That's almost 20 movies! Now I'm not saying all these villans will get their own movies (who'd watch am ovie where Spidey battles The Prowler for 2 hours) but the potential is there. Plus if they bring back Dock Ock(He only LOOKED dead) ....the potential is unlimited. Realsiticly they've only taken stories from 5 of psider-man's comics. They have well over 800 to go. And I'd rather see a movie adaptation of Web of Spider-man 15-20 over any crappy Tom Cruise movie anyday.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
My opinion is people will need a break for a while once they get up to 5 or 6(though I doubt Ill be one of them).

Of course, 20 years from now theyll probably be starting over again and from scratch like theyre doing with Superman and Batman

ToddP

Stunt Coordinator

Can we please use spoilers? I mean the movie came out yesterday. I'm guessing I'm not the only one who has yet to see the film.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I thought Raimi and Tobey were locked for Spidey 4 as of last week.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member

It's funny, SUPERMAN II was one of those "lump in my throat, butterflies in my stomach" movies the first time I saw it. I mean, I never had as much fun at the movies up to that point as I did when I saw that film on opening night in 1981. Over the years, I've grown to see some of the weaknesses of it, and have compared it unfavorably to the original film. But, watching both I and II this week, I got back some of my original love for II. It's not perfect; the sight gags during the battle, while funny in themselves, do mess up the tone of the movie, Ken Thorne's reorchestration of John William's themes leaves much to be desired, and the color timing of the film was way off(I still don't understand why Lester went for grainy when the first film looked so damn beautiful).
But you know what? SUPERMAN THE MOVIE has flaws that are almost as serious. The film is so inconsistent in it's tone; one minute, it has the most serious epic flavor, the next, it's a silly comedy with Hackman, Perrine and Beatty mugging for the cameraman. I still want to see Richard Donner's vision of SUPERMAN, mostly for the Fortress of Solitude footage with Brando, but I don't think Lester was that much more disrespectful of the Superman mythos than Donner(at least not until SUPERMAN III). I think both films are great, but neither is without major problems.

Back on topic: I'll see every Spidey flick if they are as good as SPIDER-MAN 2, which I now consider the greatest comic book movie ever made(and I never thought I'd be saying that).

Pete-D

Screenwriter
It's hard to use Bond as a direct comparision because Bond has had several different actors in the lead role and the series has also gone through long stretches where it was on hiatus.

We don't know how fans will react to casting changes. Also each Bond movie really requires no previous investment in the franchise, which is a bit unique.

I used Star Trek as more of a direct comparision, becuse during the late 70s and through till the early 1990s, there was always an OS Star Trek film in production at Paramount.

Real Name
Anthony
Yeah, Ray, that was really shit putting that spoiler in. Unfortunately, it's repeated in ToddP's post. Could the mods please spoilerise or delete those posts so no-one else gets the end of the movie spoiled for them. :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks