What's new

AVG users, the partys over, now what? (1 Viewer)

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
For those of us who have used AVG antivirus for the past few years as freeware, what is everyone going to use now that AVG will no longer be freeware?

:eek:

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Why do you think that AVG will no longer be available for free? They recently released Freeware version 7.5. Freeware version 7.1 will be discontinued January 15, but free version 7.5 will take it's place. I've been running Avast! lately because AVG has no Vista compatible version right now and I'm running Vista RC2. But I still have some family members running AVG.

HienN

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hien
I think (hope) it's a misunderstanding. I've been on AVG for a long time, and about 2 months ago there was a pop-up message saying that 7.1 will be discontinued in January, and to upgrade to 7.5. The link takes you to a page that shows only 2 paying options. You have to dig around a little and jump through a few hoops before you get to the free download option, but it's there.

Matt Fig

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Fig
I have been using AVG for about 2 years and recently updated to 7.5 and it was free.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
I must have ver 7.1, because a quick Google shows others asking the exact same question, we are all getting a pop up at times...my bad.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
AVG did make downloading the free version of 7.5 a bit difficult. They certainly wanted you to know about all the paying options available. So, the party continues!

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
AVG does make it very difficult to navigate from their home page to the webpage featuring their free version. But what do you expect?

I'm perfectly happy with AVAST! now, though, and won't go back to AVG even when they get a Vista compatible version. You snooze, you lose (albeit they aren't losing anything from me since I'm a free customer) :D

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
A month or so ago a friend called me asking the same thing. What should she do now that AVG wasn't going to be free. I pointed out that 7.5 would still be free. As was mentioned earlier, AVG does make it pretty difficult to sift through all the paying options to finally get to the free option. I've been using 7.5 since it was released with no problems.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I've had a few family members ask me about AVG not being free anymore after they've gotten the 'notice' from Grisoft. I haven't read it myself, but I'm guessing the wording is confusing/misleading.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
it seems their tactic is working, so many people believe that there will be no more free avg anymore. it's just as easy to say "upgrade to 7.5 free", but they choose not to, and it's proven by the dozens of threads about this on computer forums.

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Digital Dan