AVG Free Edition Users

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Robert Houghton, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Robert Houghton

The last couple of weeks, I've had a problem getting the virus updates from AVG. I have a cable modem, and it no longer goes for updates automatically. When I try to do it manually by doing the update now, it tells me I have no connection (cable modem always on). My brother and daughter are having the same problem. Does anybody have an idea why this is happening.

Thank You Bob H.

2. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

Open Internet Explorer and see if "File | Work Offline" is checked. If it is, uncheck it.

3. Robert Houghton

No, it's unchecked.

4. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

I've had the same problem with my desktop pc, my sister's laptop, and my girlfriend's laptop. You have to do it manually a couple times before it will start downloading. I'm not sure what's wrong, but I remember getting a message that says I need to establish a connection to the internet and suggests that I open a web page on internet explorer. Since I'm having problems with all 3 of the PCs I'm the "expert" on, and you're explaining the same situation from a thousand miles away, I'm guessing there is a problem with AVG's server. I wonder if downloading the paid version will fix it. I'll continue to wonder that, but I wont buy it [​IMG]

edit: "establishing" an internet connection doesn't do a damn thing in helping me download the update.

5. Robert Houghton

I got a reply on another forum, that said there server is running very slow, causing problems with downloads.

Bob H.

6. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Problem is not just their server, but several. Netsky went through so many variations so fast that lots of AV companies had to put out series of updates as fast as they could pitch them.

7. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

I've had the same problem with some of the machines at work, but I tried it on my home pc just now and it worked fine. Maybe you should try again after business hours?

8. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

Same problems here, I think I did eventually get through. Glad to know it wasn't just me.

-Brett.

9. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Ack!

Worked just fine on my home PC last night, but doesn't work today at the office.

MANUAL PROCEDURE

Visit Grisoft's update page, save the "bin" file in the AVGUpdate folder, then run the AVG main app to "install" the update.

To confirm that it installed properly, open the AVG Control Center (icon by your clock) and hit the rightmost tab, "Information". Make sure you have Program Version 6.0.620 and Virus Database 399.

10. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

I've been having the same problem with both my home computers. My laptop, which has a wireless connection to my router, took about 10 minutes to make the connection and the download was sloooow (noticable on a cable connection). My desktop, which is connected to the router via ethernet cable, has yet to get the connection with the server. I will try the manual method listed above.

11. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

And, BTW, for those still looking for free anti-virus, and one that isn't from the Czech republic [​IMG] You can look at E-Trust from Computer Associates..

http://my-etrust.com/microsoft/

12. Robert Houghton

Here is the fix for the free edition of AVG. I got this off of a different forum and it does work.Use a copy and paste to get the text in the url.ini file.Don't forget to save your original url.ini as url.old.

Thanks to someone else on this forum I replaced the text in my url.ini file ( In your grisoft folder or wherever you have AVG installed.)
    Save your old file as url.old and create a new file in notepad with this:

[SERVER_NAME]
    1=free.grisoft.cz
    2=ftp.grisoft.com
    3=www.grisoft.com

[SERVER_URL]
    1=http://free.grisoft.cz/softw/60/fe
    2=ftp.grisoft.com/pub/softw/60/fe/
    3=http://www.grisoft.com/softw/60/fe/
    Actual URL=3

When you restart AVG you'll have three choices to download from instead of the default one.

13. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Thanks guys. I was wondering why I couldn't update...it also seems that with ad aware you need the latest build to be able to update that too.