Averatec Notebooks, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jamie Doucette, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Jamie Doucette

Jamie Doucette Stunt Coordinator

May 3, 2002
    I'm planning on purchasing a Laptop for when i return to school and I'm keeping my options open.

Anyways, my local futureshop just started carrying this Averatec line which I am not familiar with. Does anyone have experiance with this brand? Good? Bad? Ugly?

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Jul 2, 2000
    Nick So
    Yeah, I was suprised to see the Averatec at FutureShop. I've read good things baout the laptop. Great features for the price, great protability. However the main problem with the laptop is the keyboard.

Some people complained that it was too smal, the spacebar key only worked when hit directly, and the backspace key was very small and in an awkward position.

For me, I felt the keyboard was not too smal, the spacebar key worked FINE (even when i tapped it lightly), but the backspace was in a wierd position (and it is smaller, its baout 2/3 the size of a normal 'letter' key) where my ring finger usually hits it. However, i am sure the user will get used to it in a few hours.

Its goin for about $1699 i beleive at FS, i've seen it as low as $750USD online thats about $1000CAD. GOod if you are able to buy from the US.