Avengers: Secret Wars (2025)

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
Title: Avengers: Secret Wars

Genre: Action, Science Fiction

Release: 2025-11-05

Plot: An upcoming Phase 6 Marvel Cinematic Universe film that will conclude the Multiverse Saga.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Hoping to hear the Russos announced as the directors at D23.

I’m wondering if they’d also be doing The Kang Dynasty, or if that will be a different creative team? I think it’s pretty clear that, being 6 months apart, both are closely related so I think it’s a good possibility that this could be similar to Infinity War and Endgame as far as being two parts of a larger whole.

Have heard rumors for a while now though that the “Secret Wars” storyline will span multiple movies and Disney+ series.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
Hoping to hear the Russos announced as the directors at D23.

I’m wondering if they’d also be doing The Kang Dynasty, or if that will be a different creative team? I think it’s pretty clear that, being 6 months apart, both are closely related so I think it’s a good possibility that this could be similar to Infinity War and Endgame as far as being two parts of a larger whole.

Have heard rumors for a while now though that the “Secret Wars” storyline will span multiple movies and Disney+ series.
Feige says they're not directing the Avengers films

https://deadline.com/2022/07/avenge...ic-con-kevin-feige-russo-brothers-1235076256/

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Yet.

Of course they may not be doing it, but we should all know by now that denials don’t mean much. You know, “the door being closed” for more Spider-Man in the MCU, Andrew Garfield not being the werewolf, etc…

I’m hoping that they either haven’t reached a deal yet or are just waiting for a later reveal. This being the project that the Russo’s said they’d love to do as far back as 2019 it would be a shame if they didn’t do it.

If it is someone else, hopefully they find someone who can balance drama, comedy, tension, kinetic action and characterization (with a love of the actual source material) as well as the Russo’s and M&M. Tall order IMO.

Last edited:

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member

If true, it would make sense that Coogler and Destin Daniel Cretton are directing the 2 big Avengers films in 2025, given the stewardship that Feige/Marvel have entrusted in them with their broad production deals.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
That makes sense because Waldron has already demonstrated an ability to work well with Marvel. However, I hope that Secret Wars is more along the lines of his work on Loki (which I liked very much) than Multiverse of Madness (which I didn't like.)

We'll see.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
TBH, since COVID hit (not necessarily because of it, mind), I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to be choosy with the Marvel movies these days. Before, I was willing to take them all in, and even see them all at the cinema. Now, post-Avengers Endgame, it looks like they're trotting out the D-list characters for a quick buck, and I just can't be bothered.

I mean, kudos to them for getting me to enjoy the B-list and C-list characters from the earlier films (I'd never seen/read any comics with Ant-Man, Black Panther, etc. in my youth. I was a DC guy, and only looked at the "big" Marvel characters before. You know, the ones that Marvel had sold all the film rights to before they began their cinematic universe). I totally thought Ant-Man and Guardians would suck, and the so did not.

However, I just could not get myself interested in yet another "team" film (Eternals populated with characters I'd never even heard of), didn't really care about a martial-arts movie, and it's just all gotten a bit much. Maybe they've gone to the well too many times to keep me hooked.

Oh, I'm still interested in the films with the characters I already like, I just don't know that I'm going to get all that invested in a bunch of 'new' stuff.

I just wish DC would get their act together. As both a kid and an adult, I've always felt that DC had (by far) a much more interesting cast of characters in their stable. It's just that the cinematic stuff has been very uneven.

Anyway, sorry for derailing things. It's a bit late and I just felt I had to get that out!

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I'm not really a big fan of either, so this news doesn't really thrill me. But there's a long time between then and now.

I thought Loki explored some intriguing ideas and places, topped by a riveting Jonathan Majors in the finale. Same with MoM in terms of ideas and places.

But both, to me, did feel somewhat unsatisfying, as if they were playing a bit too loose or wild with the ideas of time and multiverses. If we compare to the work done by Markus & McFeely for Winter Soldier, Civil War, Infinity War and Endgame, they all explored some fascinating territory as well, with something new in terms of plot development in each film. And in the end, mostly solid and very satisfying.

Of course, Loki S2 may enhance S1. And by the time the final script for Secret Wars is done, I'm sure there will have been input from Feige and others. So I'm happy to reserve judgment until the final product.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I just wish DC would get their act together. As both a kid and an adult, I've always felt that DC had (by far) a much more interesting cast of characters in their stable. It's just that the cinematic stuff has been very uneven.

For most of my comics-reading life, I've devoured both DC and Marvel. At any given moment, my favorite comic could've been a Marvel or a DC, though I always had more of an interest in the DC Universe than the Marvel Universe.

With the movies, I prefer Marvel. Mostly, it's because the characters in the movies are much more like the characters I grew up reading in the comics. DC, not so much.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
TBH, since COVID hit (not necessarily because of it, mind), I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to be choosy with the Marvel movies these days. Before, I was willing to take them all in, and even see them all at the cinema. Now, post-Avengers Endgame, it looks like they're trotting out the D-list characters for a quick buck, and I just can't be bothered.

I mean, kudos to them for getting me to enjoy the B-list and C-list characters from the earlier films (I'd never seen/read any comics with Ant-Man, Black Panther, etc. in my youth. I was a DC guy, and only looked at the "big" Marvel characters before. You know, the ones that Marvel had sold all the film rights to before they began their cinematic universe). I totally thought Ant-Man and Guardians would suck, and the so did not.

However, I just could not get myself interested in yet another "team" film (Eternals populated with characters I'd never even heard of), didn't really care about a martial-arts movie, and it's just all gotten a bit much. Maybe they've gone to the well too many times to keep me hooked.

Oh, I'm still interested in the films with the characters I already like, I just don't know that I'm going to get all that invested in a bunch of 'new' stuff.

Anyway, sorry for derailing things. It's a bit late and I just felt I had to get that out!
I'm mostly in agreement with you, but will add this: The whole long slate of movies being announced well into the years ahead almost feels like a homework assignment. It kind of carries, for me, a bit of a weight of arrogance. Like, don't you want to see how film 11 works out before you announce film 17?

I'm dunno. Probably alone on that one.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I'm mostly in agreement with you, but will add this: The whole long slate of movies being announced well into the years ahead almost feels like a homework assignment. It kind of carries, for me, a bit of a weight of arrogance. Like, don't you want to see how film 11 works out before you announce film 17?

I'm dunno. Probably alone on that one.

To be fair to Marvel/MCU... there were some grumblings (online, at least) that in general, post-Endgame, Phase 4 seemed to be meandering and didn't have much of a game plan as to where it was going. Hence Feige may have felt it was time to announce the planned films/shows out to 2025.

Also, it's not unusual for Marvel to announce projects several years out. For instance, Endgame itself was originally announced back in October 2014 as Avengers: Infinity War – Part 2.

I can understand how it may feel like a homework assignment, given how much content they already have and are planning. I myself often forget stuff that was hinted at in a throwaway line or action from an MCU entry several years ago. But I do love all the connections and implications and overall world-building!

I've said something to the same effect previously, but it may be worth paraphrasing the cliche that how much one gets out of the MCU depends on how much one puts into it. I don't invest 100% into it (maybe 80% :D ) but I do get a lot out of it. Especially after the well-done and very satisfying Endgame, I'm interested enough to see where the next few years takes the series.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
After Endgame, Marvel said the Universe was going to expand dramatically. They weren't kidding. Still, I get the longing for the simplicity of main characters like Iron Man- Hulk - Thor - Captain America with just a few others. Now, you quite literally need a scorecard to keep up. Not that I'm complaining - I think the MCU is the most rich, diverse franchise that has ever been seen, even more so than Star Wars or Star Trek. It's quite an achievement.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
After Endgame, Marvel said the Universe was going to expand dramatically. They weren't kidding. Still, I get the longing for the simplicity of main characters like Iron Man- Hulk - Thor - Captain America with just a few others. Now, you quite literally need a scorecard to keep up. Not that I'm complaining - I think the MCU is the most rich, diverse franchise that has ever been seen, even more so than Star Wars or Star Trek. It's quite an achievement.

Yep, many felt nothing can top the Infinity Saga after Endgame.

Feige said, "Hold my beer!"

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm not really a big fan of either, so this news doesn't really thrill me. But there's a long time between then and now.
The same here. I couldn't get into Loki and gave up after 2-3 episodes. I'm not a fan of all that multi-verse stuff either.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
The same here. I couldn't get into Loki and gave up after 2-3 episodes. I'm not a fan of all that multi-verse stuff either.
The multiverse concept may be Marvels greatest achievement and greatest failure all in one. It gives them free license to tell almost any story they want. Want to have Black Widow be an evil villain fighting against the Avengers? There's a universe where that's going on. Her death in our universe has no meaning at all.

That's my biggest problem with the multiverse. No stakes. None.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Same here. I find myself revisiting those often, with little interest in anything past Endgame. I'm cautiously optimistic about "Black Panther: Wakanda Forever," despite the uninspired title.
That's putting it nicely. Superman was a character that should have been [pun intended] invincible but DC somehow managed to take him down a path of darkness and mediocrity that might take decades to erase, if ever.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks