What's new

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's utterly bizarre to me that they'd go through the trouble of shooting this at 6.5k and then go through post at 2k. Certainly when I saw it in IMAX it didn't look like an upscale. But all of the previous Marvel movies except Black Panther were 2k so who knows.

Very curious about Avengers 4 and Episode IX, too. J.J. Abrams completed TFA at 2k but TLJ was completed at 4k.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
We watched this last night. 3rd viewing, first in home. HDR was great. Atmos was solid, I'd give it a B or B+ which is a huuuuuge improvement for disney. Could have been more from the ceiling but otherwise good.

I didn't remember the Avengers logo fading in the theater, was that new?

Pepper Potts, dead or alive?

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
We watched this last night. 3rd viewing, first in home. HDR was great. Atmos was solid, I'd give it a B or B+ which is a huuuuuge improvement for disney. Could have been more from the ceiling but otherwise good.

I didn't remember the Avengers logo fading in the theater, was that new?

Pepper Potts, dead or alive?

By fading do you mean turning to ash? If so, then yes the logo did that during the end credits in the theater.

As to your spoiler
My guess is that she is alive. I think the next one will pick up a few years later, and I have a feeling that she and Stark May have a child. This would mean that if Stark and the Avengers manage to find a way to undo what was done that involves resetting time in some way then that would mean that his child may cease to exist. Pure speculation about that stuff, though I feel pretty strongly that it is very likely the story will pick up a good amount of time after the end of Infinity War.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I’ve seen none of the Avengers 4ks, but have been told, that at one, per the 3D variant, has multiple ie IMAX aspect ratios, while none of the other flavors do.

The plethora of different releases is a bit confusing, as I’m not solidly into the series, but it seems as though every outlet has their own discs, packaging, etc.

Anyone have a handle on this?

Odd, that the 4k would go with single AR, while other(s) do not.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Anyone have a handle on this?

The shifting aspect ratios are exclusive theatrically to the IMAX presentations. Until very recently, these films were only offered in IMAX 3D, which is why they appeared only on the 3D home video releases. They were not intended to be presented theatrically with shifting aspect ratios in 2D, which is why the shifting ratios were not included on the 2D discs.

Either late last year or early this year, Marvel began allowing IMAX to show 2D versions. The shifting ratios are present in those IMAX 2D theatrical presentations, but not available for any other 2D theatrical exhibition formats. On disc, they remain exclusive to the 3D versions.

I believe the shifting aspect ratios work best in combination with the 3D presentation, as originally intended.

The Marvel films which had shifting ratios in IMAX theatrically are as follows (all of these shifting ratios carried over to the 3D disc versions, unless otherwise noted):
-Guardians Of The Galaxy
-Captain America: Civil War
-Doctor Strange
-Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2
-Thor: Ragnarok
-Black Panther
-Avengers: Infinity War (this film featured a constant 1.90:1 presentation in IMAX; the 3D disc is not yet out, so we do not know if the IMAX exclusive ratio will carry over to disc.)
-Ant-Man And The Wasp (the 3D disc is not out yet, so we do not know if the IMAX shifting ratios will carry over to disc)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The shifting aspect ratios are exclusive theatrically to the IMAX presentations. Until very recently, these films were only offered in IMAX 3D, which is why they appeared only on the 3D home video releases. They were not intended to be presented theatrically with shifting aspect ratios in 2D, which is why the shifting ratios were not included on the 2D discs.

Either late last year or early this year, Marvel began allowing IMAX to show 2D versions. The shifting ratios are present in those IMAX 2D theatrical presentations, but not available for any other 2D theatrical exhibition formats. On disc, they remain exclusive to the 3D versions.

I believe the shifting aspect ratios work best in combination with the 3D presentation, as originally intended.

The Marvel films which had shifting ratios in IMAX theatrically are as follows (all of these shifting ratios carried over to the 3D disc versions, unless otherwise noted):
-Guardians Of The Galaxy
-Captain America: Civil War
-Doctor Strange
-Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2
-Thor: Ragnarok
-Black Panther
-Avengers: Infinity War (this film featured a constant 1.90:1 presentation in IMAX; the 3D disc is not yet out, so we do not know if the IMAX exclusive ratio will carry over to disc.)
-Ant-Man And The Wasp (the 3D disc is not out yet, so we do not know if the IMAX shifting ratios will carry over to disc)

Thanks, Josh! That’s out of my wheelhouse.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Happy to be able to have a place where I can use all of this mindless trivia that I've unintentionally memorized :)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Infinity War doesn't have shifting aspect ratios. The entire film was shot at 1.9:1 and then cropped to 2.39:1 for non IMAX presentations.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
It’s more like it was composed for 2.39 and protected for the 1.9 IMAX presentation with the additional information above and below intended to fade into the periphery on a huge IMAX screen. I don’t think that ratio was necessarily meant for 2D viewings on 65“ TVs (or even 120” home projector screens). The vast majority of everyone who saw this in theaters saw it in 2.39, so it’s not like that was some afterthought “crop”. It was the presentation the Russos knew would be viewed by most people who saw their film, so I think it is appropriate that 2.39 is available for home release.

I do think they should include the IMAX ratio on the 3D version. And it would have been nice if they included it as an option on the normal 2D release for those who preferred the open mate version.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
No, the 2.39:1 isn't an afterthought by any means, but the 4K release is as close as anyone's going to get to IMAX at home, so it would have been nice to see that framing in UHD. The included Blu-ray is at 2.39, so everyone could have been happy if they'd gone that route. But nooooo, it's Disney.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
-

First watch reports from AUS and India releases which came out a couple weeks ago are that it's the 2.39 ratio only on the 3D discs which confirms the early reports and scans of the back cover.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
No, the 2.39:1 isn't an afterthought by any means, but the 4K release is as close as anyone's going to get to IMAX at home, so it would have been nice to see that framing in UHD. The included Blu-ray is at 2.39, so everyone could have been happy if they'd gone that route. But nooooo, it's Disney.

Well, I wouldn’t want the UHD to be IMAX and the Blu-ray to be 2.39, because I’d only want to watch the UHD and I’d personally prefer to watch what I consider the original theatrical aspect ratio (IMAX being a minority variation that most never saw) on the best quality release. Ideally, both aspect ratios would be available with the preference being selectable by the user. Since the IMAX would basically be an open mate version, they should be able to have one version on the disc with the proper 2.39 ratio bars generated by the player. I think that would be the right way to do it, but there are a lot of things Disney hasn’t been doing right lately.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks