What's new

Avengers: Infinity War -- Spoilers Thread (1 Viewer)

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
Just a guess but I can see there will probably be a solution that will require a sacrifice, one that will stick while resurrecting many characters. That way of thinking makes me wonder if we'll see some others return like Quicksilver and Yondu but lose someone permanently like Stark or Cap.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
If you look at it from the Avengers' point of view, it's only half a story. If you look at it from Thanos's point of view, it's a complete story with beginning, middle, and end -- and a triumphant (if somewhat bittersweet) ending to boot!

In fact, I would suggest that the creators hinted they intended the movie to be viewed as Thanos' story by including "Thanos will return" at the end of the credits.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Not as long as James Gunn was involved. He said that death was permanent because otherwise it would undermine the ending of Vol. 2.

Of course, James Gunn isn't involved anymore...but I highly doubt Michael Roker, who is obviously a very close friend of James Gunn, would come back and undermine that.

Also, they've got enough going on with bringing back snap victims. I doubt very much Marvel is going to bother bringing back dead characters from other films too.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
We all knew there was going to be two movies.
They weren’t going to do a 5 and a half hour one movie.

My goodness, how would you have ended this movie.
Oh I dunno. Maybe with an ending that didn’t have me rolling my eyes and saying “Yeah Right”. :rolleyes:

Right after Thanos snaps his fingers fade to black perhaps.

I dunno. Maybe it ended the only way it could have. Still feel as though it was an empty ending to a tremendous film.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Right after Thanos snaps his fingers fade to black perhaps.

I think that would have been a disservice to the storytelling because that would have been much more of a cliffhanger than this was. If they were going to do this, it was important that we actually saw the impact of what happened (even if that impact will be reversed later.)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I think that would have been a disservice to the storytelling because that would have been much more of a cliffhanger than this was. If they were going to do this, it was important that we actually saw the impact of what happened (even if that impact will be reversed later.)
I disagree. More of a cliffhanger yes but less disingenuous imo. And what’s wrong with more of a cliffhanger?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
That would have been awfully abrupt. I think the reason to do the snap in the first place is to show how failure affects the characters. We've never seen them lose before and it was important to sit with the impact of that. Fading to black woudn't have given us the opportunity to do that.

Plus, if they had gone with your scenario, we still would have had the characters dusted in the beginning of Avengers 4 instead of this year, so it would have had essentially no impact on changing the overall story. Avengers 4 would have still been about the efforts of the remaining Avengers (plus Rocket and Nebula) to undo the snap and bring those characters back.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
How do you know the characters would have still been dusted??

They could have come up with numerous scenarios to begin the film that didn’t involve dusting characters that you know won’t stay dusted.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
How do you know the characters would have still been dusted??

Because that's what happens as a result of the snap. It's Thanos' whole goal for the entire film, and they clearly wanted to give him his victory and show what that cost the heroes. Also, I think it happens in the comics this way too.

Like it or not, that was obviously baked into the concept for Infinity War.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Because that's what happens as a result of the snap. It's Thanos' whole goal for the entire film, and they clearly wanted to give him his victory and show what that cost the heroes. Also, I think it happens in the comics this way too.

Like it or not, that was obviously baked into the concept for Infinity War.
NOT. ;)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm not sure what you're suggesting.

If the snap happens, half the universe dies. That's the stated issue that Thanos wants to make happen, which is why the other characters oppose him.

If the snap was going to happen, half the universe had to get dusted. It would make no sense whatsoever for all of our heroes to be in the half that survive.

So...if they were committed to the snap storyline, once they decided that Thanos was going to win, I'm not sure how he could have still snapped his fingers (as you suggested) and NOT include major character "deaths," whether you put them in this movie or the next one.

Having it play out any differently would be a fundamental change to the type of story they chose to tell.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I just watched The Death of Superman movie and it ended with the death of Superman.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'm not sure what you're suggesting.

If the snap happens, half the universe dies. That's the stated issue that Thanos wants to make happen, which is why the other characters oppose him.

If the snap was going to happen, half the universe had to get dusted. It would make no sense whatsoever for all of our heroes to be in the half that survive.

So...if they were committed to the snap storyline, once they decided that Thanos was going to win, I'm not sure how he could have still snapped his fingers (as you suggested) and NOT include major character "deaths," whether you put them in this movie or the next one.

Having it play out any differently would be a fundamental change to the type of story they chose to tell.
I’m not suggesting anything other than my opinion.

I thought the ending was weak. And unconvincing. And devoid of emotion.

Since they are all coming back. Obviously.

And like I said I still loved the movie....except for that dumb ending. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks