What's new

Avengers: Infinity War -- Spoilers Thread (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
So much for the "September" estimate from Target.

I just saw a sponsored Facebook ad from the official Avengers page listing an August 14 release date for Infinity War on Blu-ray, UHD, and digital. This feels remarkably soon to me, but is I suppose consistent with Disney's quick-quick-quick release patterns. (I also think Black Panther should not be on disc yet, but I have it next to me.)

On another note...was there anything you all wanted from the film that you didn't get? I hate to be picky since the movie was so great, but for the longest time, I thought that if the Guardians were coming to Earth for Infinity War, Rocket needs to see an actual raccoon, just for the opportunity to see his reaction. Also, I'm kind of surprised they left Peter Quill in space, since his coming back to Earth would be a particularly significant beat. (And I really wanted him to cross paths with Sharon Carter, but that last one is more of a personal wish than something I actually expected to happen.)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
On another note...was there anything you all wanted from the film that you didn't get?
Before the movie came out, I saw someone on Twitter jokingly say that the movie would be a failure if there wasn't a moment when Stark said "No shit, Sherlock" to Dr. Strange. That joke would have made me laugh but it could be argued that it breaks the fourth wall too much.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
So much for the "September" estimate from Target.

I just saw a sponsored Facebook ad from the official Avengers page listing an August 14 release date for Infinity War on Blu-ray, UHD, and digital. This feels remarkably soon to me, but is I suppose consistent with Disney's quick-quick-quick release patterns. (I also think Black Panther should not be on disc yet, but I have it next to me.)

Basically the exact same release window as Guardians Vol. 2 last year. I’m glad to be able to have it at home as soon as possible.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That seems like the standard Disney window at this point - that'll be a little over three months since the theatrical debut to digital window, and about 3 1/2 months for the physical product. At this point, Disney has one of the longer windows between theatrical and home viewing. Star Wars had a slightly longer window when Disney started putting out those releases, but that's collapsed too - The Last Jedi debuted in theaters in mid-December and was out on disc by the end of March.

Fox is down to about two months now - Logan, for instance, debuted in theaters last March and was on disc last May.

It's hard for me to imagine Infinity War still playing on many screens by the end of July. Disney will be giving priority to their own Ant-Man And The Wasp release at that point, and theater owners will have moved on to other blockbusters.

I'm not necessarily thrilled with this. I wish that fewer films received IMAX releases, and that those releases lasted longer - it seems crazy to me that Disney went to the trouble of having Infinity War shot on IMAX cameras, but that it was only available in that format for three weeks. I remember when The Dark Knight Rises came out in July 2012, I was still able to see it in IMAX in September 2012. I would be very interested in seeing Infinity War again on an IMAX 3D screen, but have little interest in revisiting it on a standard 2D screen, regardless of when the home video release is scheduled.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I’m sure this is just me, but I’ve never been impressed with the look of Thanos. He doesn’t look evil enough. I keep wanting to tell him to give his chin a good scrubbing with a wash cloth.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think that’s probably why they gave a few characters, most prominently Chris Pratt’s Starlord, some jokes about the look of Thanos. I thought the idea was to get ahead of the audience and point it out so that the audience can acknowledge it’s a silly design and then move past that.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Before the movie came out, I saw someone on Twitter jokingly say that the movie would be a failure if there wasn't a moment when Stark said "No shit, Sherlock" to Dr. Strange. That joke would have made me laugh but it could be argued that it breaks the fourth wall too much.

I'm still waiting for a Doctor Strange and Everett Ross meet up! :)

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim

I think the better version would be Spiderman saying to both Stark and Strange at the same time: "No shit, Sherlocks!"

But yes - 4th wall destroyed.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
While I understand why fans would want to have it, I think any potential reference to Sherlock would be more appropriate for Deadpool to make at this movie's expense, and am kind of surprised they didn't play that card, given how many other MCU jokes made it in there.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
A great, detailed spoiler interview with Infinity War screenwriters Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely about the making of the film.

In listening to the interview, it is a deep dive and spoiler-laden for this film, but they still have to dance around a lot of topics and leave things unsaid due to Avengers 4 being unreleased. This made me realize that if the Blu-ray has commentary (which it seems likely to), the participants on that commentary (which will likely include Markus, McFeely and the Russos) will also have to be dancing around things there too for the same reason. I'm not really a huge fan of encouraging double dips, but I would be genuinely more interested in a commentary for Infinity War that could be released next year after we've all seen Avengers 4, so that they can really dig into the process of creating both films as a continuing arc. So, I mean, I would consider double dipping for that if there is a "big spoiler commentary" for both films next year. Of course, the commentary for Avengers 4 will be able to do that, but I assume it will be mostly screen-specific to that movie, so we may never get a fully unburdened spoiler track about how Infinity War works in tandem with 4.

Just saying.

Last edited:

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
A great, detailed spoiler interview with Infinity War screenwriters Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely about the making of the film.

In listening to the interview, it is a deep dive and spoiler-laden for this film, but they still have to dance around a lot of topics and leave things unsaid due to Avengers 4 being unreleased. This made me realize that if the Blu-ray has commentary (which it seems likely to), the participants on that commentary (which will likely include Markus, McFeely and the Russos) will also have to be dancing around things there too for the same reason. I'm not really a huge fan of encouraging double dips, but I would be genuinely more interested in a commentary for Infinity War that could be released next year after we've all seen Avengers 4, so that they can really dig into the process of creating both films as a continuing arc. So, I mean, I would consider double dipping for that if there is a "big spoiler commentary" for both films next year. Of course, the commentary for Avengers 4 will be able to do that, but I assume it will be mostly screen-specific to that movie, so we may never get a fully unburdened spoiler track about how Infinity War works in tandem with 4.

Just saying.

I agree with you on this. I can't imagine what the extras on the disc would be like given that they will not want to spoil Avengers 4. Any featurette regarding the making of the movie would be nothing but fluff.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I agree with you on this. I can't imagine what the extras on the disc would be like given that they will not want to spoil Avengers 4. Any featurette regarding the making of the movie would be nothing but fluff.
What, and miss the usual we-all-love-each-other stuff?!!!

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.

Eh, they can't all be Deadpool.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

Just saying.

Thanks for that Jake. Yes, it is a very good interview. Definitely recommend a watch.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
What, and miss the usual we-all-love-each-other stuff?!!!

Oh, I'll watch what's on the version coming out in August anyway. I just think that next year, they would be able to go into greater detail on the process for the whole thing.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Promotional material for Avengers 4 is starting to pop up, and it's believed that unless Marvel announces the title first (and soon), it will be one of the licensees that leaks it.

Here is some promotional artwork for A4 (possible spoilers):

https://mcuexchange.com/avengers-4-potential-concept-art/

https://mcucosmic.com/2018/06/05/le...t-features-the-full-team-and-thanos-spoilers/
I'd guess that they're going to announce it just before San Diego Comic Con (which is in about a month and a half). It'd be cool if they could keep it secret until they were on stage at the Marvel panel but with all the people that would be in the loop, that seems nearly impossible to pull off so I think they'll announce it just before SDCC starts.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I'd guess that they're going to announce it just before San Diego Comic Con (which is in about a month and a half). It'd be cool if they could keep it secret until they were on stage at the Marvel panel but with all the people that would be in the loop, that seems nearly impossible to pull off so I think they'll announce it just before SDCC starts.
There is no Marvel panel this year at SDCC. They’ll have a limited presence in the floor, but no comic con or D23 for them this year.

I could still see them announcing it around that time, but I wouldn’t be surprised at all if it’s not until the Fall. The fact that they aren’t presenting at SDCC makes me feel it is more likely they are going to wait until later this year tI give info on A4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks