What's new

Avengers: Infinity War -- Spoilers Thread (1 Viewer)

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
But I don’t think they are misleading in saying that whatever happens to resolve this will have to come at a great cost.

And, unfortunately, this great cost will probably be the death of Iron Man and Cap. When I say unfortunately, I mean unfortunately for their hopeful massive impact. Yes, it will be sad and so on, but we've known for quite some time what the actors in these roles want - and that's "out". This is part of the double edged sword of us knowing all these things about the actors and thus the impact on their characters going forward.

I doubt Black Widow will die - she has a movie coming up, and even though I know it's meant to be her backstory (I think?) I don't think they will mess with the idea of doing a prequel for a dead character. Yes, Disney is trying it out with the Solo film - but if I recall correctly a lot of people were not wishing for this movie to be made, so it's not exactly a great comparative example.

Could Thor go? Possibly. He seems happier since they let him go with his own hair - he hated the Thor wig, but they accommodated him BIG time by shooting Ragnarok in Australia, so he seems to be getting a little more high maintenance. ;)

I think it's almost assured though that we can expect to see Pepper in a black dress in Avengers 4.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
For the first time since the gap between STAR WARS and THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK, I'm really excited to see the next Avengers movie. It's the ten years-plus of work, the foundation these movies are built on, that is the source of my wondrous excitement. Plus I have no reason to think I'm going to be let down.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
For those who saw the IMAX version, was there extra video info in the top and bottom sections of the frame (meaning, boxier aspect ratio closer to IMAX AR)?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Markus discussing some of the characters getting less screen time in this.

“Some of the people, when you weigh up who you are seeing, seem to take a little bit of a back seat in this one. When we did crack them, what we realized was they had far more potential in the movie coming next year, just in terms of how their character would be tested by the story. I’m not telling you what the story is. I will say there is less Steve Rogers and Natasha (Scarlett Johansson) than you might expect in this movie [Infinity War]. Because they are such hard-bitten people, when a threat comes, they stand there and they take the threat. They don’t crack. They don’t whimper. They don’t start talking about all their failed opportunities. So, there isn’t that much to explore, especially when you don’t have a lot of time. But there’s a lot later.”

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Having now seen the Ant-Man and the Wasp trailer, and building off of my two theories earlier in this thread, here is my final theory (for now):
  • Avengers 4 will obviously deal with the aftermath of the Snap. It may take place a few years later for reasons that will be made clear below.
  • If you look at who is left behind, each of them possesses interesting information: they know exactly where certain infinity stones were before Thanos got them:
    • Tony, Cap, Black Widow, Hulk, Thor, and Hawkeye know where in the past the space stone (the Tesseract) and the mind stone (Loki's staff) were: the Battle of NY. At this time, Thanos had "given" Loki the staff in order to retrieve the Tesseract, so for a small portion of time, the heroes know where these stones are and they aren't in Thanos' possession.
    • Rocket knows that in the past, Peter got the power stone on some planet. He probably knows the exact location. At this point in time, it is not in Thanos' possession and it is not in Ronan's possession, either.
    • Thor knows that in the past, the reality stone (the aether) is hidden away at a location that could be reached through a portal (the one Jane went through). At this point, the aether has not "infected" Jane, Thanos doesns't have it, and neither does Malakith.
    • Wong (I have to assume for purpose of this theory that he's still alive) knows that in the past, the time stone is safely kept at in the Eye of Agamotto at Kamar-Taj. At this point in time, it's nominally guarded by the Ancient One and the rest of the Order, but Thanos doesn't have it.
    • Nebula knows exactly where in the past the soul stone is, because Gamora told her.
  • So, because those alive know when and where to go, the plan will be to gather the stones before Thanos.
  • Maybe instead simply of traveling back in time, the team will use the quantum realm to travel through the multiverse AND through time. Maybe the Wasp dies as part of the Snap, leaving behind a highly motivated Pym and Lang. Pym works with Tony and Shuri to find a way to travel back to the key points in time. If you've seen the "Timescape" episode of Star Trek TNG where some of the crew use modified emergency transporter armbands to create pockets of time around themselves so they can move freely through a temporal distortion, maybe Pym, Tony, and Shuri do something like that--creating pockets of their dimension while they travel through the multiverse.
  • Because the team is affecting an alternate universe, they don't have to worry about causality in the strict sense. However, what they are doing in the alternate universe will of course change its future. Peter Quill will never get the power stone, so the Guardians will never form. Maybe even this means Ego eventually wipes out the universe.
  • The team will have to move fast and potentially try to get each stone simultaneously, because Thanos will quickly figure out what is happening. Everyone will split up into smaller groups. Captain Marvel will join Rocket or Thor to go after the "off-world" stones. Perhaps Doctor Strange already sent his consciousness back in time/through realities to communicate with the Ancient One. When the team (Wong?) gets there, she simply hands it over.
  • At some point, a sacrifice will need to be made for the soul stone. Tony will sacrifice Cap, or vice versa (but I'm betting on Tony sacrificing Cap).
  • All of this will allow the characters (and the fans) to revisit key moments in the previous films.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I love your theory, Josh! Now it's the Avengers "stealing" the Stones before Thanos does. Bring it on!

Having now seen the Ant-Man and the Wasp trailer, and building off of my two theories earlier in this thread, here is my final theory (for now):
  • Avengers 4 will obviously deal with the aftermath of the Snap. It may take place a few years later for reasons that will be made clear below.
  • If you look at who is left behind, each of them possesses interesting information: they know exactly where certain infinity stones were before Thanos got them:
    • Tony, Cap, Black Widow, Hulk, Thor, and Hawkeye know where in the past the space stone (the Tesseract) and the mind stone (Loki's staff) were: the Battle of NY. At this time, Thanos had "given" Loki the staff in order to retrieve the Tesseract, so for a small portion of time, the heroes know where these stones are and they aren't in Thanos' possession.
    • Rocket knows that in the past, Peter got the power stone on some planet. He probably knows the exact location. At this point in time, it is not in Thanos' possession and it is not in Ronan's possession, either.
    • Thor knows that in the past, the reality stone (the aether) is hidden away at a location that could be reached through a portal (the one Jane went through). At this point, the aether has not "infected" Jane, Thanos doesns't have it, and neither does Malakith.
    • Wong (I have to assume for purpose of this theory that he's still alive) knows that in the past, the time stone is safely kept at in the Eye of Agamotto at Kamar-Taj. At this point in time, it's nominally guarded by the Ancient One and the rest of the Order, but Thanos doesn't have it.
    • Nebula knows exactly where in the past the soul stone is, because Gamora told her.
  • So, because those alive know when and where to go, the plan will be to gather the stones before Thanos.
  • Maybe instead simply of traveling back in time, the team will use the quantum realm to travel through the multiverse AND through time. Maybe the Wasp dies as part of the Snap, leaving behind a highly motivated Pym and Lang. Pym works with Tony and Shuri to find a way to travel back to the key points in time. If you've seen the "Timescape" episode of Star Trek TNG where some of the crew use modified emergency transporter armbands to create pockets of time around themselves so they can move freely through a temporal distortion, maybe Pym, Tony, and Shuri do something like that--creating pockets of their dimension while they travel through the multiverse.
  • Because the team is affecting an alternate universe, they don't have to worry about causality in the strict sense. However, what they are doing in the alternate universe will of course change its future. Peter Quill will never get the power stone, so the Guardians will never form. Maybe even this means Ego eventually wipes out the universe.
  • The team will have to move fast and potentially try to get each stone simultaneously, because Thanos will quickly figure out what is happening. Everyone will split up into smaller groups. Captain Marvel will join Rocket or Thor to go after the "off-world" stones. Perhaps Doctor Strange already sent his consciousness back in time/through realities to communicate with the Ancient One. When the team (Wong?) gets there, she simply hands it over.
  • At some point, a sacrifice will need to be made for the soul stone. Tony will sacrifice Cap, or vice versa (but I'm betting on Tony sacrificing Cap).
  • All of this will allow the characters (and the fans) to revisit key moments in the previous films.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I wouldn't be surprised if it went something along those lines.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
The plot hole of Thanos' plan is that it doesn't actually accomplish his goal of extending resources and greatly delaying destruction from over population and over consumption. On Earth it would take about 30 years to have the population back to where it is now. Only 50% is utterly pointless. What does 30 years buy us? He would have actually had to eliminate 99.9999% of the population to have a real impact on the problems. Given it cost him everything, why wouldn't he do it right?

I enjoyed the movie quite a bit but I think they needed a little more hope at the end and indication that certain things had to happen exactly that way to show something could be undone. Something like a quick clip of a tiny crack on the infinity gauntlet when they fought over it and something specific about how Thor hit Thanos. Right now all we have is Dr Strange's words that this is how it has to be with zero telegraphing so it looks like all the heroic efforts were pointless and it didn't matter whether they tried or they didn't try because there was nothing special about fighting him and him winning versus simply letting him win with no resistance. Give us a small bone here. Doing flashbacks in Avengers 4 would look more like retconning than having an actual plan from the beginning.

I thought the movie might break $300 million on opening weekend but maybe that is simply logistically impossible. Everyone seemed to really enjoy it although the theater was stunned silent at the end.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The plot hole of Thanos' plan is that it doesn't actually accomplish his goal of extending resources and greatly delaying destruction from over population and over consumption. On Earth it would take about 30 years to have the population back to where it is now. Only 50% is utterly pointless. What does 30 years buy us? He would have actually had to eliminate 99.9999% of the population to have a real impact on the problems. Given it cost him everything, why wouldn't he do it right?

This isn't a plot hole. It speaks to Thanos' not understanding human behavior or how society on Earth works, because he's not a member of humanity. He didn't do it right because he didn't understand what you're saying about his plan being wrong. Also, since he wiped out half the universe at once,he wasn't focused specifically on Earth, even though most of the fighting was with Earthlings.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
gAt some point, a sacrifice will need to be made for the soul stone. Tony will sacrifice Cap, or vice versa (but I'm betting on Tony sacrificing Cap).

We know because Chris Evans has said so that he will retire from the MCU after Avengers 4, so Cap sacrificing himself (again) make sense. But I don't think Tony could sacrifice him, because does Tony "love" Steve? After the way they left things, I doubt it. It's possible that Cap could choose to sacrifice himself so that Tony will get the soul stone.

If the person receiving the stone has to make the sacrifice, then I'd be more worried about Pepper than Steve, although Tony wouldn't be willing to give her up. Also worth noting is that if Steve goes for the Soul Stone, he will meet Red Skull again.

The only problem with your theory overall is that the more previous films they go back to, the less it will work for general audiences who aren't intimately acquainted with the previous films. They'll need to thread the needle carefully between honoring the previous films in a way that makes the fans happy and making the current film easily understandable, not necessarily for total newcomers, but more for casual audiences who might have seen every film once, but might not be experts on them.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
This isn't a plot hole. It speaks to Thanos' not understanding human behavior or how society on Earth works, because he's not a member of humanity. He didn't do it right because he didn't understand what you're saying about his plan being wrong. Also, since he wiped out half the universe at once,he wasn't focused specifically on Earth,even though most of the fighting was with Earthlings.
Regardless of the reproduction rate of a society, doubling the population after losing 50% to get back to where we are now will only take a tiny fraction of the time the society has been in existence. The longer the reproduction rate, the longer it took the society to get to their current population so it is in effect a wash. That is also assuming that the population rate of increase currently isn't reduced already because of shortages. When half the people disappear, the 'extra' resources and space may allow them to increase population even faster.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
On another note...because he told Tony that "It was the only way," I'm going to assume Dr. Strange gave Thanos the Time Stone because he saw that he had to do this to help result in the one future where they ultimately win.

What if, prior to giving Thanos the Time Stone, Strange put some sort of spell on it? Like, say, so that instead of wiping out half the population of the world, it sends them to the Quantum Realm instead? If so, they're not dead at all, and that is a logical explanation for where they all went to which is already built into Marvel's pre-existing storytelling, rather than them having to pull a rabbit out of a hat in order to bring back the "dead" characters in some random way. This would also explain why Ant-Man and the Wasp both get pulled into the next film to help facilitate their returns, especially if they get her mom out of there in the film that opens in the meantime (which seems very likely since we know that Michelle Pfeiffer is playing her.

I was thinking this exactly. I thought Strange must have put a spell on the stone.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
This has probably been talked about by others in this thread and the other thread, but what makes this film so good is Thanos. We finally have a villain that's multi-dimensional, smart, very powerful and who's motive for doing his evil is clearly understood as being more than just for personal gain. He actually believes he's doing what's best for everyone despite his quest for genocide to cull population in order for finite resources to be better distributed among the surviving races. Great writing and also great acting by Brolin.
Well said.
I've seen someone say well why didn’t Thanos just make more food and more resources..

Because he’s a lunatic for one thing and for another reason he’s a villain for a reason. The bad guy doesn’t try to make things better the right way. Their ideals are usually pretty skewed.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I brought this up in the Venom thread in what I felt was a vague, non-spoiler manner because we were discussing the relationship between Sony and Marvel and how it might sour. I still believe I worded it in such a way as it would not spoil what happens in Infinity War if you didn't already know. However, because others disagreed about the nature of spoilers in that post, I think it would be worth bringing up here in a more specific way.

Although I don't know that there is any way for us to find this out short of working for them, I would love to know how much Sony's team knows in advance about how Spider-Man is used in Avengers films. We know that the deal is Disney can use him in Avengers films (plus Civil War) in exchange for Sony being able to borrow other Avengers for Spider-Man films. But since Sony is not involved in Avengers films, are they told how he is going to be used?

Specifically -- and this is what I was trying to be vague about and not reveal in the Venom thread so that it would not spoil Infinity War -- were they told that he would disappear?

Because the release date of Homecoming 2 is two months after Avengers 4, Sony will probably want to start marketing for it prior to the release date of Avengers 4. Their first trailer for Homecoming was released, I think, in December 2016 ahead of its July 2017 release.

But given that Peter disappears in the end (I don't want to say he's dead since I'm not sure that is exactly true, but they want us to believe he is), marketing for the Homecoming sequel will have to reveal that he is in fact not dead, or was brought back to life, or whatever.

We know this anyway because of the fact that the Homecoming sequel exists (and because we have brains and know they wouldn't permanently kill Spider-Man in this way anyway.) But if Sony puts out a trailer for Homecoming 2 before we've seen Avengers 4, it's still going to show audiences that he is at school, on Earth, fighting a villain, before the narrative of Avengers 4 shows us how he survives Thanos' finger snap. That's gonna be super awkward.

So: Did Sony know ahead of time that Spider-Man was going to "disappear" or "die" or whatever in Infinity War? If not, I suspect Amy Pascal must be having an interesting conversation with Kevin Fiege this week.

Given this, as a fan I would really prefer that Homecoming 2 be dated for some later period in 2019 whereupon Avengers 4 could play out before marketing of Homecoming 2 had to begin. But since Spider-Man is Sony's project and Avengers 4 is not, Disney won't be able to convince them to move it back just so Avengers 4 gets to go first.

We also know that Sony, not Disney, is in charge of marketing for Spider-Man's solo films which they own. Can Marvel restrict what Sony puts in trailers and when they come out? Somehow I doubt it.

So, this is going to be interesting to follow and see what happens.
My issue with what you posted over there about Spider-Man was mostly the way you worded it.
The way it was written I had the impression that Spider-Man had in some way significantly impacted the way the IW movie ended. As if Spider-Man had been the one to defeat Thanos.

Having not yet seeen the movie I had no way to know if that is what happened or not.
Simply mentioning it the way you did should have been left out of the topic on another movie away from IW completely.

While watching the movie I was effected just thinking Spider-Man May have an impact on how the movie ends even though he really didn’t. It was in the back of my mind as the conclusion of that section of the movie was happening.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I haven’t read the whole thread, so I hope this has not been asked before. Near the end, Thanos goes to ...?... and sees the young Gamora? She asks him if he did it and what did it cost. Thanos says “everything”. I got two impressions from that scene: 1) Gamora seemed to be in charge and 2) Thanos seemed regretful.

What the hell did that scene mean?
I was thinking the same thing about Gamora being “in charge”

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I enjoyed the movie quite a bit but I think they needed a little more hope at the end and indication that certain things had to happen exactly that way to show something could be undone. Something like a quick clip of a tiny crack on the infinity gauntlet when they fought over it and something specific about how Thor hit Thanos.
Both of those things happened in the movie though.
The IG was severeLy damaged and Thanos himself said you should have gone for my head.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ok well I’ve gone through the topic and responded to a bunch of specific posts.

My thoughts are this movie was great and the best of all the Marvel movies.

The action was great and there was even a handful of really funny lines including when Quill says he’s going to get some dumbbells or barbells, Rocket says you know you can’t eat them.

I also saw irony in the after credit scene with Fury.
For some reason I don’t know the answer to, his character has never been a main character in any of the movies and has essentially made only cameo appearances.
Then he gets another cameo and is immediately erased from the whole Marvel Universe.

I didn’t realize right away that the s.o.s. Was going to Captain Marvel.
didn’t recognize the logo.

Loved it. 4.5 out of five.

Also the imax presentation was brilliant.
The 3D was very good especially compared to most 3D these days.

Will be seeing it again with Moviepass tomorrow so just regular D.

One more thing there was a credit thanking someone for the use of a Arrested Development character.
I saw him in the movie but unless you knew already it’s pretty hard to tell that it was an AD character.
It was David Cross’s character all blew’d and in his never nudes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks