What's new

Avengers: Infinity War (2018) (1 Viewer)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Good point.

Another good point. I hope we get to see how he acquired this knowledge, or at least understand his previous actions in the MCU from his perspective. In Ultron, he said, "Fine, I'll do it myself," but we know that Ragnarok is two years after Ultron, so what has he been doing for the last two years? I'm really curious as to what the impetus is that makes him do this now.

Well, just because that Thanos mid-credits scene played at the end of Ultron doesn’t necessarily mean that that moment happened in real time with the end of the events of that movie. The events of age of Ultron really have no connection to Thanos, though the way Whedon did that scene certainly is weird and confusing. I think he just wanted to put in a Thanos scene to tease that the next Avengers movie would focus on Thanos collecting the Infinity Stones. But its not like Ultron was working for Thanos like Loki and Ronan were. But the way that scene plays could erroneously imply that. Really kinda sloppy writing for that bit there from Whedon. Homecoming said that it was 8 years after The Avengers, and it just isn’t. Joe Russo recently said in an interview that that was wrong. So I wouldn’t get too hung up on timeframes.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Thanks. I know a running time of two and a half hours is probably considered standard nowadays, but to me that's leaning toward long.

Cap Civil War was 2h 28m. So about the same length for a story that involves even more characters and “vignettes” seems appropriate to me.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I agree, but I was referencing most movies I have seen lately. It's rare these days that a movie clocks in under 2hrs, at least the ones I see. It would be interesting to know if major Hollywood releases have gotten longer in the last ten years.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
to me that's leaning toward long.

That's two minutes longer than Civil War, and both running times take into account the long credit scroll of all involved parties' names. Yes, you've got to be there at the end for the tag, but it should still give you a bit of time for a stretch break and/or bathroom run if needed. So, considering how much they need to accomplish in Infinity War and how many characters need servicing, it seems like a minor miracle that it will clock in at two and a half.

Edit to acknowledge that Sean beat me to the punch saying essentially the same thing,

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I think he just wanted to put in a Thanos scene to tease that the next Avengers movie would focus on Thanos collecting the Infinity Stones.

I have no insider information whatsoever, but this has always seemed to me like something Fiege wanted rather than Whedon, because as you stated it has nothing to do with the story which preceded it and functions only to tee up a film that Whedon wouldn't ultimately be involved in. The Thanos tease in the end credits of The Avengers was actually finishing that movie's story by revealing that Thanos had been the puppet master behind Loki's invasion the whole time. The tag on Ultron felt like "Oh, yeah, just a reminder that this dude is still here."

We know that, for Ultron, Fiege wanted the Thor cave vision sequence to set up Infinity War and Whedon wanted the farmhouse with Hawkeye to service the current story, and they butted heads over these two things. Feige asking for another Thanos tease would seem to be consistent with his desire for Ultron to seed Infinity War, whereas Whedon's preference to service his movie's story would indicate that Infinity War setup was not on his to-do list. Plus, the Thanos tag also semi-connects it to Guardians because Thanos is in that, which was a hit for Marvel by that point, and announced to maybe less-aware audiences that those franchises would eventually cross over.

Speaking of Guardians: if Thanos lays waste to Xandar in order to get the orb, does that in some ways devalue the actions of the team in the first Guardians film, since they were just essentially delaying the inevitable rather than actually preventing it? Just throwing that out there.

Homecoming said that it was 8 years after The Avengers, and it just isn’t. Joe Russo recently said in an interview that that was wrong.

How that one got past them last year when pretty much all the fans caught the error immediately I'll never understand.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Thursday night showings are just about sold out. Do I go to one of them or to a showing early on Friday that doesn't have many seats already sold? I'm thinking the latter as a big guy I like my space.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The Thursday night showings are just about sold out. Do I go to one of them or to a showing early on Friday that doesn't have many seats already sold? I'm thinking the latter as a big guy I like my space.
There's shows starting at 9 AM on Friday at the various theaters near me so I'll go to one of the AM screenings. I figure there will be a decent crowd but it won't be pandemonium like Thursday night.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
When recently asked if they would be moving on from working with Marvel after Avengers 4, Joe Russo has said:

"Not yet. We love Marvel, that amazing experience with them and Disney. We love comic books. We love telling these stories. Obviously, the Fox / Disney mergers are incredibly exciting to us as comic book fans. We’re just trying to get Avengers 4 done and then, you know, we’d love to work with those guys again."

I was hoping this would be the case.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
When recently asked if they would be moving on from working with Marvel after Avengers 4, Joe Russo has said:

"Not yet. We love Marvel, that amazing experience with them and Disney. We love comic books. We love telling these stories. Obviously, the Fox / Disney mergers are incredibly exciting to us as comic book fans. We’re just trying to get Avengers 4 done and then, you know, we’d love to work with those guys again."

I was hoping this would be the case.
Not like I know but that sounds like there's already some plan between them and Marvel to work on something else. Since they specifically mention the Fox deal, maybe it's an X-movie or the FF?

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I am really looking forward to the premiere of this movie, not to see it right away myself (we usually wait a week or two after crowds die down), but to end this endless speculation! It will be really nice to read some reviews from people who have actually seen the movie!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Last edited:

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Not like I know but that sounds like there's already some plan between them and Marvel to work on something else. Since they specifically mention the Fox deal, maybe it's an X-movie or the FF?

I think they'd be perfect to resuscitate The Fantastic Four.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Christopher Markus (one of the writers) talks tone and humor.

"Thanos helps, right? I’d have to chart the movie, but in general people with more investment maybe are a little less quippy. If you remember in “Civil War,” the people who stole the airport fight were Spider-Man and Ant-Man. That’s because they had a little less invested in that family brawl."

"As the movie starts it might be a little funnier because the full weight of what’s happening hasn’t dawned on people, but as characters come together, as stakes become clear… It’s a really intense movie. It’s fun, it’s epic, but it’s intense. My hope is that you get the full range of human emotions and less quips. It’s suffering and delight
."

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
“It’s suffering and delight.”

Well, that’s an interesting description.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Rotten Tomatoes currently says that the tomato meter is unavailable but seeing as 10 of the 11 reviews currently up are fresh that comes out at around 91%.

Edited:
Big update just came in 39 fresh, 5 rotten at 90%.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
My local theater just posted their full showtimes for the weekend, including some times that had not been scheduled for advance ticketing until now.

All together, there will be 41 showtimes per day for Infinity War beginning on Friday.

Even on Thursday night, there will be 25 showings starting with the 3D "fan event" at 6pm, followed by regular-priced screenings in all available formats with the earliest at 7:00.

On Thursday night, the earliest standard 2D showtime was 7:30, which is what I pre-bought my ticket for about a month ago. They have since added an earlier 7:05, but I think I'll keep mine as-is since the 7:30, scheduled earlier, is on a bigger screen.

The last one for the night on Thursday is actually a midnight screening starting at 12:01am.

With so many screenings available, sellouts will be irrelevant, since if people get sold out of the screening they intend to see, they won't have to wait more than half an hour, if that, for another screening. Some of them are scheduled in 5-minute increments. The last one for the day beginning Friday is 11:15pm.

Oh, and Black Panther is still on one screen to itself, as well.

Amazingly, they also still have room for other movies too.

Last edited:

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I'm trying hard to avoid spoilers, and my understanding is that there are some significant ones to avoid. But I have been following the "social media reactions" from critics who've seen the movie at last night's premier and I'm really excited about what I've been hearing.

One thing to comment on regarding the relationship between this and Avengers 4 and the whole "Part One/Part Two" speculation is that it seems that the story will be directly continuing on in Avengers 4. At least that is the impression I got from the reaction tweets. This didn't seem like a story that should be all wrapped up in one movie, especially considering that both IW and A4 are billed as a culmination of the current MCU, and I was really scratching my head about how Avengers 4 could possibly be something completely different and separate. You've can't really have two separate culmination movies. So I'm also glad that this looks to be the case.

I think in their efforts to make the point that they didn't just shoot one long movie and then pick some arbitrary mid-way break (like what has been done with some other two-parters), and that the "narrative" of this movie has a beginning, middle and end while the "narrative" of the next has a beginning, middle and end, there may have been an erroneous interpretation by many regarding what that meant for the relationship between the two, giving the impression that they could possibly be two completely separate things. But it doesn't look like that will be the case, and there will certainly be a clear continuation of a larger story between the two. Though I'm still pretty unclear on exactly what to expect and hope to remain that way until Friday night.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks