What's new

Avengers: Infinity War (2018) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Russo’s have also said that brining some characters’ stories to a conclusion doesn’t necessarily have to mean death, which I think is a good thing. I understand the dramatic impact of the death of a major character, but I like the idea of some characters possibly just finding another path, stepping back, or maybe finding some peace/reward at the end of their journey. I suspect we’ll probably see a bit of both.
Off the top of my head, I expect Scarlet Witch, Vision and Hawkeye to be some of those characters.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
The other thing to keep in mind is that one of the infinity stones is the time stone -- which we saw Benedict Cumberbatch use in Doctor Strange to turn back time and erase a catastrophic disaster.

So I think it's entirely possible that Avengers 3 could end with a lot of people dead and defeated, and that Avengers 4 could undo most or all of that damage.

(As a possible bit of evidence for a time changing scenario, there was a production still released early on during the Avengers 3/4 shoot showing Tony with the arc reactor in his chest that had been removed at the end of Iron Man 3. It's possible that he could need it reimplanted in the course of the two films, or it's possible that it's a flashback sequence, but it also seems possible that time has changed and the events that led him to having it removed may be undone.)

I think this could be Robert Downey Jr's exit from the franchise. He is signed for both Avengers 3 and 4, but his deal ends after that. Around the time of either Civil War or Spider-Man Homecoming, he did mention having interest in doing an Iron Man 4 (something he had earlier dismissed the possibility of doing) so it's possible that he could have had a change of heart. Downey gets about $50 million for each one of these Marvel films he does now, and there's simply no place else that he can get that kind of paycheck. It's a hard thing to turn down.

If you would have asked me a few years ago, I would have thought Chris Evans would have been on his way out. At a certain point (around the time of Winter Soldier or Avengers 2), Evans expressed some fatigue and complained about the length of his contract, and made it sound like he was looking to get his life back. But like Downey, there isn't another role that will pay him what he gets to be Captain America. The general audience does not consider him a star in the way Downey is considered a star, and his films made outside Marvel haven't set the box office on fire. Being in the Marvel films affords him financial security and keeps his star power high, which probably allows him more clout when it comes to getting financing for smaller films. He's also about to start appearing on Broadway, so the idea that he could juggle Marvel and small films and stage work may be appealing for him. He's certainly sounded much more positive about his association with Marvel in more recent times.

I think Hemsworth is likely to stick around. I think he had expressed some frustration at the makeup process for applying the Thor wig, but he's said that he had much more fun making Thor Ragnorak than the other standalones, and at this point, it seems that everyone is okay with him being Thor without the wig -- so if that's the dealbreaker for him, I think Marvel would accommodate him at this point.

So yeah, I think we'll be saying goodbye to some characters, but I'm just not sure who at this point.

I think the arc reactor seen on RDJ is something that Tony wears on his clothes which houses his new nano suit tech. Not certain, but I think that’s the deal.

There are set photos from A4 in which Cap and Thor appear exactly as they did in “The Avengers”. But Ant-Man is also present, along with Tony who has what looks to be lighter colored hair. So really hard to say what is going on there. The first thought most jump to is some form of time travel, but it could be a vision, an illusion, a BARF scenario, etc...

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Another thought that I had: we know the reason that Avengers 4 is still going by that name is because the subtitle itself is spoiler for the end of Infinity War.

When do you think we will get that title announcement?

We’ll have to see about that. I’m not convinced that the title will be a “spoiler for the end of Infinity War”. I think that the title may suggest something about some aspect of Infinity War that they think would be preferable to not have people disecting on discussion boards. Or it may simply give a better indication of where the story is going next, which they’d prefer that people aren’t disecting and discussing before they’ve even seen Infinity War (because they could infer some aspect of IW from knowing what comes next). But I think mostly they want people to be focused on THIS MOVIE first before they start the discussing the next one.

That being said, my bet would be an announcement of the title at least a month or two after IW hits theaters. And since there are typically big announcements made at San Diego Comic Con or at Disney’s D3 expo in that time period, I think it’s most likely the title will be announced at one of those.

Last edited:

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
If Tony Stark dies will there be another Iron Man?

There could always be another Iron Man. There’s one right now. James Rhodes’s War Machine. But there would never be another Tony Stark, which is the most significant aspect of the character. So possible, but yet technically... not possible.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Yeah, what’s that’s?

I actually am beginning to think it is the feeling I have when I realize there will be no 3D Blu ray release of these movies in North America, and I will have to go through hoops to get them from other countries and wait weeks longer!:wacko:

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Another thought: they've said that Homecoming 2 deals directly with the fallout of Avengers 4.

But, with a release date two months later, Sony will obviously want to start marketing Homecoming 2 (whatever it ends up being called) before Avengers 4 releases.

So...how does the marketing for that movie avoid spoiling the events of Avengers 4, which it is supposed to directly address?

You’re reading too much into that. Spider-Man 2 is still going to be its own story with Spidey going up against whatever villain they use. Just because the events of IW and A4 will inform some aspect of Peter’s mindset and possibly the “backdrop” of the film, the movie won’t be ABOUT that. Peter’s experience in Civil War had a significant impact on his state of mind in Homecoming. Would the marketing for Homecoming have spoiled Civil War for you if you hadn’t seen it yet? Nope.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
So I really want to watch that trailer, but I am trying to go dark on the film. I booked tickets today for a midnight showing.

Congrats to you. It’s a damn good trailer, but I wish I had the willpower to abstain. I will avoid any TV spots and will absolutely not what any clips that are released. I decided that I’d let myself watch this trailer a bunch of times today, and then that’s it.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I thought these were really cool.

Fandango is giving one of these posters to those who buy advanced tickets through them.

93C83C15-88B1-43E9-B17E-284A3335AF19.jpeg
727DC317-03BF-4E5E-8E74-4F25CA9E6EFD.jpeg
BF709AA3-D50D-41EC-802B-435555F2FE6B.jpeg
1431870C-A69A-49DD-9F47-5DED64EF81D6.jpeg
D8157B33-88C6-45A6-90AC-37F2F8ED9033.jpeg

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Those are much cooler posters than the official posters for general distribution.

I still love how much the drew on the Ben Reilly Spider-Man costume for Peter's Iron Spider suit in this. That was always my favorite of the Spider-Man costume designs.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Those are much cooler posters than the official posters for general distribution.

I agree. The official poster has way too many floating heads and is a distracting jumble to look at. I hope they come up with something more elegant for the eventual Blu-ray cover.

On that note, when do you all expect Infinity War to hit disc? The Marvel films that have kicked off summer usually end up on disc in mid-September, but last year Guardians 2 sped that up and released on August 22, with an even earlier digital release. I think they are better off holding this one for September again. Guardians was essentially done in theaters by the time its disc came out anyway, but in this case, I think they'd do better to let the film just continue playing and sort out the disc in the early fall.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I really like the theatrical poster. It reminds me a bit of some of the classic comic covers for related stories, and the colors have great pop.

I did think it was missing something though. But then I found this perfect version which addresses that shortcoming.

DBF18FD0-1411-4EA6-BD10-FEAFA0887A9C.jpeg

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
On that note, when do you all expect Infinity War to hit disc? The Marvel films that have kicked off summer usually end up on disc in mid-September, but last year Guardians 2 sped that up and released on August 22, with an even earlier digital release. I think they are better off holding this one for September again. Guardians was essentially done in theaters by the time its disc came out anyway, but in this case, I think they'd do better to let the film just continue playing and sort out the disc in the early fall.
I think August is likely for Infinity War on video because Disney also has to release Solo to a similar audience in the late summer/early fall. Since they won't want to release both movies at the same basic time or wait until October to release Solo, I'm guessing late August is Avengers and September is Star Wars.

I really like the theatrical poster. It reminds me a bit of some of the classic comic covers for related stories, and the colors have great pop.

I did think it was missing something though. But then I found this perfect version which addresses that shortcoming.

View attachment 44885
That must be good news for Hawkeye's future though. If he was going to die, I'd think they would feature him on the poster.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
The run time has been confirmed to be 156 minutes (2h 36m), which seems appropriate for film of this scale.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
There is a lot of talk about someone getting killed off in this movie.

Was it hinted at by Marvel?

If not, why do we assume it will happen? Can it not be a well crafted, emotional, and action packed movie without a death of one of the super heroes?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
There is a lot of talk about someone getting killed off in this movie.

Was it hinted at by Marvel?

If not, why do we assume it will happen?
Well, for one thing, I a lot of contracts are expiring after these films. Certain other actors (RDJ, Chris Evans) actually extended their contracts to participate in these movies.

So if they choose not to come back, or Marvel doesn't feel like handing out the big paydays it would take to get them back, it's a natural point for them to exit stage left.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks