What's new

Avengers: Infinity War (2018) (1 Viewer)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Its a teaser trailer! There will be two or three more before the movie opens.

...and then two or three more when the sequel opens in 2019!

Actually, since the movie is only 5 months away, I’m hoping they follow the same model they did for Ragnarok. Thor only had two. One teaser and one trailer. No need for a third trailer. Definitely not a 4th.

Last edited:

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Cool trailer. Obviously will screen with Last Jedi.

I loved the end with Thor's reaction to the arrival of the Guardians.

It's interesting to note that Thor maintains an eye patch as a result of Ragnarok. I suppose they expect most people have seen that now, as it (not to mention Loki and the Tesseract) would be considered spoilers for Ragnarok if you saw this trailer before seeing it.

I think that's one of the reasons they waited so long to release the trailer. In the stuff showed at San Diego Comic Con, Thor has both eyes. He also had both eyes (or they at least hid the side with the patch) in the promotional concept art that they have released. Clearly, they wanted to keep that as a surprise for the bulk of it's theatrical run. But now they've given audiences 4 weekends to see it before this trailer was released, and that's how Thor is now, so they aren't going to hide it anymore.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Color me spoiled. I never got a chance to see Ragnarok and have to wait for the inevitable 4K release.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This has that event feel that the original Avengers had. Age of Ultron was lacking in that regard.

Scarlett Johansson must have just been like, "Fuck it. I'm not dying my hair anymore." And Marvel went along with it.

Agreed - that was a great use of Alan Silvestri's theme which I have come to love.
100 percent. I'm really glad he's back to score this one.

I love what looks to be the Russos’ depiction of Pete’s Spider-Sense.
Me too.

It tells me that with this many characters there will probably be very little screen time for an actual plot (other than bad dude wants to destroy the world and good dudes stop him).
I think the fact that it's one story over two movies will help a bit in that regard. I am getting a bit weary of the big team-up movies, though, since they tend to feel busy. I hope after Avengers 4 Marvel takes some time to make really great standalone pictures again for a while.

Why do Marvel movies get a pass on there obvious CGI fight scenes but, DC does not? Just asking, I didn't really enjoy JL but, it wasn't because of the CGI it was because of the weak script IMO. Just seen many online complaining about the JL CGI yet Marvel movies seem to get a pass.
CG is a tool like any other. It can be used well or it can be used poorly. The Marvel CG battles tend to keep me engaged. The CG battles in Justice League did not. Wonder Woman also culminated in a big CG battle, but there weren't too many complaints about that since the CG was in service of character development.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This has that event feel that the original Avengers had. Age of Ultron was lacking in that regard.

I think that's my biggest disappointment with Age Of Ultron. I was expecting all Avengers movies to be the culmination of their respective phases, and Age Of Ultron is more or less a stand-alone movie. The original Avengers was brilliant in how it tied together both heroes, villains and plot points from earlier films. The pieces had been building for years. We knew the characters, we knew the villain, the thing that they were after made sense. And, it also functioned as a direct sequel to the film Captain America: The First Avenger because it showed Steve Rogers learning to live in the modern world. It did everything you'd want, in terms of tying up old narrative threads, giving us an exciting time, and pushing the storytelling forward.

I don't think Age Of Ultron really did that; I think Civil War was actually a better Avengers film. It had weight, it had heft, it had consequences. The plotting in Ultron is a mess, from the idea that the entire Avengers team had spent a year searching for Loki's stick to Ultron being created, almost instantly, almost entirely offscreen. My screenwriting professor always used to tell us "Show, don't tell." I think the first Avengers film follows that but the second film falters when it tells us things (and how we should feel about them) instead of letting them play out as they should. I think that the Snyderverse has also suffered from the "show, don't tell" problem, so it's by no means limited to Marvel.

CG is a tool like any other. It can be used well or it can be used poorly. The Marvel CG battles tend to keep me engaged. The CG battles in Justice League did not. Wonder Woman also culminated in a big CG battle, but there weren't too many complaints about that since the CG was in service of character development.

I don't know if it's just me but in general, I'm getting less and less interested in the fights at the end of these movies. I agree completely on Justice League - I was bored to death during those fights. I think a big difference between Justice League and the first Avengers - and the reason Avengers worked for me - is how their villains were handled. In Justice League, the villain is a CGI monster that never even has the illusion of appearing real or in the same physical space as the actors, and has no personality to speak of. We find out what he wants, and therefore, what the threat is, from a bit of narration that Wonder Woman gives. None of this resonates because we're just given all of this information. The first Avengers movie does such a better job with this. Similarly to Justice League, the threat is invasion by an alien army. But unlike Justice League, instead of leaving it up to a CGI monster to provide the villainy, in Avengers, Loki is able to act as the sort of front man for the interstellar bad guy band. Even though the space monsters are the actual threat, Loki holds the audience's interest because he's a well developed character, a threat we're already familiar with, and played by a real actor who can occupy and interact with the same physical space as the rest of the heroes. If you watch a movie like the original Avengers, I think it's possible to watch and believe that they might not all make it out of it alive, that someone could die at Loki's hands. Watching Justice League, it's impossible to believe that the CGI monster is going to kill Batman.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Pros:

Hulkbuster is back!
Thor and the guardians.
Bearded Cap.
Peter Parkers Spider sense.

Cons:

Thanos looks like a cgi monster
The iron spider suit looks weird
The running over the hill a la LOTR

I'm not sure what to think based on this trailer, but it does look better than Ultron, the Russos have a good track record so far, and I really enjoyed Dr. Strange, both GotG and Ragnarok. So I'm sure ill go see this.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
If you watch a movie like the original Avengers, I think it's possible to watch and believe that they might not all make it out of it alive, that someone could die at Loki's hands. Watching Justice League, it's impossible to believe that the CGI monster is going to kill Batman.

I don't believe any(big name) hero in a Marvel is ever in any real danger. Killing them off is just not going to happen, and if it does you can bet they will return in a future Marvel film...somehow.

This is why I have lost interest in most comic book movies. We know what the outcome will be before you sit down to watch it. Good super heroes in moderate danger against super bad guy we know will be defeated in the end. It is the story that makes it interesting, or not.
I'm going to watch this film mainly because of the inclusion of GOTG.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I don't believe any(big name) hero in a Marvel is ever in any real danger. Killing them off is just not going to happen, and if it does you can bet they will return in a future Marvel film...somehow.

This is why I have lost interest in most comic book movies. We know what the outcome will be before you sit down to watch it. Good super heroes in moderate danger against super bad guy we know will be defeated in the end. It is the story that makes it interesting, or not.
I'm going to watch this film mainly because of the inclusion of GOTG.

"So we know who we’re allowed to kill, and that’s about it. I don’t even think Marvel had any ideas about where they would go after [3 and 4]. It’s not an end for all of these characters; it’s an end for some of these characters. So some of these characters will go on. So it’s more complicated, that’s why it’s not a clean ending."

Not that I think it is required for a movie, or a series of movies, to have major deaths in order to have dramatic weight (it isn’t), but I think it is almost a guarantee that there will be some “endings” (death or otherwise) for some of the original group of main heroes by the end of Avengers 4.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I would generally agree with that BUT I think they want to surprise people so they will kill characters off and then they'll have someone new take up the dead character's mantle. So when Robert Downey gets bored & leaves or when Marvel gets tired of paying him the GDP of a small country to be in a movie, Tony Stark will be killed but Riri Williams (or whoever is currently Iron Man in comics) will be in the Iron Man armor in a future movie.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think part of the genius of the way Marvel has adapted these films is to keep the focus more on the individual character than the superhero that character acts as. So we spend much more time with Tony Stark than Iron Man, and when Stark puts on his suit, we feel that it's a job Stark is doing, not a personality that he's inhabiting (as opposed to Bruce Wayne "becoming" Batman). Even for a character like Captain America, he's better known in the movie world as Steve Rogers.

Avengers 4 will present a great opportunity to the producers to offer take-it-or-leave-it deals to cast members. If Robert Downey is willing to do future cameos in other heroes' films (perhaps similar to his Spider-Man appearance) for less than $20 million a movie, he could be offered a contract for those; if not, Tony Stark could die and someone else could take over. If Chris Evans can't be lured into signing another multiyear deal, then Avengers 4 can be scripted to end with Rogers sacrificing himself to save everyone and Bucky taking over the "Cap" mantle. Etc., etc.

I've been contemplating a jumping off point for me to back away from the Marvel universe, and I'm hoping that Avengers 4 will make a good closure point for me. I've enjoyed the ride, having seen almost every single one of their films (except Incredible Hulk) in theaters, but I also don't want to be on a cycle of 3-5 movies per year forever on a story that doesn't see any kind of resolution. So the idea that Avengers 4 could wrap up characters like Tony Stark, Steve Rogers and Thor and allow me to switch from seeing every single Marvel film to picking and choosing when or if I feel like one.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I've been contemplating a jumping off point for me to back away from the Marvel universe, and I'm hoping that Avengers 4 will make a good closure point for me. I've enjoyed the ride, having seen almost every single one of their films (except Incredible Hulk) in theaters, but I also don't want to be on a cycle of 3-5 movies per year forever on a story that doesn't see any kind of resolution. So the idea that Avengers 4 could wrap up characters like Tony Stark, Steve Rogers and Thor and allow me to switch from seeing every single Marvel film to picking and choosing when or if I feel like one.

I wasn't going to watch this movie, but I still like The Guardians of the Galaxy characters and think their interaction with the other heroes might be quite funny.

I think it is a sad day when I can't get excited about a super hero movie, but I have just seen so many and honestly they don't do much for me anymore. The first Avengers film and two GOTG films are the only ones I care about or would like to revisit on home video--I can't believe I bought every single BD of all the Marvel films released to this point and haven't watched about 95% of them(because I watched most all in the theater). And I don't plan to. That speaks volumes of the disposability of what these films mean to me. I just don't care about them after the first time viewing.

The DC films are a different story because those are the characters I truly like(and grew up reading the comic books), and seeing them all together in JL for the first time was very fresh for me(although some feel the story was stale). So I will continue on with those films as long as they are made...or until I get burned out on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks