What's new

Avengers: Infinity War (2018) (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I've been rewatching all of the previous MCU movies (and the Marvel One-Shots on the Blu-rays) in preparation for Infinity War.

I started on April 2nd, been going in release order, and last night watched Avengers: Age Of Ultron. Should be able to make it through the rest before the big day. The BD3D import from India is supposed to be released tomorrow and the eBay seller says that it will ship immediately, so here's hoping that it might show up on my doorstep in time to rewatch before Infinity War.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
While I was watching my usual TV tonight, a TV spot for this was shown a few times, and I saw it and I thought two hings.

1) That's two weeks from tonight. Two weeks from the time I'm writing this, I'll already have seen the whole movie, and probably will be posting here to discuss it with others who've gone out early (with appropriate spoiler tags, of course.) That's nuts to me that we are actually this close.

2) The marketing tagline they're using now is, "On April 27, where will you be when it all ends?" This is certainly supposed to make it sound dramatic, and it does -- but I wonder how much is actually going to end here, because we know Avengers 4 is coming next year, and most press I've read about it have considered both of them -- not just this one -- to be the "culmination films." So, how much ends and how much is left for next year? I know they're saying now that these are two separate stories, but I still think that's a legitimate question, because of course Infinity War will be leading into the other story.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
While I was watching my usual TV tonight, a TV spot for this was shown a few times, and I saw it and I thought two hings.

1) That's two weeks from tonight. Two weeks from the time I'm writing this, I'll already have seen the whole movie, and probably will be posting here to discuss it with others who've gone out early (with appropriate spoiler tags, of course.) That's nuts to me that we are actually this close.

2) The marketing tagline they're using now is, "On April 27, where will you be when it all ends?" This is certainly supposed to make it sound dramatic, and it does -- but I wonder how much is actually going to end here, because we know Avengers 4 is coming next year, and most press I've read about it have considered both of them -- not just this one -- to be the "culmination films." So, how much ends and how much is left for next year? I know they're saying now that these are two separate stories, but I still think that's a legitimate question, because of course Infinity War will be leading into the other story.

Yeah, I think saying “the Beginning of the End” would probably be more accurate. Then again, no one has actually seen this movie yet and we really don’t know what A4 is going to be. So who knows? I guess most of us will have a better sense of what the second one is likely to be in two weeks.

They have definitely stated that there is a narrative that connects both movies, but they have stated that they are two separate films and not one movie split into two. I’ve read quotes from Josh Brolin implying that he is in both this and A4, so I’m expecting the two stories to be closely related.

I think the marketing department is just trying to not broadcast that another Avengers movie is comming next year. I think they’d like a good portion of the general audience to be surprised when they realize that another final chapter of this story is on its way but to not be thinking about that before they see this movie.

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I think the marketing department is just trying to not broadcast that another Avengers movie is comming next year. I think they’d like a good portion of the general audience to be surprised when they realize that another final chapter of this story is on its way but to not be thinking about that before they see this movie.

You don't think A:IW ends with the tag "The Avengers will return in Avengers: [Insert Name Here] on May 3, 2019"?

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
You don't think A:IW ends with the tag "The Avengers will return in Avengers: [Insert Name Here] on May 3, 2019"?

Sure, but that is when the movie is over. Anyone reading that on the screen will have already seen the movie. My point was that I feel they don’t want people to be thinking too much about the next movie BEFORE they see this one.

As far as the full title being part of that, I’m not sure. I could certainly see the subtitle being included. But I could also seeing them possibly waiting until later in the summer to announce the subtitle depending on how significant it is and whether they’d prefer that the majority of the audience has seen the movie before the title of the next one starts making internet headlines.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yeah, they could just as easily end this movie with "The Avengers will return" and could always put on the end of Ant-Man 2 that "Ant-Man will return in Avengers 4!"

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I think the reason they won't put the title in the end of this film is because if they do that, it will be all over the internet the minute the first screenings are over. We know that they consider the title to be a spoiler for Infinity War, and they obviously want to give people who don't go to the very first screening a chance to enjoy Infinity War without spoilers. I would think that the title will probably be revealed at Comic-Con, which will give everybody a couple of months to see the movie and allow them to reveal it to a room full of their most ardent fans.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
https://superbromovies.com/2018/04/...egan-with-captain-america-the-winter-soldier/

“For us, this was the challenge of telling the story but also completing the personal journey that we started as storytellers in Winter Soldier. So the story that began in Winter Soldier and that ends in Avengers 4 is a, there’s a very personal arc there for us. I think you’ll understand our point of view as filmmakers and who we are as people when you watch all four of those movies together.”

6056432D-9DC0-4B63-85BF-67922F355999.gif

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
The Russos say the title of A4 will NOT be revealed at the end of Infinity War.

"No, no. It’s going to be quite a long while before people see that title. We need people to see this movie, digest this movie, and then we can tell them what the next story is they’re going to see."

"It’s a complete story. It’s got a beginning, middle and an end and the next movie has a beginning, middle and an end, in the same way that Civil War handed off to Infinity War and Infinity War will hand off to the next movie. It’s serialised storytelling without question so there is going to be a correlation, narratively, but we really wanted to make two distinct movies. We weren’t interested in making one long film and getting out the scissors and cutting the scissors and cutting it in half."

"We don’t find that a satisfying cinematic experience so this is a complete story, that’s a complete story, and they’re very different movies."

Pretty much what I thought. Though I’m curious how they can follow the Infinity Stone story with another different story as a “culmination”. I really don’t know what to expect for A4. I expected Thanos to still be involved, but I’m really just not sure. Unless A4 still involves Thanos and the stones in some way but with a changed situation and character goals.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Casting news for this movie but since it reveals a new character, I'll use spoilers:
Carrie Coon is playing Proxima Midnight. I haven't a clue who that character is but I do know that Carrie Coon is one of the best actors working today so she'll nail it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
That action figure is part of the current Toy line of characters from the Infinity War line.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Casting news for this movie but since it reveals a new character, I'll use spoilers:
Carrie Coon is playing Proxima Midnight. I haven't a clue who that character is but I do know that Carrie Coon is one of the best actors working today so she'll nail it.

She is providing the voice for a digital/motion capture character. One of Thanos’ “Black Order”

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
“There were more than a dozen extinction level events before even the dinosaurs got theirs.

When the Earth starts to settle, God throws a stone at it, and believe me, he's winding up.”

- Ultron

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I've been really impressed at how quickly and how deftly Disney marketing responded to the unexpectedly massive success of Black Panther to re-focus its marketing for Infinity War around Wakanda. It's kind of crazy that moviegoers who loved Black Panther can take a return trip to that world less than three months later.

One thing that's frustrating: The entire movie is in 1.9:1 aspect ratio in IMAX theaters but 2.39:1 aspect ratio in conventional theaters. Why not just release it in 1.85:1 in conventional theaters, rather than trying to serve two masters with the framing and composition? I've got to think that the 1.9:1 version has a lot of inconsequential information at top and bottom, and the 2.39:1 version is framed too tightly.

Hopefully the disc release will be in 1.9:1. As the first true 4K MCU production, this should look spectacular in UHD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks