1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Avengers: Endgame SPOILERS ALLOWED THREAD

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Jake Lipson, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    World Wide Box office update.

$40 million away from overtaking Avatar as the #1 film all time (unadjusted) at the box-office.

2. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

IMHO there's only one suitable song for an Avengers Training Montage (start at 40 seconds, forum software won't let me paste the start time)...

3. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    Endgame has now passed Avatar’s original theatrical world wide box office by about a half million (before Avatar did the extended rerelease). Would be nice if the expansion helped it get that last roughly $40 million it needs to become #1, but that is a pretty steep hill to climb at this point in its run.

If this was an “extended edition” type of thing it would be more likely, but I’m not sure how much a few extra things after the credits will draw ticket sales. Either way, it’s a hell of an accomplishment for Marvel Studios.

4. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    What’s more impressive is Avatar did these numbers 10 years ago!

Wikipedia
    By the end of its first theatrical release Avatar had grossed $749,766,139 in the U.S. and Canada, and $1,999,298,189 in other territories, for a worldwide total of $2,749,064,328.[5]

Including the revenue from a re-release of Avatar featuring extended footage, Avatargrossed $760,507,625 in the U.S. and Canada, and $2,027,457,462 in other countries for a worldwide total of $2,787,965,087

Amazing

Sean Bryan likes this.
  5. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    So Avatar’s rerelease added about $38 million to its WW totals...about what Avengers needs now to overtake Avatar.

I think Disney will absolutely keep it in theaters ala Black Panther until it does. No matter how long it takes.

Sean Bryan likes this.
  6. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    “Whatever it takes”

Tino and Josh Steinberg like this.
  7. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Screenwriter

Joel Fontenot
    I got the wheel chair reference.

But the Baxter Building comment meant nothing to me. My only exposure to the Fantastic Four was the 2005 movie that I only saw most of once on a cable TV airing years ago. If they referenced it there, I either missed it, wasn't paying attention, or had no understanding of the meaning to remember it.

Tino likes this.
  8. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Even if they do pass Avatar, it will be by a very small margin. Small enough that -- should Disney want to re-release the original Avatar in theaters before the first sequel finally comes out -- Avatar could conceivably retake the title in 2021 sometime. I think Marvel would love to have the #1 movie of all time, and it's a nice headline for Disney. But Disney owns both Avatar and Endgame now, so do the higher ups really have any reason to care that much about which one is #1 and which one is #2?

9. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

It's funny, all of this jockeying to be #1 in ticket sales monetarily. I know there are plenty of sites out there that attempt to adjust box office sales for inflation, which they say gives a truer tale of a movie's popularity.

This site (and I can't vouch for it's accuracy) attempts to compile total tickets sold, which is another interesting way to look at it: https://mrob.com/pub/film-video/topadj.html

They also make an argument that it would be even more meaningful to measure ticket sales as a percentage of population at the time. That would make GWTW's total eye-popping, in that the site claims 225.7M tickets sold over what I presume are several theatrical runs (given how they didn't have Blu-Ray or UHD :D).

A quick Google-fu reveals the U.S. population in 1939 as 130.9M. :eek:

I'm not going to Google all the census numbers, but just eyeballing that list, GWTW may be the only movie whose number of tickets sold is higher than the US Population at the time of release.

10. Message #670 of 700 Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Announced today: Bonus content will include an introduction from Anthony Russo, plus "an unfinished deleted scene" and a sneak peak of Far From Home -- which comes out four days later.

You'll also get a poster featuring the Iron Infinity Gauntlet while supplies last.

It's being called a "bring back event" rather than a re-release, which is fair. The original run never closed, so it can't technically be called a re-release.

Gotta say, this ain't much, and feels more like content from the Blu-ray than something that demands to be seen in a theater. It is also not being returned to the largest screen in my theater, so it won't be that different than seeing it on the smaller screens I've already seen it on.

11. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    There's also talk of an after credits scene that's focused on the Hulk.

12. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    If that's there, it's not part of Disney's announcement this morning.

13. Message #673 of 700 Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    Deleted scene = after credits scene focusing on Hulk

At least, that is what I would expect based on the info out there so far.

14. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    As much as I love the movie and would like to see it snag the #1 of all time spot, I’m not sure this is enough to get me back this weekend, considering other commitments and activities already planned.

I’m sure there will be a bump based on the tie-in with Far From Home and the expansion of the number of screens it’s on. But I don’t know that what is being added as theatrical “extras” will have much impact on that either way.

I feel like it is a little extra stuff from the home release that audience members get to see as a bonus for going to see it again because Far From Home is an epilogue to this, but the extra stuff isn’t the reason to go. It’s just a little something for those that do.

For me, a Far From Home preview is actually a reason NOT to go see this. I’ll be seeing it in one week, and I’d rather not see any more trailers or scenes from the movie before I do.

Josh Steinberg and Jake Lipson like this.
  15. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    Kevin Feige talks about how Far From Home is the actual end of “The Infinity Saga”:

“We’ve been working for many years on Infinity War and Endgame and Spider-Man: Far From Home. Those were the films that were culminating the entire Infinity Saga of the MCU. And as we were working on Endgame we realized that the true end of the entire Infinity Saga, the final film of Phase 3, had to be Spider-Man: Far From Home, because we lose Tony Stark at the end of Endgame."

"The relationship between Peter Parker and Tony Stark is so special over the five films that Tom Holland has portrayed Spider-Man in the MCU, that we needed to see where his journey went, and see how does Spider-Man step out of the shadow of his mentor, Tony Stark, and become the true hero that he was always meant to be. And it’s for that reason that Endgame and Spider-Man: Far From Home are essentially two pieces of the same story, and it’s not over yet until Spider-Man: Far From Home."

16. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I read somewhere that the sneak peak of Spider-Man that is currently running with Endgame is the first two minutes in their entirety.

I fail to see why this is a big deal considering that the movie comes out in four days, and like Sean, I would prefer not to see any more clips until the movie comes out.

17. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I think that's probably a better choice than simply including one of the trailers that's already been seen, or creating a new exclusive trailer that might potentially have even more spoilers from the film.

Kind of like when the paperback version of a novel includes the first couple of chapters from the author's next novel.

Adam Lenhardt likes this.
  18. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I get the analogy, but I already have my ticket for Spider-Man for next Tuesday. It just doesn't seem to matter, to me personally, whether I see two minutes this weekend or on Tuesday, since I already know I'm going to see the movie.

I'd also go so far as to assume that anyone interested in seeing Endgame again for the deleted scene is probably also already planning to see Spider-Man. So seeing two minutes a few days ahead of time really isn't a big deal.

The most interesting thing about this is that Disney is attaching the first two minutes of a Sony release to a Disney release. But even that makes sense given the agreement they have to share the Spider-Man character for the MCU.

19. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    holtge likes this.
  20. AshJW

AshJW Supporting Actor

Thomas
    Unbelievable :eek:, what a jerk!

holtge and Jake Lipson like this.