What's new

Avengers: Endgame SPOILERS ALLOWED THREAD (1 Viewer)

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Benedict Wong. Pointed out because, what are the chances that two Benedicts star in the same movie and the one named Wong plays Wong?

Great catch, my bad!! I feel ashamed from failing my namesake! :emoji_flushed:

I think I conflated his name with Benjamin Bratt, who was also in Dr Strange (3 Bens!!)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
My local multiplex, which has 20 screens, is dropping its second screen of Endgame on Friday. This will give the movie three showtimes per day going forward, as it is now on only one screen in the complex for the first time.

It does appear that the running time is going to be an issue in terms of it maintaining screens in the back end of its run. Last year, I don't remember exactly because I only saw it once but I'm pretty sure Infinity War was hanging around through at least the beginning of July.

But Endgame being 3.5 hours with trailers and everything means that they could probably screen something like Toy Story 3 (which runs 1 hour 40 minutes) twice in the span of time that it takes for Endgame to screen once. The length wasn't really a problem for the opening couple weekends when they'd simply add as many screens as possible, but now that it's getting older and facing more competition, I do think they will start to lose screens at a faster rate.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Angry fans started a petition to have Marvel bring back Tony so he can raise his daughter.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
He's a fictional character with a fictional daughter. These people need to get a life.
:rolling-smiley:
Too True

There are so many issues going on in the world today that really need people to care about it (and I'm going to stay intentionally vague to honor this forum's no politics policy) that it's sad to see people get so worked up over Tony's death or a bad season of Game of Thrones...:wacko:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Tony had probably the best ending a superhero character could hope for.

This.

One of the problems I always had with comic book stories, even as a kid, is that they never end. Now, that's the nature of the publishing world. You have to keep your characters active and making you money, keep the copyright active, and so on. But it means that every character goes on and on and there's never a conclusion (and the stories get more and more far-fetched). I also do not believe the conclusion to every character's story has to be death - in fact, I hate that. It's an over-used cliche. (See Captain America's fate as a way to conclude a character in a beautiful way that doesn't involve death.) If the MCU can give these characters a sense of closure and resolve their lives in a satisfactory manner, I'm all for it.

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
I would even argue that Black Widow's death was a heroic one as well. She sacrificed herself for the restoration of half of all life in the universe. If a superhero has to die---especially one that had a lot of red in her ledger---you can't have a more satisfying end to your arc than that. Does it suck that Natasha Romanov and Tony Stark both died to ensure that Thanos could be stopped? Absolutely. But as their mantra over the course of that film stated, "Whatever it takes," they both literally laid down their lives for the betterment of the universe. I, for one, am completely satisfied that this win cost something because it means something, as well. So good!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Black Widow. Though we haven't been shown it onscreen, we hear how Clint "redeemed" her from her previous life, and so she now in turn redeems him in some way with hers.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
According to this Empire podcast with the directors and writers, Tony's last line to Thanos was, during one of the takes of the script, going to be "Fuck off, Thanos" or "Fuck you, Thanos."

https://www.empireonline.com/movies...-spoiler-special-interviews-ft-russos-markus/

I have no problem with that kind of language, but I think what they ultimately used was better, as it tied into the first Iron Man film and brought the whole thing full circle.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
That would have seemed out of place for this franchise for the same reason I don't think Deadpool should cross into the MCU. It's a issue of consistent tone and audiences knowing what to expect (or not to expect) from a franchise that lots of families enjoy together.

Plus, as Sam noted, "I am Iron Man" is the right choice anyway.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The Digital Bits is reporting today that Disney will release Endgame on Blu-ray on August 13. Disney hasn't officially announced it yet, but this is the same week that they put out Infinity War last year, so it makes sense. Also, Digital Bits has cover art up which is the same as the final theatrical poster.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Rewatched Guardians of the Galaxy tonight (excellent 3D, by the way). In hindsight, it's amazing how much heavy lifting they put on this movie, with a relatively obscure group of characters, to launch much of the plot that would lead to the conclusion of Infinity War/Endgame. The film was not guaranteed to be a sure smash hit by any means. If this film had bombed, I wonder how that might have changed Marvel's plans?

Have they before? I'm not sure what you're referencing.
The Disney/Marvel discs have a less than stellar reputation for the sound levels. It's usually quite low compared to other discs. I always have to boost the volume, subwoofer, and channel outputs to bring it even close to the reference level of other discs.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
If this film had bombed, I wonder how that might have changed Marvel's plans?

Good question, but thank goodness that didn't happen. The Guardians are my favorite characters in the MCU. Obviously, Marvel didn't know ahead of time that Guardians was going to be as huge as it was, but they did know they were making a really good movie. I'm glad they were comfortable betting on that.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If this film had bombed, I wonder how that might have changed Marvel's plans?

I think the basic structure would have held, but maybe they would have found a way to repeat the exposition stuff in more popular films. I appreciate that they had enough trust in the audience to not have to waste time in Infinity War and Endgame explaining who everyone was.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Marvel uploaded a music video for the "Portals" track from Alan Silvestri's score. This is a nice idea in theory, but it's just a bunch of still images and doesn't actually include any footage of the portals.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks