What's new

Avengers: Endgame SPOILERS ALLOWED THREAD (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Ever since the search engine changed, I've never been able to figure it out.

It's right up there to the right of the notification bell. It has been as long as I can remember.

The post you're referring to is:

The disc commentary will likely address this and other story points. My question is, will the movie stream at the end of July with the disc coming in mid-August, or will the November launch of Disney Plus delay the streaming and thus the disc release?

I hope it's not delayed. Not since the original Star Wars movie have I wanted to own a movie so badly as End Game.

There is nothing in that article that says the streaming purchase and disc releases will be delayed. It says the Disney+ release will be in December, which is the normal amount of time a film would normally take to arrive on a subscription service after a late-summer disc release.

Last year, Infinity War arrived for streaming purchase on July 31, disc purchase August 14 and on Netflix on December 25. There's nothing in that article to suggest the window has changed; it's just going to Disney+ instead of Netflix. I think you are getting hung up on the word "exclusive" as it relates to Disney+.

This means that Disney+ will be the exclusive subscription service to stream the movie. A streaming subscription service is a different model than a streaming purchase or disc purchase. I'm sure Disney will be happy to make the film available in all of these models at the appropriate time, because they want to make as much money from it as possible.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
To change the subject, I watched Endgame in a new movie theater on Wednesday. That was my fifth viewing and probably my last one in a movie theater. I plan on my next viewing of Endgame to be in the comforts of my own home theater in about 3-4 months.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I think of Disney+ or Netflix or other streaming services like HBO. The lifecycle of a movie used to be: Theater, home video, HBO (Showtime, whatever), TV. These days, we add in digital purchases before home video, and substitute a streaming service for HBO/Showtime. Basically, having a movie on the streaming service is for people who feel "Well, I pay for HBO, I don't need to buy this movie on disc."

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
None of these services will be available in Canada. I wonder how it will effect the release here. Mine will come from Britain anyway.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm not sure, but part of the confusion in this discussion may be that there is a difference between a digital download purchase and what we (I) usually refer to as "streaming".

It has been standard practice now for the studios to use a 3-stage release pattern for their films:

First, the digital purchases are available a couple weeks before the physical disc. You are free to purchase these digital versions and download them or, I guess, "stream" them from your digital library account in the cloud somewhere.

Second, the physical media versions are released to retailers.

Third, actual "streaming," which I think of as availability on one of the subscription services like Netflix, Hulu, or Prime, is usually several months after the physical discs are released.

Nothing has been said to indicate Disney is changing this schedule with regard to Endgame. They've announced the streaming version will be available on Disney+ in December. As several have mentioned, using Infinity War as the template, which had a similar debut on Netflix streaming last December, we should still expect the digital download version for sale sometime in July/Aug, then the physical media release a couple weeks later, to be followed by streaming availability on Disney+ several months later in December.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
When was Infinity war disc release announced tho? My memory is hazy but I seem to remember preorders going live the day of or day after its theatrical release. That's the difference here, the delayed announcement while the streaming date has already been set.

I get that this whole streaming thing makes some of you dreadfully nervous. And subscription streaming doubly so. It ain't going back to the way it was tho.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
When was Infinity war disc release announced tho? My memory is hazy but I seem to remember preorders going live the day of or day after its theatrical release.
There are pre-orders up for Endgame at some retailers, including Best Buy's exclusive steelbook edition. So it seems like they're expecting it even if an official date has not been released. This is a Disney title, so given their history with Amazon I wouldn't use its non-appearance at Amazon so far as any kind of barometer about a release.

The official BVHE press release about the Infinity War home video was not until July 10, 2018:

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...inity-war-4k-uhd-blu-ray.358062/#post-4629530

So if they are following a similar pattern, we won't get an official notice for a couple more months.

Last edited:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
To change the subject, I watched Endgame in a new movie theater on Wednesday. That was my fifth viewing and probably my last one in a movie theater. I plan on my next viewing of Endgame to be in the comforts of my own home theater in about 3-4 months.
On a whim, I took the day off as a reward for finishing a project, and bought tickets to the Laser IMAX showing at the TCL (Grauman) Chinese theater! I've never been despite living in LA for nearly 30 years. First time, and it will be to see Endgame in their laser projection IMAX screen. Looked to only be maybe 15-20 people who bought tickets, so this will be the polar opposite showing of what I was in the first time when the Russos were in attendance. Super excited...

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
7AFA7B96-3631-45C4-A9E1-5672E5E18FC4.jpeg
And away we goooo...

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
None of these services will be available in Canada. I wonder how it will effect the release here. Mine will come from Britain anyway.
Disney is planning a very aggressive international rollout for the Disney+ rollout. I believe their plan is to have a Canadian version by the end of 2020.

When was Infinity war disc release announced tho? My memory is hazy but I seem to remember preorders going live the day of or day after its theatrical release. That's the difference here, the delayed announcement while the streaming date has already been set.
The digital purchase/physical media press release for Captain Marvel just went out Wednesday. If the press release for Endgame has a similar lag, we should expect an announcement around the last week of June.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I’ll believe it when I see it. We have Canadian content rules regulated by the CRTC. These insure that a certain percentage of Canadian shows and actors are on each channel. The idea is to prevent Canadian talent by being swamped by the USA, which don’t forget has 10x the population.

We also have a different copyright system. Because of this, for instance, our TCM has a different schedule (No Laurel and Hardy!), and our Netflix is rather pathetic compared to the US.

Many businesses when faced with the hoops they have to jump through, throw up their hands and give up.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
On a whim, I took the day off as a reward for finishing a project, and bought tickets to the Laser IMAX showing at the TCL (Grauman) Chinese theater! I've never been despite living in LA for nearly 30 years. First time, and it will be to see Endgame in their laser projection IMAX screen. Looked to only be maybe 15-20 people who bought tickets, so this will be the polar opposite showing of what I was in the first time when the Russos were in attendance. Super excited...

I know you'll have the best experience ever. Best projection. Best picture quality. Outstanding welcoming experience.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Second viewing experience summary:

The TCL Chinese is definitely the best viewing experience in recent memory. The Laser IMAX projection really is a wonder to behold. And that's saying something considering how good the digital projection system is in the Westwood Regency Village theater is (and once upon a time they were considered sister screens, and both still hold the majority of red carpet premieres in L.A.). Both have that "old timey theater" feel to it, but with appropriately modernized furnishings. The other thing the TCL has over the Village is steeper seating, thus the person in front of you is less likely to obscure your view. For those who are unfamiliar with the theater, it's the one at the end of Blazing Saddles. :D

The only downside is the hassle of having to negotiate Hollywood traffic (both cars and humans), even on a Friday at 11am it was busy. That area is the literal definition of a tourist trap, down to the Spider-man and Elvis impersonators.

The viewing experience was the polar opposite of the first. From 1400 enthusiastic fans to maybe 30. It was dead quiet throughout (save for a few moments of laughter at funny dialogue, and a couple of audible sniffles at...appropriate times). I definitely am glad I went to the first showing as I felt the audience participation heightened the experience. But this viewing drove home the fact for me that this is a very well made film. Writing, acting, directing, it all scores high marks. For what it attempts to be, it succeeds mightily. I already thought highly of the film when I first saw it, and the passage of a couple of weeks and seeing it in a more subdued environment did nothing to diminish my opinion of the film. This movie did more than impress me on its own right, it made me revisit other MCU films and appreciate them even more than I did the first time I saw them (particular Cap Am 1st Avenger and Thor 2 Dark World). Kind of like how willing I am to forgive the flaws of Return of the Jedi (and to some extent the original Star Wars) based on the strength of The Empire Strikes Back. This is the kind of film that elevates the others related to it.

One final thought, and I promise this isn't a criticism, just an observation: I do not think they digitally aged Peggy in the 1970 scene. I mentioned this a few pages back, but again had only seen the movie once. Well today I paid special close attention to that scene, and I was seeing it on a huge laser projected IMAX screen. And she looked not that much older than the first Cap film. I know we've agreed some women look tremendous in their fifties but there's a difference between looking great for your fifties, and looking nearly the same as you did in your twenties. Halle Berry is probably the poster child for 52 year old women looking awesome, but even she now doesn't look like Halle Berry at 22.

But I have a theory. With all the digital age manipulation that is rampant in movies, I can't believe this was an oversight. We never get a clear look at Peggy in that scene, it's always through the window, and essentially through Cap's POV. Maybe what we're seeing is his idealized memory of how she looks as he sees her, showing us that scene through his filter. I'm totally down with that. I have no proof that's what the Russos were thinking, but I'm going with that.

I'm not sure if I'll see this a third time in the theater, but if I do, it will likely be at the TCL again, as that place is one amazing theatrical viewing experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks