1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Avengers: Endgame home UHD disc release discussion

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Martin Dew, Jun 28, 2019.

1. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    I did as I do with all Marvel/Disney products since Thor Ragnarok, pre-order the 3D from Amazon.uk, even before I saw it theatrically.

I intend to pursue 3D versions as long as they are being put out somewhere, thought I see fewer of these. (The latest Men in Black, and X men discs are only flat.)

Those of you PO’d by not having the right 4K, or Dolby atmos can feel my pain. Not only was Endgame in IMAX, but it was in 3D as well.

I hope 4K is as long lasting as people investing in it want it to be, and you are not having to order discs from Britain, Germany, or even Hong Kong as I have had to do, but beware! The home theatre industry is “a very fickle mistress”, always tossing adopters of new formats aside on a whim, and rushing to whatever else is new.

It is even probably impossible for us to see the difference, but I can see 8K looming over the horizon, at least as a marketing gimmick.

2. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug

I can feel your pain, but as far as Endgame is concerned, at least you can BUY the 3D version. Those of us wanting IMAX ratio on the 4K release or Atmos on the Blu-ray are simply out of luck, as neither of them exist in any way, shape, or form.

3. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Still can’t buy it on Amazon.

I guess they want us to buy it at BB or Target or everywhere else

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Very strange. I'm going to buy this release, but in no hurry so will wait on Black Friday deals. I lost count how many times I watched it in a movie theater.;)

5. kitt1987

kitt1987 Agent

Andy
    This is just one of the reasons I loathe to see a studio get so big and swallow up every other studio. What justification do they owe anyone when they don't have any real competition out there? To me this just seems like a passing thought for them to release hoping more people will subscribe to their streaming service in the fall. I had intended on buying the 4k eventually but right now I'm not feeling extremely motivated.

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I have yet to see the film. I plan on using some Amazon digital credits from their "no rush" shipping to rent the film for free, and then wait for a deal on the UHD release around the holidays.

7. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    I’ve been on that plan this year too Scott.
    I’ve rented a few from Redbox not Amazon.
    Though I think I do have a few bucks there same as you.

But these Disney movies just don’t go down.
    Still haven’t picked up Captain Marvel. The 4K disc still hasn’t dipped more then a few pennies lower the $25.

I ended up getting Black Panther 4k digital from someone in HTF for less then $10 a long time after the disc was released.
    CM still hasn’t been lower then $25 on Vudu.

8. Message #48 of 122 Aug 9, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    FWIW, I just took a peek at the Disney Movie Club. I added all the catalogue Marvel films coming next week in 4k (Iron Man 1-3 and Thor 1-2) to my cart and applied my VIP offer. The total was $90 plus tax; Endgame will be eligible for the % off before the end of the year (IIRC) and that will reduce the price pretty substantially.

I know not everyone is a member of the DMC and not everyone wants to be. Just saying that is an option in the long run.

9. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    I am. I still have one more movie to buy so might not have the same discount.

10. Scott Merryfield

Tony,

I picked up the UHD discs of Black Panther and the 2nd Ant-Man film during the holiday sales last year for about $15 each, so sometimes the Disney / Marvel stuff does drop in price at some point. You are correct, though, that it doesn't happen often or quickly.

I have not seen Captain Marvel yet, so I may use some Amazon credits on that one, too. However, Endgame is my first priority. I know I have enough credits for one free rental, but not sure about two.

11. Scott Merryfield

Yes, the DMC can be a good deal if you buy enough Disney films. I am not planning on upgrading my BD versions of the Marvel films to UHD, though, and probably will not upgrade very many (if any) of the Pixar films either. I am just buying the new releases of the films I'm interested in on UHD.

12. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    All fair. It's not for everyone. I long ago fulfilled all my requirements.

Scott Merryfield likes this.
  13. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    Scott I did see those discs for $15.

14. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    They could have also used a BD-100 for this. If the specs on blu-ray.com are correct, the video averages at 36.5 Mbps, which seems like with a 4 - 8 Mbps lossless Atmos track and other language tracks would max out a BD-66. Still, most UHD blu-ray releases are usually at least 50 Mbps on the video, and a BD-100 could have allowed over 60 Mbps.

Fortunately, the reviews are not mentioning any noticeable compression artifacts. Still, for a release this big from a company with the resources of Disney, there should not have been such compromises.

dpippel likes this.
  15. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

36.5 Mbps is still way better than the ~16 Mbps of the 4k streaming version.

AaronMK likes this.
  16. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Here's my advice if you are planning on making a larger group purchase of the 4K items.
    Fulfill your membership with a lower priced item alone first -- a 24.95 exclusive (The Black Hole) or even 19.95/21.95 item if one of those is needed ignoring the temptation to add items for 40-50% off at this step

In about a week after you're upgraded to VIP you'll receive a one-time use bonus offer of B1 G60%off then buy as many of the 4K items in one burst as you can take -- this can take you average 4K price down to $14-16each -- not as good as a potential $10 Black Friday that some people seem to be counting on, but I just don't remember more than 2 or 3 of those being deep discounted last year. You could fulfill and wait for the next full month B1G60, but I suspect that will be November. If the 50% off TV set deal comes around in Sept again there is possibly a nice little bonus workaround if you need any of their $40+ Tv set that even helps with the B1 at Regular Price part

Best reports indicate the August offer is B1G50% and non-VIP is 40% off. Black Hole and George of the Jungle are in the mailers, but no mention of the Pixar 4K sets.

17. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    I received a review copy in HD Blu-ray, as opposed to 4k.

While I’m grateful to have received - they’re apparently short of product - I don’t generally review 4k product in standard Blu.

I was going to make an exception, as this is not a true 4k production, when I noted that they’ve crippled the Blu-rays audio-wise, as Dolby Atmos has been removed from the mix. This is a Blu-ray fail for me.

Why should those who have made the rather expensive upgrade to Atmos, be forced to view in a non-height format, because they’ve not made the additional expenditure toward 4k player/panel/projector?

I’m aware that a similar argument can be made for the inclusion of 3D, but that’s a far smaller, albeit, not less passionate audience.

holtge, Brian Husar, Bryan^H and 3 others like this.
  18. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Right, it's really a shame how the industry has treated its consumer base from different video formats to improved audio codecs.

19. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    50CBDA04-F3B8-448D-8393-FE666B9141A2. 7243E214-E510-40FA-AB28-510C814CFAE7.

These are the options that I have in Offers.
    I put a randomish handful of discs in my cart.
    2 are $14
    1 is full price
    1 is a little cheaper. .

The 60% offer is the cheapest on these movies.
    I still have one more to buy to complete my membership.

20. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Endgame doesn't qualify for the Discount b/c it's got the temp New Item $5 discount applied and then CATWS since it's more expensive than the discounted Endgame and has to act as your Most Expensive Item so you end up with 2 nondiscounted titles

I'm a little confused though -- if you haven't fulfilled your commitment yet, you shouldn't have a 60% off offer at all plus the Blue banner at the top of the page mentions JUST FOR VIPs ONE TIME OFFER which is the NEW VIP BONUS OFFER and you are eligible for the VIP pin. The site seems to think you are fully vested. What does your commitment status show under MY ACCOUNT PROFILE

What I'd suggest doing with that specific order would be to do the FT Double Feature with "Endgame 4K +Infinity War 4K for $42," then Winter Soldier would be $14. You'd pay $84+tax and get 5 items instead of $93+tax for 4. Even if you already have Infinity War, you still save $10 AND have a spare item to sell off. If you've already declined the FT you might have to call and have them manually place the order.