What's new

Avengers: ENDGAME (April 26, 2019) [NON-SPOILERS] (2 Viewers)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
F4DD8188-FD55-4068-AFF2-41D803E27F9B.jpeg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
No we don't. This thread allows spoilers only for Infinity War which came out last year, but not for Endgame without spoiler tags.

The new one I created yesterday is intended to allow for open discussion of spoilers for Endgame without having to hide the majority of one's post behind spoiler brackets. I think that's a completely separate function, which is why I created the second thread.

However, I messaged @Robert Crawford about it and he is welcome to change the title or anything else as he sees fit.
Okay guys, I dropped the Infinity War reference in this thread's title and just stated this Endgame thread is for Non-Spoiler discussion. I also edited the other thread's title to clarify that spoilers are allowed and posted a warning in Jake's first post that you shouldn't read that thread if you haven't seen Endgame first.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
5TH UPDATE, Friday 10:14 PM: And with a snap, Avengers: Endgame is swelling, just as expected. Industry estimates tonight see $157Mfor Friday (including $60M record previews), which is $37.9M more than Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ opening and single day record of $119.1M. And as for the weekend, right now the average is around $349M off the widest theatrical release ever of 4,662. Saturday is expected to ease between -30% and -35% for a take between $102M-$109M.

Consider that amount of money for a minute – $349M. That’s a total that many studios hope their tentpoles generate in their domestic lifetime. It’s an amount of cash that’s close to $100m higher than the record opening of Avengers: Infinity War! (at this point in time Endgame is $91.3M higher). It’s an opening that’s $101M higher than Force Awakens’ $247.96M start.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
5TH UPDATE, Friday 10:14 PM: And with a snap, Avengers: Endgame is swelling, just as expected. Industry estimates tonight see $157Mfor Friday (including $60M record previews), which is $37.9M more than Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ opening and single day record of $119.1M. And as for the weekend, right now the average is around $349M off the widest theatrical release ever of 4,662. Saturday is expected to ease between -30% and -35% for a take between $102M-$109M.

Consider that amount of money for a minute – $349M. That’s a total that many studios hope their tentpoles generate in their domestic lifetime. It’s an amount of cash that’s close to $100m higher than the record opening of Avengers: Infinity War! (at this point in time Endgame is $91.3M higher). It’s an opening that’s $101M higher than Force Awakens’ $247.96M start.

Tino,

That Scott Mendelson/Forbes number of $397m is not far off... amazing.:D

Especially with numbers constantly being revised up.

Joe

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
From Exhibitor Relations' tweet:

Remember when CAPTAIN MARVEL had an outstanding weekend debut of $153M? Well, AVENGERS: ENDGAME just hit $156M in 1 day domestically--that's an increase of $50M versus INFINITY WAR's opening day.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
‘Avengers: Endgame’ Thunders To $487M Overseas & $644M Global Through Friday, Smashes All-Time Opening Weekend Records On Way To Historic $1B+ WW Bow

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
So the success of the MCU, culminating in Endgame, has me seriously revising my thoughts on the Star Wars franchise. I am one of those who grew up with the OT, strongly disliked the PT, and found myself giving what I now realize as more than forgiving scores to the Sequel Trilogy (ST). I forgave that E7 was mostly a retelling of E4, and I did like E8. But I also rationalized that with all the new competing medium out there (internet, social media, streaming services, season/episodic TV that approaches or matches movie quality effects) that a new set of Star Wars (or any other long-running franchise) would just never work like the original trilogy did when it had largely nothing to compete with. There was just too much other things competing for kids' attentions these days.

So as to not turn this into a SW (or any other franchise) bashing thread, let me just say that what I recently saw with Endgame, coupled with what I saw on my second viewing of Captain Marvel last weekend--where a bunch of college aged coeds came out talking about Captain Marvel's powers and one girl patiently explaining to another that she was effectively an Infinity Stone (and yes if I were 20 years younger I'd have probably asked her out based on just that :rolling-smiley:) is that despite my earlier cynicism: awe and wonderment elicited by cinema in today's younger generation is not dead. It just requires great storytelling, great acting and great direction.

The last few MCU films have restored my faith in the film medium and it's ability to move the born-digital generation. Sure, not all 22 MCU films are gems. Some are clunkers. God knows for me RotJ has not aged as well as SW and ESB. The Godfather III doesn't hold up to I and II (though I like it more than most other people). So given how Lucas and Coppola couldn't even go 3-for-3 on their franchises, I'm willing to cut the MCU some slack, especially since they work in such a larger story universe and have utilized dozens of writers, directors and hundreds of actors.

To be clear: I don't mean this as a denigration on any other franchise. If you look at my movie collection I own them all and have been a fan of them. This is more of a celebration on my part for the tremendous work (and risk) that Marvel took in going full-force with the MCU, and the work that all the cast and crew have done in the past few films especially. If you don't think that the MCU was a risk, then you don't remember how very hit-and-miss comic book movies were before this iteration of the MCU and Nolan's Batman films were. For every nugget there were as many or more absolute clunkers. The success and quality of the MCU was not a given prior to Iron Man.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
So as to not turn this into a SW (or any other franchise) bashing thread, let me just say that what I recently saw with Endgame, coupled with what I saw on my second viewing of Captain Marvel last weekend--where a bunch of college aged coeds came out talking about Captain Marvel's powers and one girl patiently explaining to another that she was effectively an Infinity Stone (and yes if I were 20 years younger I'd have probably asked her out based on just that :rolling-smiley:) is that despite my earlier cynicism: awe and wonderment elicited by cinema in today's younger generation is not dead. It just requires great storytelling, great acting and great direction.

Well said, Carlo, well said. My kids have basically grown up with the MCU and are as invested as anybody in each new entry.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Saw it today in IMAX 3D. Liked it! My rating: "B+"

Sat next to a kid about 7 years old who seemingly hadn't seen a 3D movie before. When he put the glasses on he said to his Dad, "Oh my gosh! The movie's inside my face!!" The Dad and I both got a good laugh out of that.

This is a theater with 20 screens, and I think at least 7 of them are devoted to this movie, and my guess is that all the showings were sold out. The parking lot for this place is huge, and I've never seen it completely full before today. Theater owners across the country are cheering this movie. They were selling snacks as fast as they could too, and seemingly had hired some extra workers for that.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
There was a really nice vibe in the theater I was at. It was completely mobbed with lines everywhere, and yet everyone was being polite and considerate as far as I saw (although this is Louisville, KY, which imho tends to be somewhat polite). And boy did they enjoy this movie. There were lots of laughs, cheers, a few gasps, and and a few sniffles. I've missed more than half of the MCU movies, and even the ones I've seen I've seen only once, and so there were a few jokes that just went over my head, but it was fun to hear how much almost everyone else in the theater enjoyed those bits that I wasn't clued into.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I’m seriously considering going to a midnight showing tonight just to be part of the phenomenon again. This is an opening weekend like no other and I’m hoping I can catch a good crowd and enjoy it for a second time.
After my third and fourth viewings today, I had enough of opening weekend crowds. Just too many people for this version of Crawdaddy. I'm seriously thinking of swearing off opening weekends for blockbusters all-together. The older I get, the more I resent being around large crowds and standing in lines. I didn't stand in lines today because I decided not to purchase any concessions, but there were long lines.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks