What's new

Avengers: ENDGAME (April 26, 2019) [NON-SPOILERS] (1 Viewer)

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Impressive $60m box office for Thursday night, beating SW:The Force Awakens. Can it do 120m+ after today? And 300m+ for the weekend? It was only 17 years ago that Spider-man was the first film to break $100m for opening weekend box office.

If we apply the same multiplier to Thursday's take that Infinity War made last year, then the opening weekend will be $397m!

:emoji_astonished:

(via Scott Mendelson from Forbes)

Last edited:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
For those who have known me on this forum for many years, you all know I make it a tradition to watch big tentpole, event premieres at the Westwood Village theater (known over the years by many names, Fox Theater, Fox Village, Mann Village and now Regency Village). It's the sister screen to the TCL (formerly Mann, formerly Grauman's) Chinese theater. It's across the street from UCLA. I've been going to tentpole film premieres here since 1991.

The only other comparable audience participation I can compare to this one: the re-release of the Star Wars as Special Editions to theaters. Remember, this was before we realized that the "additions" to the original movies ended up having more of a subtractive effect...but that's another thread. The thing to keep in mind was that for most of us in the theaters for those three movies, we had not seen the movies in a theater (I was old enough to have seen RoTJ, but too young for SW and ESB), yet we had grown up with them through HBO, cable TV, and VHS. From the opening Star Wars opening logo, to the intro of every main character (from the droids, to Han/Luke/Leia, and Vader) the crowd erupted in loud, raucous, and most importantly genuine applause and cheer.

The same thing happened at the Village last night. There was not a hint of raucous drunk college kids just trying to make noise (though I'm sure some had been pre-gaming). It was genuine enthusiasm. For 1400 in a packed auditorium on opening night, most of them between 18-22, it was perhaps the most respectful yet energetic crowd I've seen. Which shocked me. Loud when appropriate, and deafeningly quiet when appropriate.

If the Russos were truly there at the show, they surely recognized the impact these stories have had on the audience. When I first walked in there were several rows taped off and I was like "who the heck would do this on opening night?". Didn't see who sat there (they probably all came in when the theater lights had dimmed, I was seated well in front of that section). Right after all the visual end credits ended, there was a loud roar in the theater and everyone stood up and turned around and I could see the back half start emptying into the lobby. I stayed, figuring I'd want to see the end credits and not wanting to be part of the mob scene (though I feared I might be missing my chance to meet RDJ or Hemsworth). On my way out I asked a couple of of the younger crowd who was there, and they said it had been the directors.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I had a pretty dead crowd for mine, and I saw plenty of phone lights going off throughout the movie with people texting or web surfing.
That kind of shit would never have been tolerated back when I was going to movies in NYC in the 90s. Of course they had ushers back then.....I'm sure those are gone now.

The one thing I do find really surprising is that NYers have a tendency to be less inhibited to say something to people like that. I've even seen it happen here on rare occasions around here where someone will yell "TURN OFF YOUR PHONE!". I would think in NYC that someone sitting nearby would call those people out.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
That kind of shit would never have been tolerated back when I was going to movies in NYC in the 90s. Of course they had ushers back then.....I'm sure those are gone now.

The one thing I do find really surprising is that NYers have a tendency to be less inhibited to say something to people like that. I've even seen it happen here on rare occasions around here where someone will yell "TURN OFF YOUR PHONE!". I would think in NYC that someone sitting nearby would call those people out.

Oh, lemme tell ya...we had our tickets for an 8 pm show last night, start time 8:30. A couple, their 6/7 year old son and maybe 2 year old daughter walk in just as the movie starts and sit in front of us.

Not only are they going through a bag to open treats and getting up and down for the first half hour, the daughter was crying the entire time. Dad kept getting up to take her out of the theater only to come back. They finally left...if they didn't, I was going to very loudly tell them to shut the kid up. I'm nowhere near NYC. :)

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
While we're on the subject of the theater experience, there's one other thing I wanted to comment on...

I had mentioned that when Alita opened that the ambient red lighting that had plagued the bottom of the Dolby screen was suddenly gone. I'm not sure exactly where it was coming from (I assumed an exit sign that wasn't visible from my normal seats). Anyway, it returned as soon as Alita left (opening night of Captain Marvel) and was very annoying again last night during Endgame.

It's amazing to me that Lightstorm had the kind of pull to get that removed but no one else seems to care enough.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
If we apply the same multiplier to Thursday's take that Infinity War made last year, then the opening weekend will be $397m!
How do you figure? $300 million more likely.

Deadline
3RD UPDATE, FRIDAY 9:02 AM: One exhibition source says that the amount of business that Avengers: Endgame is doing “is ridiculous.” Off of 9 AM shows alone today, big venues like the AMC 25 Empire in NYC is making $175K, NYC Lincoln Square counts $161K, Regal E-Walk has $78K, while the Edwards Irvine is seeing $145K. Industry estimates are seeing $130M-$140M for today including $60M. “I don’t see how the pic doesn’t get to $300M-plus,” said one rival distribution exec.

Last edited:

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Tino,

That calculation came from Forbes’ Scott Mendelsohn, which used $39m as the opening Thursday number for IW (while the full weekend was 257.7m). The ratio of opening weekend to Thursday is about 6.6.

He did say 397m is not going to happen, but Scott likes using multiples in his analysis.

Joe

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Nowadays, doing something like that might get a person killed. I think people are a lot more cautious about calling someone out for poor behaviour than they once were.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The last time I asked someone in a theater to put their phone away, the crowd sided with that person and said that since they had paid for their ticket, they were free to do whatever they wanted. It’s a losing battle.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
The last time I asked someone in a theater to put their phone away, the crowd sided with that person and said that since they had paid for their ticket, they were free to do whatever they wanted. It’s a losing battle.

I wonder if we're all just used to looking at our phones while watching at home, alone or with people we know, and so cultural acceptance.

But siding with the other guy after a call-out is bizarre.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I wonder if we're all just used to looking at our phones while watching at home, alone or with people we know, and so cultural acceptance.

But siding with the other guy after a call-out is bizarre.

I don't see it as cultural acceptance, especially when a message to shut off phones or put them on silent is put up on the screen before the start of a film. To me, it is just people being ignorant and, apparently, unable to fathom that the other person has paid for their ticket too and deserves to be able to watch what they paid for without annoying interruptions. If people want to behave like they are sitting in their living rooms then they should stay home in their living rooms, not waste money on a ticket and then think they have to right to wreck the enjoyment of other patrons.

The only time my phone was on in a movie theatre is when I was on call. I won't even bother going to a film anymore when I am on call, after having to leave in the middle of Alita:Battle Angel. That was 14 bucks wasted plus the disturbance of me having to leave and another 14 to go back and finish the film.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My second viewing in an IMAX theater was about sold out. My audience was again enthusiastic about the film. IMO, I think it's the best MCU movie because it basically brought the whole franchise together in one film. I think the Russo brothers did a fantastic job considering the ambitious story line and closure to a few main characters. It was funny and it was sober as I teared up during both my viewings and will probably do so again tomorrow for my 3rd and 4th viewings.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I do agree with the comment how "it feels more like a series finale than a standalone film".

But for me: that's exactly what I feel it should be. I don't see that comment as a criticism, but more as a culmination of an incredible story arc spanning 21 different prior movies and who-knows-how-many writers and directors involved in it. That in and of itself was a tremendous accomplishment, let alone turning out a fantastic film.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Saw Endgame in IMAX 3D today. I strongly recommend this format if you have it available near you. The movie looks spectacular.

As for the film ....... It had everything to me, the humanity, the heart, and the amazing action that made the MCU so awesome the last 11 years.

Never got up to go to the bathroom and never looked at my phone. If anything, it isn't long enough.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Maybe the title should be changed to just Endgame No Spoiler as the other topic seems to include Spiolers.

Otherwise it’s confusing since we have two topics on Endgame that both have spoilers in it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Otherwise it’s confusing since we have two topics on Endgame that both have spoilers in it.

Good point. This one, created last year as the general discussion thread for the movie prior to its release, says in the topic title that it will have Infinity War spoilers. But it was not intended to have Endgame spoilers -- which is why I created the other thread. But in order to be more clear, I will edit the first post of the other thread.

Edit: My edit window on the first post in the other thread has expired so I can't edit it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Good point. This one, created last year as the general discussion thread for the movie prior to its release, says in the topic title that it will have Infinity War spoilers. But it was not intended to have Endgame spoilers -- which is why I created the other thread. But in order to be more clear, I will edit the first post of the other thread.

Edit: My edit window on the first post in the other thread has expired so I can't edit it.

Might contact a mod. As of now we have two Endgame spoilers allowed topics.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
As of now we have two Endgame spoilers allowed topics.

No we don't. This thread allows spoilers only for Infinity War which came out last year, but not for Endgame without spoiler tags.

The new one I created yesterday is intended to allow for open discussion of spoilers for Endgame without having to hide the majority of one's post behind spoiler brackets. I think that's a completely separate function, which is why I created the second thread.

However, I messaged @Robert Crawford about it and he is welcome to change the title or anything else as he sees fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks