What's new

Avengers DVDs - opinions please? (1 Viewer)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I must say I'm mighty tempted by the new Emma Peel mega set of 16 DVDs recently released by A&E.
I used to watch The Avengers a lot on TV, and especially enjoyed the early b/w Diana Rigg series.
So can anyone tell me how good these R1 discs are, video/audio-wise? Was the series shot on film or video?

Derek U

Stunt Coordinator
When they first came out, I bought the first volume just to see how they were, but shortly after, I bought every Emma Peal episode. Although the supplements are light, video and audio quality makes them a justifiable purchase for any Avengers fan.

Derek

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Video and audio quality is fantastic. Most discs have 3 episodes per RDSL disc, and a handful have 4 episodes.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I've got them ALL. I love this show! The quality is very good, for a tv show. Note, the earlier eps with Honor Blackman were shot on video so the quality isn't as good as the film eps of later years. I'm just thrilled to own them!

I hope 'The New Avengers' is coming next.

Duncan Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
Philip

Seasons 1-3 were shot on 405 line tape, and indeed some were actually transmitted live.

The show moved to 35mm film for season 4 in order to attract US investment. This followed and season 5 (viewing the 24 episodes as one block) and season 6 were in colour.

I've got all the releases so far and the Mrs Peel episodes look great. The R2 releases IIRC have been produced from newer masters, but there have been multiple problems with the discs in terms of authoring, so I'd buy the R1 Mrs Peel mega set from A&E.

The Mrs Gale episodes are sourced from telerecordings, so obviously dont look as good as the 35mm ones, but they are very enjoyable and short of being Vidfired look as good as they are going to get.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Thank you all very much for your help. :)
Looks like I'll get that A&E set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks