What's new

Avengers: ENDGAME (April 26, 2019) [NON-SPOILERS] (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Not exactly sure how to do that. Can a mod fix it for me?

Just edit your post. Put the word SPOILER enclosed in brackets [ ] at the beginning of the text you want to hide, and then /SPOILER enclosed in brackets at the end of the text you want to hide. Forum members will see a SPOILER link, and they can then click on it to reveal your post.

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
Just edit your post. Put the word SPOILER enclosed in brackets [ ] at the beginning of the text you want to hide, and then /SPOILER enclosed in brackets at the end of the text you want to hide. Forum members will see a SPOILER link, and they can then click on it to reveal your post.

Thanks! Yeah, I hadn't actually posted a spoiler before. I'll remember that for next time. :thumbs-up-smiley:

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
From the article --

OK, here we go, 3 quick questions, answers direct from Kevin Feige's mouth

1) AVENGERS 4 trailer "before the end of the year"
2) Namor COULD make an appearance, still deciding IF & when
3) GUARDIANS 3 status "on hold"

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I'm not sure about Ruffalo, but we know that rights issues with Universal prevent him from having a solo film as the Hulk.
I'm a bit surprised that Universal's distribution rights are holding up another Hulk film. Marvel Studios still has creative control and production rights and seem to be fine with Sony distributing their Spidey films. I'm not sure how the money end of it works, so I'm guessing that's the problem?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm not sure how the money end of it works, so I'm guessing that's the problem?

Marvel has control over the Hulk if they use him in team films like The Avengers or Thor Ragnarok. If they put him in the title, that would have to involve Universal. I don't really know either, but the impression that I got from all the times this has been discussed is that Universal is the one that isn't willing to play ball. I'm not sure what changed between The Incredible Hulk and now, but it does not seem to be something that Marvel is focusing on, and I've always heard that Universal is the issue.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Yup. Reshoots.
Can you call them reshoots when they never finished shooting the movie in the first instance? From what I understand, this second round of photography was less about addressing issues than about plugging holes that they didn't get to during the initial back-to-back shoot.

I'm a bit surprised that Universal's distribution rights are holding up another Hulk film. Marvel Studios still has creative control and production rights and seem to be fine with Sony distributing their Spidey films. I'm not sure how the money end of it works, so I'm guessing that's the problem?
I think the bigger issue is that the Hulk hasn't been a particularly successful standalone franchise. Neither Hulk movie cracked $140 million at the box office. The Incredible Hulk, Marvel Studios's first attempt at a co-production with another studio, is the lowest grossing picture in the MCU.

Spider-Man is Marvel's flagship character, and has been very successful for Sony, so both sides are incentivized to work through the legal and logistical quagmires. I don't think there's that same interest for Universal or Marvel Studios when it comes to the Hulk.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I think the bigger issue is that the Hulk hasn't been a particularly successful standalone franchise. Neither Hulk movie cracked $140 million at the box office. The Incredible Hulk, Marvel Studios's first attempt at a co-production with another studio, is the lowest grossing picture in the MCU.

Spider-Man is Marvel's flagship character, and has been very successful for Sony, so both sides are incentivized to work through the legal and logistical quagmires. I don't think there's that same interest for Universal or Marvel Studios when it comes to the Hulk.

I think things have changed significantly since the first two Hulk films. Fans have completely embraced Ruffalo's version of both the Big Guy and Bruce Banner, and they've become audience favorites. Hulk was one of the main reasons that Thor: Ragnarok worked so well and was such a huge success. Ang Lee's and Louis Leterrier's movies represent a time when Marvel was sort of flailing around, trying to find their groove with Hulk. Then Avengers came along, and they found it. IMO a stand-alone Hulk outing at this point in time would be very successful indeed.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The Incredible Hulk, Marvel Studios's first attempt at a co-production with another studio, is the lowest grossing picture in the MCU.

It wasn't a co-production to my knowledge. Universal allowed Marvel to make the movie as long as they distributed it; I don't think Universal actually had any control on that one. The big difference for Marvel is that they are now a Disney subsidiary, whereas they were independent producers at the time of their Hulk movie. That might be part of why Universal is reluctant to cooperate now.

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
But shouldn't Universal's rights to distribute a Hulk movie be just about up by now? I mean, it's been ten years since The Incredible Hulk came out... :wacko:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
But shouldn't Universal's rights to distribute a Hulk movie be just about up by now? I mean, it's been ten years since The Incredible Hulk came out... :wacko:
I just looked and couldn't find anything definitive one way or the other, but I seem to recall that back in the mid-nineties when Marvel was bankrupt, they didn't just license the characters to the various film studios, they outright sold the film rights to the various characters. If that's the case, then the studios would presumably hold the rights to those characters in perpetuity.

Fortunately, the bulk of the characters that were sold off went to Fox, so once Disney's acquisition closes they'll come home. Sony has the rights to most of the remaining characters that were sold off, as part of its Spider-Man rights. The demarcation line isn't always intuitive, however. One would think, for instance, that Kingpin would be owned by Sony as a prominent Spidey villain. But Kingpin was actually part of the Daredevil roster of characters. After Daredevil and Elektra underperformed, Marvel was able to reacquire the rights to that stable of characters from Fox.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Did anyone seriously believe that all these Marvel characters would stay dead? I guess they also believed Superman was gone for good!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think they'll kill some characters off for the drama (or to let actors move on) in Avengers 4 but if the bigger characters like Iron Man or Captain America die, they'll have another character take up their mantle with the hopes that they can continue their solo movies on with them. That way, they play fair and Tony Stark is dead but Iron Man is still in the universe.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
I think they'll kill some characters off for the drama (or to let actors move on) in Avengers 4 but if the bigger characters like Iron Man or Captain America die, they'll have another character take up their mantle with the hopes that they can continue their solo movies on with them. That way, they play fair and Tony Stark is dead but Iron Man is still in the universe.

I think Pepper should take over for Tony.

"Iron Potts"

These things just write themselves.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I just looked and couldn't find anything definitive one way or the other, but I seem to recall that back in the mid-nineties when Marvel was bankrupt, they didn't just license the characters to the various film studios, they outright sold the film rights to the various characters. If that's the case, then the studios would presumably hold the rights to those characters in perpetuity.

Nah, that’s off.

I can’t say that I know 100% for certain about every one of them, but the general understanding out there is that NONE of them were in perpetuity. They required properties to be in production every certain number of years or the rights would revert back to Marvel (the specific amount of years and particulars of the licensing deals varried per property). Spider-Man is definitely like that. Fantastic Four is like that. Pretty sure X-Men as well. Daredevil wasn’t bought back or given back. Daredevil reverted back because Fox couldn’t get their next movie into production within the required amount of time and they lost the character back to Marvel. Pretty sure Ghost Rider and Punisher also reverted back. I think Marvel May have made a few deals to get back some of their stuff early on before they started the MCU, but I think they also got most of them back because the studios that had them never did anything with them because they were characters “no one cared about” like Iron Man, Captain America and Thor.

As for Hulk, my understanding was that Universal having distribution rights for any “Hulk” movie means just that. They handle the distribution and get whatever “fee” is associated with that. I was never under the impression that they had any say in whether or not a Hulk movie was made or how it was made. Namor is supposed to be a similar situation. Marvel/Disney aren’t wild about that relationship (for whatever reasons) and the Hulk movies weren’t big earners so they aren’t motivated to do another “Hulk” movie. Mark Ruffalo has said something not too long ago that gave an impression about why a Hulk movie wasn’t being done. But honesty, statements by actors, Mark Ruffalo in particular, aren’t very reliable for understanding what is happening with this stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks