What's new

Ave Maria! (tennis version) (1 Viewer)

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
That's the spirit, Thomas. :D

She won her last two matches over the two players who had combined to win all three previous majors this year--not a bad way to win her first US Open title. She played a terrific match tonight, and though Henin-Hardenne obliged by choking on a few of the big points, Maria totally earned it.

She was so excited that when she first raised the trophy up, she didn't realize that the lid for the big cup might fall off until it was too late, which was an amusing moment:

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I wish I had a big-screen TV and CBS in HD for this! She was looking damn good in that black dress. More pics please. :)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I wish it wasn't on at the same time as the OSU vs. Texas game. I have never seen anyone look that stunning on the tennis court before.

Was it a night final because of the rain delays?

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
She wore that same black dress for all of her night matches in this tournament. Dick Enberg mentioned (as he had in one of her previous matches) that Maria claimed to have modelled it after Audrey Hepburn's dress in Breakfast at Tiffany's. In the match tonight, Mary Carillo responded, "But I don't think Audrey Hepburn grunted her way through Roman Holiday." LOL.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member

No, the women's final has been on Saturday night in each of the last several years. It used to be the middle of the three "Super Saturday" matches, in between the two men's semis. But then they switched things around to have the two men's semis in the afternoon, as they were today, followed by the women's final at night.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Her joy is rather infectious...kinda wished I'd caught the match when it aired.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
While I love her "I feel pretty" commercials and shirts she wears, the grunting is still a turn-off for me when I watch certain female tennis players. That being said, she's probably got the best set of legs on the tour.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

I saw her play live last year. She looks even better live, but sounds even louder. If you could hit a mute button while watching her play live, you'd have the ideal Sharapova viewing experience.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I have yesterday's match in HD on my DVR. I only have 10 or so hours HD capacity, but I'm finding it hard to delete that program... :D

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
During the broadcast of the men's final yesterday, Dick Enberg said that Sharapova would be one of the guests on Letterman tonight. That isn't indicated yet on the show's official website, although maybe they just haven't updated it over the weekend, as the invite presumably came only after she won the title late Saturday night.

Federer's guests at the final yesterday were Tiger Woods and his wife, sitting next to Federer's girlfriend. Apparently Woods and Federer had talked on the phone before, but they had never managed to meet each other until yesterday. You have to wonder what it's like when those guys have a conversation.

"That ninth major championship is great, dude, but just wait 'til you win your tenth! Then you're really cooking with gas!"

"But that seventh one was pretty good too."

"Yeah, but the eighth one? Come on, admit it, that's when it really starts getting fun..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks