What's new

Avatar Press Event Coverage: Avatar will street on Earth Day April 22nd (1 Viewer)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
any midnight openings for avatar at the stores?
I read that some best buy stores will be doing midnight. I wonder if blockbuster will do the same. that is where I ordered it.

Jacob

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
we haven't been given any notice to do a midnight sale at our bbv.
But individual stores are able to do it if they want to.

I wonder if we will get copies in 1 week early like we do for everythng else.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I wonder if we will get copies in 1 week early like we do for everythng else.

I would imagine so, but it might be a few days later that the rest of the weeks releases arrive since it streets on Thursday. I also bet that the release date will cause some confusion so I think a lot of retailers will put it out on Tuesday with the other releases.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
BBV recently changed their shipper to UPS, so now our store gets most new releases on the
Thursday before strret date.
So if the pattern continues we'll get them on the 15th.
Once in awhile we get a release on the MOnday before so that could happen too.
I wouldn't be surprised if it comes in a completely seperate shipment.
I'll try to see how many our store is getting when I go in tomorrow, I'm curious.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I'll try to see how many our store is getting when I go in tomorrow, I'm curious.

Tony-Would you mind looking at DVD and Blu-ray? Pre-orders were running 50/50, which is spectacular for Blu-ray. I'm curious if your store followed that trend.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Adam,
thanks for the update about the dvd/blu ray reviews.

Jacob

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by TonyD

We are getting 58 DVD. And 17 on blu.

Wow, thats suprising Tony. Does your location not do a brisk business in Blu-ray? Being that the BD comes with the DVD I figured some DVD owners would buy the BD just to have it when they eventually upgrade.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
It's interesting also because if you get the Blu-ray you get both formats. This would have made for a good sales experiment to just sell the combo so anyone who wants to buy the film MUST get both formats. Think about it - the majority of Blu-ray owners won't watch the included DVD, so there wouldn't really be an issue with only having the combo available, since non-Blu-ray owners simply wouldn't watch the included Blu-ray disc.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

Wow, thats suprising Tony. Does your location not do a brisk business in Blu-ray? Being that the BD comes with the DVD I figured some DVD owners would buy the BD just to have it when they eventually upgrade.
My BBV never has done very much on the way of preorders.
Of the 17blus so far, only 7 are actual presales.

Finn

Insider
Real Name
James Finn
we are tracking over 60+% Blu-ray in pre-sales across the board.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I can't do the whole pre-order thing.

I love the anticipation, taking the time to go out and see a shelf or stand-alone display full of a movie like this and pick one up. Doesn't matter what store it is, just that it's there and it's a big deal since the time was taken to set it all up and make it an event. Maybe it's silly but so am I.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Finn

we are tracking over 60+% Blu-ray in pre-sales across the board.

WOW! Its gone up since last I heard. That is spectacular, and is good news for the format. Hopefully others (*cough* Lucas *cough*) are paying attention. I know it would just be a guess on your part, but do you think some of those will go to people who only have DVD now but plan on moving to BD in the near future and want to be able to watch the DVD now and have the BD for when they get a player?

Finn

Insider
Real Name
James Finn
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich
do you think some of those will go to people who only have DVD now but plan on moving to BD in the near future and want to be able to watch the DVD now and have the BD for when they get a player?
Ever since players have come down in price, we have seen an increase in BD sales - the combo packs are great, as they include a dvd - so you can watch it anywhere - car, other rooms, etc and have the blu-ray disc for your killer living room set up.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I like the combo idea. I have some family members that have not gone blu so then I can let them use the dvd. very smart idea.

Jacob

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I like it too. We still have some TVs in the house that only have DVD players. Please keep up and even expand the dual disc releases!

bingobuff

Auditioning
Real Name
anna
that's very nice! we're still using DVD player at home so the DVD format of the movie will be great until such time we get a BD.

Since I live in the Caribbean, I need to import everything. Since the new release schedule kinda sucks down here, thankfully I have a few friends that help me in that regard. Usually when I get a combo pack, I let him keep the regular DVD and let em ship the Blu to me!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
As i expected we got our copies in today, so headed over to work to pick up a copy,
be watching this afternoon.

YAY!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks