What's new

Avatar: The Way of Water (2022) (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yes, but they usually ebb and flow, and don’t have long waits at off peak times. The Avatar rides are overperforming in that sense, attracting longer waits than a ride that’s been open for 2+ years should have.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'm just very skeptical about these Avatar sequels. Firstly, as has been mentioned, it will have been over a DECADE since the original film when the first sequel is released. I think interest has waned. Secondly, they're dumping a lot of money into one basket with FIVE films in the oven. If Avatar 2 fails to meet expectations, what then?

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
they're dumping a lot of money into one basket with FIVE films in oven.

Technically, it's four films in the oven, since the first new one will be Avatar 2.

If Avatar 2 fails to meet expectations, what then?

I could be wrong, but I think Cameron has only shot 2 & 3, and is in some kind of pre-production state on 4 & 5. If that's the case, Disney could stick a fork in it after the third.

Fox ordered these a long time ago, not Disney, so Disney is inheriting them, which means they can't control how much has already been put into them before the merger.

Although, Disney certainly has a gift for cultivating acquired blockbuster franchises to enormous success under their roof (see: the MCU, Star Wars.) Maybe they'll be able to work their magic again and make everyone really want to come back to Pandora. We'll have to see how it plays out.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Jemaine Clement is joining the cast of the Avatar sequels:

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/avatar-sequels-jemaine-clement-1203215845/

Since Cameron wrapped principal photography on (I think) Avatar 2 and (maybe?) 3 last year, it's not clear whether there will be additional filming for those movies or if Clement is set to appear in 4 and 5 only. Because Fox was planning to release the second one in 2020 and Disney pushed it to 2021, Cameron certainly has time for more filming on #2 if he wants to do it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I would not consider myself to be an Avatar fan.

I saw it once on opening weekend and remember liking it well enough, I wasn't bored with it, but I've never seen it since. It was the movie that made me realize that mt disability impacts my ability to see 3D, because I went to it in 3D and saw nothing different; it was darker and I couldn't see fine details as well because I didn't have my prescription glasses on since I replaced them with the 3D ones. So I didn't get the same impact of the 3D experience that most people did.

I suspect that if I saw it today, I would at least find it diverting, but it's not something I've been compelled to revisit.

However, one of the elements I do remember liking very much is the score, which I have. James Horner did great work on this movie, as he usually did. Which leads me to my thought tonight as I ran across the Avatar score in my iTunes library: Who is James Cameron going to hire to replace James Horner for the sequels? There are a lot of great composers out there, but still, it's an unenviable task for sure.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The production posted a behind the scenes pic on Twitter showing Cameron filming on-set with a 3D camera rig:

EF4yWmHUwAEt12c.jpg:large

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
You know what's great about how long it has taken Cameron to get this made. The first Avatar really propelled the rise of the 3D craze and made people go nuts for 3D. Well, it been so long that he gets to revive 3D again with the sequel.

Is he doing any IMAX with the sequels?

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
You know what's great about how long it has taken Cameron to get this made. The first Avatar really propelled the rise of the 3D craze and made people go nuts for 3D. Well, it been so long that he gets to revive 3D again with the sequel.

Is he doing any IMAX with the sequels?

It's taking so long because, apparently, Cameron is THE cameraman!!! ;)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
So the first Avatar movie cost something like $237 million according to the article in wikipedia, which adjusting for inflation would be about $283 million today. But we also know that this will be even more spectacular, plus it has HFR, no doubt they are paying the actors more, plus the pre-production on this has been one of the longest in history, which makes me wonder if Avatar 2 will be more like a $350 million dollar movie? Anyway, I'm looking forward to it, since I loved the first Avatar movie. I mean, I might have wished that Cameron had made other movies rather than spending what looks like the whole rest of his career on this series, but that's obviously water under the bridge, and so I'm excited. And yet still we've got another 2 years to wait?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Has there been any revelation of how Sigorney Weaver manages to appear in the the sequel. Her character was dead, last I knew.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
BTW, I don’t think Cameron’s saying he’s done with HFR. I think he’s saying that he sees it as a tool that doesn’t have to be used in every single scene of the movie. I’d actually like to see more of filmmakers using these tools for specific purposes. Afterall, we have surround sound but not every second of the movie plays through each speaker equally. Why not the same for visual enhancements too?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Has there been any revelation of how Sigorney Weaver manages to appear in the the sequel..

I'm pretty sure I read something somewhere at some point saying that she would play a different character, although I don't remember where I read it so I can't say whether that's actually accurate or not. Certainly it is something tha the movie willneed to address one way or the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks