Avatar One, Two, Three, Four and... Five!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
At this point I'd even be happy with streaming versions that I could purchase, Josh. If that work has already been done, why not put them out for sale? There are tons of films of this age that are available both for digital purchase and shown on subscription streaming services. It's not like these two movies are making a company like HBO tons of money due to exclusivity.
I wish they’d do just that.

I really think it’s inertia.

And a little bit of the catch-22 that we often see with Warner Archive’s “perfection or nothing at all” policy. These were big movies when they came out and they’d want a big return for any splashy release, but the lack of a tie-in and the current physical media market make a big, splashy release difficult. But they probably also feel that these titles are too big to just license out or do something small with. So they’re just kinda stuck.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I would like to remind everybody that the current available DVDs of both films were released in late 1999 from Laserdisc masters. Apparently, those were the last masters that Cameron approved for Home Video. As such they are non-anamorphic. To make matters worse, The Abyss "SE" even states on the package that it has been "Enhanced for Widescreen TVs". Unfortunately, this is incorrect.

As a *huge* James Cameron fan, I am *devastated* that we have been waiting for over 20 years now for even proper, anamorphically-enhanced DVDs of these movies -- much less Blu-ray or UHD transfers. "True Lies" *was* released to D-VHS in 720p. I'm almost ready to see if I can track one of those down ... *sigh*

Reactions: sleroi

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
While I understand and sympathize with everyone wanting these movies on Blu-ray and UHD, the real question for this thread is:

Will anyone care about Avatar 2 in 2022? Assuming that this new release dates actually sticks, there will have been a 13-year gap between the release of the first film and its sequel. To put that in context, Marvel has released 23 films in 12 years, which would have been 24 by now if Black Widow had been able to come out as originally scheduled. Disney has gotten fans accustomed to the idea that you never have to wait too long for the next chapter, and Avatar flies in the face of that strategy.

Obviously, people who have bet against James Cameron in the past have been very wrong. However, it does seem like the marketing challenge facing Disney is reintroducing this world and these characters to moviegoers after a prolonged absence. They did that very well when relaunching Star Wars in 2015 with The Force Awakens, but with that, there had been six previous films that demonstrated their cultural staying power. Avatar was a huge hit in 2009/10, but it was one movie. It will be interesting to see how Disney approaches the reintroduction of this property to the market.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
While I understand and sympathize with everyone wanting these movies on Blu-ray and UHD, the real question for this thread is:

Will anyone care about Avatar 2 in 2022? Assuming that this new release dates actually sticks, there will have been a 13-year gap between the release of the first film and its sequel. To put that in context, Marvel has released 23 films in 12 years, which would have been 24 by now if Black Widow had been able to come out as originally scheduled. Disney has gotten fans accustomed to the idea that you never have to wait too long for the next chapter, and Avatar flies in the face of that strategy.

Obviously, people who have bet against James Cameron in the past have been very wrong. However, it does seem like the marketing challenge facing Disney is reintroducing this world and these characters to moviegoers after a prolonged absence. They did that very well when relaunching Star Wars in 2015 with The Force Awakens, but with that, there had been six previous films that demonstrated their cultural staying power. Avatar was a huge hit in 2009/10, but it was one movie. It will be interesting to see how Disney approaches the reintroduction of this property to the market.
There is no doubt that Disney is working hard to keep people invested in Avatar. They have the huge Pandora attraction now at Walt Disney World which was doing quite well prior to the Pandemic; and practically every time I go to Disney+ the film is featured on the front page. So they’re doing what they can at this point. But now — as you’ve just pointed out — they unexpectedly have another two years to bridge the gap to December 2022. At this point they may need to consider a Disney+ two or three episode Avatar limited animated series to help marketing out. Ideally, it would drop in November 2021 as a lead-in to the first trailers. They certainly have plenty of time to mount something like this, but it’s debatable that Cameron would be amenable to it. But “desperate times call for desperate measures” and this certainly qualifies.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

I've been saying it for years now but Cameron knows how to create a spectacle so I think the trailers for this movie are going to be amazing and the lack of interest is going to do a 180 degree turn.

Sam Favate

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
There is no doubt that Disney is working hard to keep people invested in Avatar. They have the huge Pandora attraction now at Walt Disney World which was doing quite well prior to the Pandemic;
I will say that the ride where you sit on something that looks like a motorcycle simulator in front of a screen and wear VR goggles to make you think it’s one of those flying dragons from the movie might be the single most thrilling ride I have ever been on.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Of course Cameron can't have known that production would eventually be owned by Disney. By the time they are released, watching a film theatrically will be a distant memory. Wonder how much Disney will charge to stream A2 etc.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I pay premium for this to see streaming to home instead of Mulan. Not that I wont see Mulan, I can wait for that.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Of course Cameron can't have known that production would eventually be owned by Disney. By the time they are released, watching a film theatrically will be a distant memory. Wonder how much Disney will charge to stream A2 etc.
I can’t think of a more greedy studio than Disney. They’ll overcharge. Will they stream in 3D?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Real Name
Doug
I'm extremely pessimistic about the future of theaters but they'll still be around in two years.
I just hope it gets a theatrical release. There is simply no way that films like these will have the same impact at home on first viewing as they would on a huge theater screen with a huge sound system.

Reactions: TravisR

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I will say that the ride where you sit on something that looks like a motorcycle simulator in front of a screen and wear VR goggles to make you think it’s one of those flying dragons from the movie might be the single most thrilling ride I have ever been on.
I wouldn't call it "most thrilling", but yeah, it's certainly one of the very best and most memorable overall... and seems to hit the sweet spot for a very wide demographic... which is why the lines still run extremely long 3(?) years after its opening w/ fastpasses not easy to book (even 60 days ahead of time). The standby line would pretty much reach 2-hour-plus wait almost instantly after the park's official opening time during busy seasons, eg. during mid-Feb winter school break, not even talking the summertime peak, (whether w/ or w/out their morning extra hour)... and it then proceeds toward peaks that might exceed an insane 4-hour wait w/ the midday Florida sun beating down on yah for at least 1/2 that time (as if 2-hour wait during milder, less sunny hours isn't crazy enough :rolleyes:).

I'd add though I do find the PQ and image resolution somewhat wanting/lacking, especially after the first time or two through the ride. I still enjoy it each time I ride it, but the imagery isn't as impressive as the first couple times.

This article mentions 10K in 3D, but it looks lower (perceived) res to me than 1080p in 2D on my 100-120" modest projection setup from 12ft viewing distance -- maybe more comparable to 720p or even the best 480p in my setup.

But nobody else I come across (who also aren't HT enthusiasts) seems to feel the same about the PQ, so...

Anyway, I imagine the whole DisneyWorld Pandora experience (highlighted by that one 4D ride) would've helped a whole lot w/ promoting these sequels... except for this pandemic...

_Man_

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Hopefully the trailer for the next one won't give away the plot again.
Cameron's trailers tend to have spoilers. See the original trailer for Titanic, etc. So if you don't want spoilers, you should avoid it and/or close your eyes and plug your ears when it comes on.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbob7777