What's new

AVATAR: Blu-ray takes the "Superbit" approach (1 Viewer)

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
The Digital Bits reported a story based on the LA Times article about the upcoming release of AVATAR, which will indeed be on Earth Day.

However there will be no extras of any kind whatsoever to maximize the audio / video quality, similar to the ideal Superbit DVD was trying to attain for a while.

The multi-disc 'ultimate' edition will be in November, and I ask of you this question:

Will you purchase this knowing a special edition is coming later this year, but also knowing steps were taken to make it THE reference Blu-ray title there is, or will you hold off? Chances are it may be the same A/V presentation next time with additional scenes and the extra discs but time will tell.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to be purchasing it. This is mainly due to the fact that I've just *got* to have this movie in my collection as soon as I can. The next release of the movie to BD will not only have slews of supplements, but will also be in 3D. (With compatible 2D playback).

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Joseph Bolus

The next release of the movie to BD will not only have slews of supplements, but will also be in 3D. (With compatible 2D playback).
Actually, be prepared to "triple-dip", because it's been made pretty much official now that there will be a guaranteed three versions of the film that will come out:

1. A full disc-capacity movie-only release on April 22
2. A multi-disc special edition in November, coinciding with a 3D theatrical re-release (to make up for the fact that "Alice in Wonderland" pushed the film out of 3D theaters)
3. A Blu-ray 3D version that won't be released until 2011, and even then only when 3D TVs and the surrounding home technology is in enough hands to justify it.

Heinz W

Second Unit
I'll double-dip, but I won't triple-dip.

I'm buying the barebones release in April, then the 3D version whenever it comes out. I'm assuming that the 3D release will also include bonus features similar to the Special Edition later this year. I can wait.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
If it's priced appropriately, I will just pick up the bare bones addition. Extra features are not a big deal for me, so there will be no need to double dip on an "ultimate edition". Since I do not plan on upgrading to a 3D system anytime soon, I can pass on that version, too, whenever it comes out.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Nicholas Martin

Actually, be prepared to "triple-dip", because it's been made pretty much official now that there will be a guaranteed three versions of the film that will come out:

1. A full disc-capacity movie-only release on April 22
2. A multi-disc special edition in November, coinciding with a 3D theatrical re-release (to make up for the fact that "Alice in Wonderland" pushed the film out of 3D theaters)
3. A Blu-ray 3D version that won't be released until 2011, and even then only when 3D TVs and the surrounding home technology is in enough hands to justify it.
Well that's just ducky! ... And typical of the studio's shortsightedness.

The only title which will drive the common consumer to upgrade his display, receiver, and BD player to "3D" is "Avatar". Do they really expect people to upgrade all of that equipment in order to view "Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs" in 3D??

"Avatar" released to Blu-ray 3D in November would:
* Spur immediate interest in the fledgling 3D format.
* Solidify Blu-ray as a "Next Generation" home video format in the minds of the mass consumer. DVD will *never* be able to provide this kind of 3D in the home. Telling people that the only way they can get "Avatar-style" 3D at home is with a properly-equipped Blu-ray player is something that can be easily understood by "Joe Six Pack". It is a much harder sell, though, when Avatar itself is not available on the format!
* Not impact sales of the Avatar "Special Features" Edition disc in November. Re-purchasing a 3D/2D-compatible "Avatar" in November with tons of supplements is a no-brainer. Knowing that the 3D version will only be available at some nebulous time in the future will serve to fragment purchasing decisions (as has already been evidenced by replies in this thread)!

This is typical "cut-our-own-throats" studio stupidity!!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Joseph Bolus

* Spur immediate interest in the fledgling 3D format.
* Solidify Blu-ray as a "Next Generation" home video format in the minds of the mass consumer. DVD will *never* be able to provide this kind of 3D in the home. Telling people that the only way they can get "Avatar-style" 3D at home is with a properly-equipped Blu-ray player is something that can be easily understood by "Joe Six Pack". It is a much harder sell, though, when Avatar itself is not available on the format!
* Not impact sales of the Avatar "Special Features" Edition disc in November. Re-purchasing a 3D/2D-compatible "Avatar" in November with tons of supplements is a no-brainer. Knowing that the 3D version will only be available at some nebulous time in the future will serve to fragment purchasing decisions (as has already been evidenced by replies in this thread)!

This is typical "cut-our-own-throats" studio stupidity!!
Totally disagree. While I think any film would spur interest in the 3d format, the reality is that it's not a studio's job to lose money/push a disc with a super limited audience. It may be 3D gaming or something that helps, but the biggest thing that will spark consumer interest is when 3D set options are not at a $1,000 premium over their current 2D cousins. The price gap is simply too significant right now to cause consumers to really pay it any heed.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I'll be happy to add the 2-D version to my collection as I deliberately avoided the 3-D version at the cinema (I LOATHE wearing those glasses--even for a 90 min. kiddie movie, so 3 hours was out of the question).

Dennis Maricic

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis
I will buy the Barebones version. If it's been done to maximize video and quality, then it's worth it.

At the end of the day it is the film that is important, not all the extras, as nice as they are.

felipenor

Stunt Coordinator
It was not done to maximize video and quality. It they wanted that they could've put the special features on disc
. They didn't because they want to milk the cow.
Originally Posted by Dennis Maricic

I will buy the Barebones version. If it's been done to maximize video and quality, then it's worth it.

At the end of the day it is the film that is important, not all the extras, as nice as they are.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Sold!

I won't even bother re-purchasing this in November. I'm not a fan of extras, special features and all that other waste of space so a Superbit style Blu-ray is perfectly fine.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by mattCR

Totally disagree. While I think any film would spur interest in the 3d format, the reality is that it's not a studio's job to lose money/push a disc with a super limited audience. It may be 3D gaming or something that helps, but the biggest thing that will spark consumer interest is when 3D set options are not at a $1,000 premium over their current 2D cousins. The price gap is simply too significant right now to cause consumers to really pay it any heed.
Please explain to me how a 3D release of Avatar in November will lose money for Fox?? The disc will be backward-compatible with all current, extant, Blu-ray players *and* will provide extra content and desired supplements to boot! The fact that the 3D Avatar experience is locked-in that disc somewhere (just waiting for the proper equipment to release it) will actually *enhance* its sales while at the same time driving additional hardware sales *and* solidifying Blu-ray's status as the "best way to view a movie at home". And it certainly doesn't mean that Fox can't release another "3D Ultimate Collector's Edition" of Avatar a few years down the road when the format is more firmly established. It's actually a "win-win" for everybody involved!

sojo2009

Auditioning
Real Name
sojo
actually i'm wondering will i got 3D capable technology or not when the Avatar 3D Blu-ray is released (Fox still not confirmed). I watched it on theatre and loved it so much especially for the first half of the movie. There are a lot of options for viewing 3D within my knowledge i got from online sources. PS3, Nvidia solution for PC's, AMD solution (on the way), BD Player solution. will all of them have the same visual quality of 3D?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by Ron-P

Sold!

I won't even bother re-purchasing this in November. I'm not a fan of extras, special features and all that other waste of space so a Superbit style Blu-ray is perfectly fine.

In recent years, I've come to care less and less about special features, too. When DVD was new and novel, I would listen to every commentary and watch every feature. Now, sadly, it seems that the quality of many of these extras isn't what I seem to remember them being, and I simply don't have the time to watch them all. Having a large front projection system, I also have an appreciation for films that have the absolute best picture quality.

However, Avatar may be the one exception for me. I am completely fascinated with the few behind-the-scenes featurettes I've seen online already, and would probably make the time to see how Avatar was made.

I've seen Avatar twice in theaters, and can certainly wait until November (actually, would probably put it on my Christmas list - so make it December) to see it again. I just hope that the November release includes the same high-quality transfer as the first release and that picture quality isn't sacrificed for inclusion of the commentary track(s).

I have confidence that Cameron will take an active role in ensuring the highest quality for his movies on any home video format.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
My PS3 is full of those online featurettes and trailers, so I've got quite a bit of bonus material right there. That being said, I'll gladly get a special edition for everything about the film. Jim Cameron is just one of those people who when he talks, I MUST listen.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield

If it's priced appropriately, I will just pick up the bare bones addition.
Same here. I can deal with $20 or maybe I'll even wait about 6 weeks (which seems to be the magic number for Fox titles to go on sale) and grab it for $15.

I wouldn't say that they're taking the Superbit approach. The movie isn't even 3 hours so they could easily put a few featurettes, deleted scenes, etc. on the disc without comprising the AV quality. Either the special features aren't completed yet or, more likely, Fox is just holding them all back for the SE in November. That being said, I'm not really complaining since I know that the SE is coming soon.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I know that alot of people are excited about this title. its a no win sitatuion with no extras or extras. some people like them and some do not. I am sure the se will be great.
I preordered the avatar april 22 release for 19 bucks at blockbuster. I am glad that they are releasing a dvd with it. not everyone has a blu ray player, much less the dvd player.

Jacob

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks