What's new

‘Avatar 2’ Renews Push for 3D Format in Movie Theaters (1 Viewer)

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
If Avatar 2 is available theatrically in 2D... that's what I will seek out. 3D gives me a royal headache and eye strain.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Not interested until we get Creature from the Black Lagoon 2 in 3D.
Creature from the Black Lagoon 2 was in 3D. It was titled Revenge of the Creature (1955) and it had cool 3D filmed at Marineland of Florida oceanarium to great effect.
revenge24.gif

Last edited:

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
I was shocked and happily surprised to see that our local 12 screen theater as showing Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness in 3D as they haven't had a 3D release show here for the last 3+ years at least. I talked to the manager and just as I thought Disney was contractually making them show it in 3D if they wanted to show Avatar 2. I had spoken to him in the past about the lack of 3D showings and he had said it was because people hate 3D and he again said this regarding their current programing. I again told him that some people like myself actually do like it and its one of the few things that will get me into a theater as I have a big screen TV and Atmos at home so without 3D why bother dragging myself here. Anyway, before looking into it I was sure Disney was forcing them to have these showings and I was right and I'm sure it won't last due to their reluctance at wanting to bother with 3D or maintenance in general.

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness is a great 3D conversion and really adds a lot to so many of the dense busy CGI scenes that dot the film and I really enjoyed it. 3D to me adds so much more visually to a presentation than its flat version. It's funny that as the 3D conversions have gotten better and better the theaters began showing less of them. Oh, there was a good crowd for this 10PM showing on a Tuesday night so I wouldn't say people were avoiding the 3D showing as they could have chosen a flat presentation as the film is playing on two other screens.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I think I'll share this both here and in the relevant projector thread.

I'm preparing for what needs to be my last projector upgrade so that I can fully retire without the cloud of another huge HT expense looming over my head at some point. Got the speakers, [for the most part] got the subs and I've got the screen. I may want another Pre/Pro at some point but that's for another thread and another time. I also realize there will always be some expense. I'm just trying to cover the big ones.

I love my Epson 6050 but, for several reasons, my final projector needs to be laser based. When the Epson LS12000 was announced I thought I might have found the 6050's replacement and at an acceptable price but alas, no 3D, something you've been able to take for granted in Epson projectors for many years now!

With the next realistic contender costing more than double the LS12000's already hefty price I knew it was time for me to have a reckoning of sorts with 3D. It had been so long since I'd even used the feature that I needed to order new sets of glasses. They arrived yesterday and I popped in one of my favorites, Tron Legacy. My wife isn't usually big into watching films in the Theater room but she was all in for this showing. For me, properly done of course, 3D adds a whole new, well, "dimension" that elevates the overall experience all that much more. This is especially true in a light-controlled room and on a large screen. Tomorrow I'll probably be watching Gravity, another favorite.

In conclusion, my mind is made up. I'm not letting go of 3D and I'm serious enough about it to spring for the Sony 7000 or JVC NZ7. Now I just have to allocate the funds. :confused:

Typo folks. I meant the Sony 6000. Thanks for the catch, @DaveF

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
In conclusion, my mind is made up. I'm not letting go of 3D and I'm serious enough about it to spring for the Sony 7000 or JVC NZ7. Now I just have to allocate the funds. :confused:
Way to go. If another 3D film was never put on disc, there are still plenty of fine 3D films to watch. I envy you when you watch 3D on a big screen.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
In conclusion, my mind is made up. I'm not letting go of 3D

That’s ultimately how I feel as well - hopefully price won’t become an insurmountable issue down the road.

Overall, I watch more 2D content in total than 3D content, but when I think about the movies that I rewatch most frequently, there’s a disproportionately high number of 3D titles that get pulled out every year. For me, losing 3D wouldn’t mean losing out on one or two things I barely watched. It would mean losing maybe 25% of my yearly viewing, a 25% that I look forward to very much each year. I bought my projector specifically for its ability to deliver high quality 3D.

Now I recognize that I’m in a very small minority on this and that’s fine. I have no need to talk people who don’t like 3D into giving it another chance. All I ask of others who feel different is that they respect that this is my preference and that it’s important to me.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I think I'll share this both here and in the relevant projector thread.

I'm preparing for what needs to be my last projector upgrade so that I can fully retire without the cloud of another huge HT expense looming over my head at some point. Got the speakers, [for the most part] got the subs and I've got the screen. I may want another Pre/Pro at some point but that's for another thread and another time. I also realize there will always be some expense. I'm just trying to cover the big ones.

I love my Epson 6050 but, for several reasons, my final projector needs to be laser based. When the Epson LS12000 was announced I thought I might have found the 6050's replacement and at an acceptable price but alas, no 3D, something you've been able to take for granted in Epson projectors for many years now!

With the next realistic contender costing more than double the LS12000's already hefty price I knew it was time for me to have a reckoning of sorts with 3D. It had been so long since I'd even used the feature that I needed to order new sets of glasses. They arrived yesterday and I popped in one of my favorites, Tron Legacy. My wife isn't usually big into watching films in the Theater room but she was all in for this showing. For me, properly done of course, 3D adds a whole new, well, "dimension" that elevates the overall experience all that much more. This is especially true in a light-controlled room and on a large screen. Tomorrow I'll probably be watching Gravity, another favorite.

John, let me say this. I actually did come to the bridge of letting go of 3D as I finally purchased the Epson LS12000 (won't receive it until July, grumble, grumble) and here's the reason I decided I could do that. I've never been 100% happy with active-shutter technology (even on my Epson 5040UB) as it has never achieved the perfect opposite eye light blocking that polarized lenses do. Even though ghosting was minimal it was still there. So since I really wasn't happy with active-shutter technology in general, I am willing to lose it until they come up with something better that can actually replicate the 3D experience you can get in theaters.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
So since I really wasn't happy with active-shutter technology in general, I am willing to lose it until they come up with something better that can actually replicate the 3D experience you can get in theaters.
I can totally understand your position. Believe me, I wanted soooo much to love the LS12000, buy it and be done. I even considered holding onto my 6050 for occasional 3D viewing. Epson is a brand I'm both familiar and comfortable with, plus I know it will work with my existing ceiling mount. It checks off a lot of important boxes. While I'm sure they had good reasons to make the design choices they did with the LS12000 [the Sony 6000 also lacks 3D support] given the price tags on the JVC NZ7 and Sony 7000, you'd think there might be room in the marketplace for a higher priced competing model from Epson. Maybe next year?

I noticed some slight ghosting today but it wasn't at all distracting to me. In the end I believe we should all spend our hard earned money however we see fit. Congratulations on your purchase, Mark. I definitely believe you'll be getting a great projector and at an extremely attractive price.

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
That’s ultimately how I feel as well - hopefully price won’t become an insurmountable issue down the road.
That's another reason I'm choosing to deal with this sooner than later. I'm also planning to start building up my collection.

Artanis

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
Let me throw this in the mix as I missed it earlier. Make that a potential of, FOUR blockbuster 3D hits in 2022. Jurassic Park: Jurassic World Dominion, is also going to receive a heavy marking push for the 3D experience. If this doesn't spark a reassurance of more 3D fare, I'll eat my hat.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I honestly don’t see this year as being much different than any of the recent previous years. Theatrically, all of the Marvel Studios produced films have continued to receive 3D releases - Doctor Strange 2 wasn’t an anomaly in that regard. Many CGI animated children’s films continue to receive 3D releases. High budget tentpoles continue to receive 3D releases. They’re simply not as widespread as they used to be.

2020 was somewhat of an anomaly due to the pandemic, but in 2021, there were at least the following 3D releases theatrically in the U.S.:

-Raya and the Last Dragon
-Godzilla vs. Kong
-The Boss Baby: Family Business
-Black Widow
-Jungle Cruise
-Free Guy
-Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
-Venom: Let There Be Carnage
-The Addams Family 2
-No Time To Die
-Dune
-Ron’s Gone Wrong
-Eternals
-Encanto
-Spider-Man: No Way Home
-Sing 2

Most of those films were successful, some massively so. They’re not moving the needle on 3D acceptance. The people that like it already like it, and the people who don’t like it continue not to like it. I think the 3D versions of top grossing titles like the Marvel Studios films garner enough box office (especially worldwide) to make their continued 3D release likely for the coming years.

I think the pattern we’ve settled into is basically where things will remain - a selection of the biggest films each year will be released in a variety of formats, of which 3D is one. Because the 3D showings attract a smaller crowd, they will in many instances be scheduled at less popular times of the day. While this may be inconvenient for enthusiasts like us, it allows it to remain sustainably by not booking shows in 3D that don’t sell at times when there is major demand for 2D showings.

It is what it is at this point. I don’t think it’s dead but I don’t think a Renaissance is around the corner either. And I think that’s ok. As long as we get to see them, what difference does it make that our preferences are different from that of the general public?

Vern Dias

Second Unit
Real Name
Theodore V Dias
I've never been 100% happy with active-shutter technology (even on my Epson 5040UB) as it has never achieved the perfect opposite eye light blocking that polarized lenses do. Even though ghosting was minimal it was still there. So since I really wasn't happy with active-shutter technology in general, I am willing to lose it until they come up with something better that can actually replicate the 3D experience you can get in theaters.
I guess you haven't experienced active shutter 3D technology on any of the JVC NZ line. Absolutely no ghosting whatsoever. Combined with the high laser setting this yields the best 3D I have ever seen in my HT.

Artanis

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
I honestly don’t see this year as being much different than any of the recent previous years. Theatrically, all of the Marvel Studios produced films have continued to receive 3D releases - Doctor Strange 2 wasn’t an anomaly in that regard. Many CGI animated children’s films continue to receive 3D releases. High budget tentpoles continue to receive 3D releases. They’re simply not as widespread as they used to be.

2020 was somewhat of an anomaly due to the pandemic, but in 2021, there were at least the following 3D releases theatrically in the U.S.:

-Raya and the Last Dragon
-Godzilla vs. Kong
-The Boss Baby: Family Business
-Black Widow
-Jungle Cruise
-Free Guy
-Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
-Venom: Let There Be Carnage
-The Addams Family 2
-No Time To Die
-Dune
-Ron’s Gone Wrong
-Eternals
-Encanto
-Spider-Man: No Way Home
-Sing 2

Most of those films were successful, some massively so. They’re not moving the needle on 3D acceptance. The people that like it already like it, and the people who don’t like it continue not to like it. I think the 3D versions of top grossing titles like the Marvel Studios films garner enough box office (especially worldwide) to make their continued 3D release likely for the coming years.

I think the pattern we’ve settled into is basically where things will remain - a selection of the biggest films each year will be released in a variety of formats, of which 3D is one. Because the 3D showings attract a smaller crowd, they will in many instances be scheduled at less popular times of the day. While this may be inconvenient for enthusiasts like us, it allows it to remain sustainably by not booking shows in 3D that don’t sell at times when there is major demand for 2D showings.

It is what it is at this point. I don’t think it’s dead but I don’t think a Renaissance is around the corner either. And I think that’s ok. As long as we get to see them, what difference does it make that our preferences are different from that of the general public?
So, You're telling me I gotta break out the A-1 Steak Sauce. : (-

Hey...I'm a 3D optimist. Delusions of grandeur, even. I may be buying into the hype, but there is a lot of buzz out there. Not just to rebirth 3D. But to reconstruct what people think of 3D, and their experience - especially targeting 3D naysayers. Clearly lessons are there to learn from, and TPTB have taken notice. Cameron seems confident he has an entirely different technique, technology, and branding strategy that if successful, most certainly others will not only take note, but try to implement.

James^Dew

Auditioning
Avatar in 3D in theaters was impressive so many years ago. It got me excited to see 3D on many movies but nothing after it came close. Cameron developed cameras and workflows to do full 3D with dual cameras. After that due to costs and time most productions relied on companies to digitally create 2 images which to me created eye strain.

I tried a bunch of films and 3d and finally gave up on 3D. I tried again for the Cameron backed Alita which i think was a test bed for Avatar 2 tech and was impressed again. Tron Legacy was very good but not up to the level of a Cameron production.

It is my opinion that digital construction of 3D is the reason it was a failure. If production companies flood the market with cheaply made 3D conversion it will fail again.

I like the trying new tech and will see Avatar 2 in 3D but not all new tech works. Saw the first Hobbit movie in HFR knowing it was not going well and it was awful. Didn’t go to the theaters for the remaining Hobbit movies. Granted that production was a cash grab and it showed.

Finally for home I believe the current modern displays with VRR and display frequencies of 120Hz should be able to manage 3D with shutter glasses. Older shutter systems worked but not as well as the polerization systems. The issue is going to be a cash grab again. Even though my TV is fast enough to show a movie in 3D the makers will say buy a new display if you want 3D. Your old TV for some reason won’t be capable but they will sell you a new display. Course is someone can actually make glasses free that is a different ballgame. However I don’t see glasses free coming out for years if ever.

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Hi all,

I bought a Panasonic plasma 3D TV in 2013 and it’s still going strong.
Friends who come over to watch some of my 3D movie collection are blown away by the 3D effect. So what if you have to wear a pair of light weight 3D glasses for 2 hours. If the movie is decent, you forget you’re wearing them.
When that dreadful day comes that my 3D TV passes, I will definitely look for a 3D display…most likely a projector.

John

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I honestly don’t see this year as being much different than any of the recent previous years.
I basically agree but I do think the Avatar sequel will have as big of a push for 3-D as any movie has had since maybe the first one. I expect Cameron will want the marketing to focus on the 3-D like it's a star of the movie and that will help bolster this movie's 3-D ticket sales. That being said, I don't really expect that to have any effect on 3-D beyond that one movie.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It is my opinion that digital construction of 3D is the reason it was a failure. If production companies flood the market with cheaply made 3D conversion it will fail again.
It was a perfect storm of idiocy that killed 3D. First, they charged more for it, second, they didn’t use it completely (no forward projection). Hollywood didn’t charge more when widescreen or stereo was introduced. Then for the home market the movie that is the “killer app” to borrow a phrase, Avatar, you can’t have it. Néener, neener. Oh, ok we’ll let you have if it you buy a Panasonic TV or blu ray player. How stupid and greedy can you be. And then finally there a hefty premium to buy the 3D discs themselves, more greed.

I don’t think the after production conversions killed 3D, many of them were pretty good. It was Hollywood stupidity and greed. IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks