Avalon- R2 Japan reviews?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Kleist, Aug 15, 2001.

1. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Anyone have a review they can give me for Mamoru Oshii's Avalon? The R2 is anamorphic and DTS, and I keep thinking that the US disc, if they follow Miramax's current HK practices will not have the original Polish Dialogue(there are English subs on the R2). There is an SE of Avalon as well, but since the extras are untranslated, I don't know if I'll get it
    Miramax will probably dump that 2nd disc of goodies in the US as well [​IMG]
    Jeff Kleist

2. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

3. Jeff Kleist

Right, I have the disc specs, but before I plunk down my 4800yen, I'd like to find an actual review, preferably by an HTFer [​IMG] I'll probably end up doing so anyway, but I like ot have my purchases validated [​IMG]
    Jeff Kleist

4. Michael Banks

I recently purchased this movie for the plain fact that I will buy anything done by Oshii. The movie itself is a beautiful transfer. I bought the standard edition which has dolby ex no DTS. The story is one that has to be watched more than once to truly understand.
    If you have seen any of Oshii's other films ie: JinRoh, Patlabor Movies, GITS, or Blood, then you know his visual style. To me it was definitely worth the money for the R2 release. If you like good involving stories, you will enjoy this film.
    Well this was my first post, I hope it helped a little.

5. Jeff Kleist

Hmm, according to the listings I've seen, the single DOES have DTS, guess they're wrong. DTS sounds the same to me anyway. I love Oshii, which is why I want this of course, thanks for the review
    Jeff Kleist