Avalon R1 Dubtitles

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Gabe Oppenheim, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Gabe Oppenheim

Gabe Oppenheim Stunt Coordinator

Although I've reconciled myself to dubtitles on foreign films over the years (at least one gets the original soundtrack and attendant performances; a presumably weaker translation is unfortunate and detrimental but most English speakers, including me, will never know the difference anyway), the subtitle streams recorded on the Avalon disc are particularly egregious, as the dubbed English soundtrack features lengthy voiceovers that were not part of the original Polish soundtrack; these voiceovers, sadly, are included on both English subtitle streams (there is a third English subtitle on the disc that does not appear to include any titles at all) making the movie all but impossible to for me to enjoy or even watch.

I know that there is nothing to be done about this; Buena Vista doesn't seem to listen much to petitions and, at any rate, Avalon is much too low-profile for a reissue (and god forbid that one should look even in the general direction of a legit overseas release of a Buena Vista-owned film. . . ), but hopefullly other interested parties will know to avoid this disc like the plague (or at least like athlete's foot).

It's a darn shame, is all.

2. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Ugh... dubtitles suck and Disney is the biggest offender. I have to run Kiki's Delivery Service through my computer so I can add a literal sub track with DVDsubber because it's so bad.

I don't understand Polish though... do you? Might make it more bearable. ("ignorance IS bliss", afterall) Do you know if the Region 2 Japanese DVD had dubtitles? (a friend of mine has it, but he is not online this late) [​IMG]

Disney is just too damn lazy to pay someone to retranslate these films into a literal subtitle if there is already an existing dub script. It's a money thing and they don't think that those who would use subs (people who don't know a word of the language, apparently) will notice.

3. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Hmm, my friend says the R2 doesn't have dubtitles (apparently also verified by a Polish speaker). Sounds like a rights issue. If you've got an extra 4800JY on ya, you can pick it up at CDjapan http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BCBJ-867
    they also have the Memorial Box which features:
    "a booklet with production notes, early screenplay draft and storyboard. It comes in a box with a bonus disc that contains Polish location (behind-the-scenes) footage, the making of visual FX footage (one side, single layer. [Subtitles not available on bonus disc]"
    ... all for the cool price of just 12800JY...
    http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BCBJ-866

[​IMG]

4. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    There's is one version of Kiki's Delivery Service that uses the literal translation. It's the Taiwan release from Buena Vista. It's hard to find but the only one I know of that is correct.

Jeff

5. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

I have the region 2 and it does not have dubtitles.

6. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

I have Avalon that is labeled R3 but is actually R0. I don't think it has subs.....

7. AndrewR

AndrewR Stunt Coordinator