Avalanche 18 vs BP 1803

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Mike.D.K, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Mike.D.K

Mike.D.K Stunt Coordinator

Would going from two Blueprint 1803's to two Avalanche 18's be an upgrade? The Bp's are in sonotubes and I would put the Avalanches in sealed boxes. Just wanting to get some opinions. Thanks Mike

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

3. Brian-K-Owens

Brian-K-Owens Stunt Coordinator

Are the sonotubes ported? Do you use an EQ?

If the BP's are setup in large ported sonotubes with an EQ to flatten the response, the sealed AVA's are more than likely going to sound like a downgrade for HT.

If they are both sealed without EQ in the same size enclosures, I would guess the AVA would have a slight advantage in the low end. I never really cared for my BP 1803's until I got an EQ on them.

If you don't have an EQ on the BP's, I woudl consider getting one for an upgrade. . .

Brian

4. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

I little birdie told me that the inductance is much higher on the Ava series drivers than the specs indicate inspite of it being a XBL^2 driver, so, you probably wouldn't be gaining anything even if you compared them in similar alignments.

5. Mike.D.K

Yes the Sonotubes are 10 cu ft. Tons of output. Thanks for the replies . Mike

6. Brian-K-Owens

Brian-K-Owens Stunt Coordinator

I have used both in home and car. The AVA 18 definitely sounds much better without any EQ. Does not have near the same bump in the freq. response around 60 Hz.

If you have the 1803's in large ported enclosures, and you want to move to AVA 18's in small sealed enclosures, I would guess it is going to feel like an overall downgrade for HT.

If you use the AVA 18's in the same 10 ft enclosures, I would guess if you are not currently using an EQ, you will see some improvement, but if you have an EQ on the 1803's, it would not be worth the $$$.

Brian

7. Mike.D.K

I was only considering the Avalanches because of the smaller enclosures. I'll keep the BP's and the money in my pocket. Thanks again