Available titles you want but have put off buying?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Greg_S_H, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I've got a bad habit, and I want to know if I'm alone. Also, this thread could serve as impetus to buy some of these titles. You see, I tend to want titles--sometimes quite badly--but I never end up getting them. An example is My Bodyguard and Breaking Away. When these were first announced, I was ecstatic. I didn't want any titles more than I wanted those. But, a couple of years later, I still haven't gotten either. They could be out of print by now, as far as I know. Also, I am a big Bogart fan. I've seen the lion's share of his films via TCM, AMC, and VHS purchases and rentals. But, I only have about three of his titles on DVD. This, in spite of the fact that some of my favorites like High Sierra and Roaring Twenties are available. Speaking of that, I still haven't gotten the Warner Gangsters box, which is about the most exciting thing I've seen on DVD. When DVD first came around, my number two film was Public Enemy. Well, it's out, and I don't have it. My number one film? Asphalt Jungle. Do I have it? Can you guess? :b

This bizarre habit does have an occassional upside. I never got around to buying more than a handful of the Universal Hitchcocks, and the boxset will be the better option than if I had bought them individually. Still, I really ought to start actually buying DVDs I want.

P.S. I signed the petitions and was dying for widescreen Willie Wonka. Maybe I'll get it soon. [​IMG]

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I put off the 14 Universal Hitchcocks because I didn't want to pay $200 for the two 8-disc sets. However, I did end up getting Psycho for $9. I really wanted Vertigo, but I could never get myself to pay $30 for the DVD.

In the past, I held up on a lot of titles so I could get better valued box sets. For example, I almost got Criterion's DVD of The Bank Dick. Universal's W.C. Fields box set is a much better buy and has a better master of the film.

3. Jing_B

Jing_B Stunt Coordinator

I am waiting for a better versions of Double Indemnity, A Streetcar Named Desire, Network, Ben-Hur (Sep.), The Maltese Falcon, Wuthering Heights, The Deer Hunter (Sep.), The Wild Bunch, Stagecoach, The Searchers, Bonnie and Clyde and The Wizard of Oz.

4. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I can't help you. As dvds I want become available I pick them up. I can't imagine not buying the dvds I want.

5. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Sorry, Greg, I don't understand, your logic escapes me.

If I want it, I buy it, if I don't want it, I don't buy it. Works for me.

6. Greg_S_H

Greg
    It escapes me, too. It's weird. It's not even a money factor, as My Bodyguard and Breaking Away were very cheap. Ah, well. I think I'll start with the Gangster boxset and try to knock out this list.

Actually, I'd need to research when some of these titles came out. That might be my answer. As soon as I started buying TV sets, my movie buying came to an almost dead halt. There were a few exceptions, but I've purchased very few movies the last couple of years.

7. Will_B

Will_B Producer

I typically really want rare versions of films -- such as the Version Integral of Leon (The Professional) which was for the longest time only available as an obscure Japanese release, or the Alan Smithee version of Dune -- but then once these rare films actually get released in the US and are no longer rare or obscure, I feel as if there's no real urgency to get them anymore. Not sure if that is like what you are describing.

8. Greg_S_H

Greg
    Heh. I don't know that it's the same, but I do suspect it was a mistake to make this thread. I'm the only weirdo with this problem. [​IMG]

9. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

Nah, I'm a weirdo too. There are a few DVDs I want to pick up but I just can't bring myself to buying them. I think part of it is an addictive want of buying the disc and I know once I get it home I probably won't watch it. There have been several in the past that I actually did buy and still haven't watched so I'm recognizing the signs.

My name is Paul, I'm a DVD addict, and I have a problem. [​IMG]

-paul

10. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

Well I haven't gotten them yet, but now I want them... the Harry Potter movies... however i'm so anal that I don't want the first two in taht slip case and the third in a keepcase. Silly, I know... Maybe they'll release them all in keepcases when the next movie comes to dvd.

11. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

There isnt much coming out over the next few months Im interested in. I think 6 titles from now to Nov, so I plan on getting some of the titles Ive put off over time.

Picked up The Villiage,Sideways,AI

Want to get:

Life Of Brian CC
    Black Hawk Down Superbit
    Band Of Brothers
    Baadaasssss
    Dead Ringers
    City Of God
    I,Robot
    Mean Creak
    Short Cuts CC

Maybe:
    Ex Ed of LOTR Trilogy

Im forgetting lots of stuff[​IMG]

12. ChrisPearson

ChrisPearson Second Unit

There are a good many Criterions I want that have been pushed to the bottom of my list of priorities because cheaper discs consume my DVD budget. I love Criterion, but faced with, on 14 June for example, Criterion's new disc of Heaven Can Wait for $22.46 at Amazon (one great film) and Warner's Joan Crawford box at $37.44 (five great films), I ended up making the latter choice (I know there are other online stores, I just wanted to make a fair comparison).

On the other hand, there are several titles I've looked forward to then haven't bought when they've proved to be shoddily handled. I've held out in the hope of an improved edition in the future.

However, if I'm really champing at the bit for a title and there's no reason to suppose it's not well-presented, I buy it immediately.

13. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Office Space, The Game, and Blade Runner are the three that come to mind. I should just commit to the first two because they're never getting done.

14. MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison Supporting Actor

I'll put off buying titles that I've not considered buying but get excited about during all the hype at release time. Often times I'll find these "must have" titles completely drop off my radar after a couple months. If they don't, I'll pick them up. But for something I really, really want like you mentioned, I'll buy them and never look back.

15. CherylWI

CherylWI Stunt Coordinator

I've been wanting to buy the PBS series"New York" for some time now but its still a bit pricey. I'm waiting for the big sale for as much as 50 percent off before I dive in. I also procrastinate on many titles because there's so much to get and I'm limited on how much I can spend. I've been dying to get Curse of the Demon/Night of the Demon but have still not purchased it yet. I've bought so many of the TV on DVD sets that now I have to wait until I get extra cash.

16. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

The fact that there are a lot of DVDs sitting on the shelf that I haven't watched yet (After a couple of years, I finally got around to watching "The Wicker Man". Good film.), I'm passing much more often than I used to. Only those on the top of the "must have" list get bought, or if I get it at a good price.

Considering that a lot of DVDs seem to drop in price about 6-12 months after release, there isn't too much incentive to buy immediatly.

Jason

17. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

Breakfast At Tiffany's- waiting for a long overdue Special Edition!

18. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

CAPE FEAR (1991): I guess I should pick it up soon since it is being downgraded to One-Disc.

19. Jeff Whitford

Jeff Whitford Screenwriter

Since we are talking about our own weirdness,here is mine. It actually goes along with the orignal idea. There are movies that I want in my DVD collection but hesitate to buy because ive seen them so many times that I dont think i'll watch them anytime soon. So there for they stay unbought. I.E. A League of Their Own SE. Along the same lines I periodically go thru my collection to see if there is stuff that I dont need to keep that I could trade away to get things I would watch. There are alot of titles in my collection that when im trying to find something to watch I say to myself ive seen that so many times im not going to watch that anytime soon but I can't trade them away. Speed,Die Hards & Lethal Weapons come to mind. Its probably time for Psychiatric help[​IMG]

20. AlejandroK

AlejandroK Extra

There are many titles that are on my list but I haven't bought, mostly because if I did there would be nothing left for Christmas gifts. Some examples from the list are:

Clerks X
    The Village
    White Heat
    Bottle Rocket
    Rushmore