AVA250 vs. HS200 for Sealed Tempest

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom-K, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Tom-K

Tom-K Stunt Coordinator

I am helping my buddy design and build (4) sealed Tempest Subs. I plan on wiring in a series/parallel config, and was wondering which amp would be better for this app. Is this additional $120 worth it for the HS200 (I'm guessing because of the eq/crossover) even though less power? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

50 watts will hardly be noticable so that really shouldnt factor into the decision too much. Now, the HS200 is a higher quality amplifier with a better crossover and an equalizer. If you are not going to use the equalizer and crossover then it really comes down to the sonic differences between the amplifiers.
    If this was a music only system (which it doesnt sound like it is) then I'd pick the HS200. If its home theater then I'd pick the AVA250 because its cheaper, and has a crossover defeat option.

Edited to show that the HS200 has a subsonic filter as well. - K.R.

3. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

I had a tough time picking these out when I was going to build my Tempest. Really the extra $100 goes to a much more elaborate crossover that has been built into the amp. Like Kyle said, if this was strictly a music only system, the HS200 would be more perferable.

Kyle - Since when has the AVA250 had the ability to defeat the internal xover? Is this an apdated version of the AVA250? The only way I could do that is by turning the xover all the way up.

4. Kyle Richardson

They added the crossover defeat option a couple months ago but I cant remember the exact date. A picture of it can be found here

5. SteveHood

SteveHood Agent

6. Kyle Richardson

Steve, yes, I stand corrected. I forgot the HS200 has the subsonic filter built in like the AVA250. My original post has been edited to reflect this.