AVA250 or AMP350 for Tempest

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnA, Jul 16, 2001.

1. JohnA

JohnA Stunt Coordinator

I have finalized the specs on my DIY tempest, a 202 litre (net) enclosure tuned to 17HZ, Thanks to alot of personalized help from Dan Wiggins at Adire and this messageboard.
    I had finally settled on the AVA250 to power the sub because of the excellent price/performance ratio.
    I recently recieved a suggestion to use the Stryke AMP350 in place of the Adire unit.
    Any comments or suggestions specific to these two amps is appreciated. I must point out that I am leaning towards the AVA250, if for nothing other than I feel Dan has really earned my business.
    However, I have gone too far not to consider all the options.
    Thanks
    -JohnA
    ------------------

2. Gregg Hart

Gregg Hart Stunt Coordinator

I am selling a brand new AMP350 in the For Sale section for $175.
    ------------------
    My Home Theater
    [Edited last by Gregg Hart on July 16, 2001 at 07:06 PM]

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

The AMP350 has a 6db bass boost at 30hz you don't want when you have a large enclosure, low tuning Tempest. They ask you to call to find out about having that boost modified or removed. The AVA250 doesn't have any bass boost which is what you want with your Tempest's design. The AVA250 also has a rumble filter that kicks in below 18hz that will make it more or less impossible for you to bottom your sub. The Stryke site says nothing about a rumble filter on the AMP350.
    In LspCAD a AVA250 has you just barely under the Tempest's Xmax while the AMP350 has you just over it. So the AMP350 will allow you to go slightly louder. I won't get an AMP350 though unless I had the bass boost removed.
    So I would find out how much it will add to the cost to have the boost removed. Then compare the prices and decide if the 1-1.5db gain in output the AMP350 would give you is worth the extra cost and not giving Dan your business after all the help he gave [​IMG]
    Plus with the AVA250 you only have to pay shipping once and it will all come in one package at the same time.

4. JohnA

JohnA Stunt Coordinator

Dustin
    Thanks for the excellent response. The guidance Dan has given me is worth more than the 1-1.5dB gain the AMP350 would provide. Even if I decided the 1-1.5dB gain was worth it, I would feel compelled to send Dan a check for his troubles. I strongly recomend Adire Audio to all the other newbie DIYers out there
    Once my enclosure is completed, I will place an order with Dan.
    -JohnA

5. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

The AVA250 will be perfect, and the 18Hz HP rumble filter will work nicely with your chosen tuning.
    quote: . The guidance Dan has given me is worth more than the 1-1.5dB gain the AMP350 would provide. [/quote]
    A noble sentiment, and one I shared as I ordered my AVA250. Now if only I needed something from SVS...
    [Edited last by Jack Gilvey on July 16, 2001 at 09:13 PM]

6. Dan_D

Dan_D Stunt Coordinator

heh my Tempest enclosure is complete and i just ordered my AVA250, tempest, and ports too. cant waittttttt till it all gets here!
    ------------------

7. Tyler

Tyler Stunt Coordinator

I would go with the AVA250 it's a perfect amp for the tempest ( well thats what i hear )

8. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

John, I have an AVA250 on my Tempest sonosub and it works great. I can't imagine needing more power and I do have a large space to fill. The circuit specified by Adire to the amp manufacturer is, as noted above by others, spot on.
    http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/My_page.html

9. JohnA

JohnA Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the replies. They are really appreciated.
    Dan_D, I have been following your posts, as your sub is very similar to what mine will be. I can't wait to see more pictures and hear about the results.
    Hank, great looking sub!
    Thanks again to all,
    -JohnA

10. Dan_D

Dan_D Stunt Coordinator

thanks man, its turning our pretty good so far. ill have my page updated soon enough
    http://thend.org/~dannydigital/tempesthowto.html
    ------------------