AVA250 cuts out?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip_G, Mar 1, 2001.

1. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Today's the first day I've been able to push my DIY sub *HARD* for any period of time (hour and a half or so) after probably an hour the amp started to cut out for some reason.
    Has anyone else noticed this? I'm guessing it's some sort of thermal protection since the heatsink was pretty hot, could it be something else?
    the amp has about a foot of airspace between it and the wall, should be enough air. Maybe I should mount a cooling fan on the fins [​IMG]

2. Keith Outhouse

Keith Outhouse Stunt Coordinator

I have the same amp connected in parallel to a Tempest driver (4 ohms). I have pushed it pretty hard with no trouble. Fins get pretty warm but not really hot. Perhaps you are trying to drive a load of less than 4 ohms? If it's a dual voice coil unit, try disconnecting one side just to see. A fan should help, but really should not be required.

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I'm running a similar setup, it's driving a shiva paralleled, so should be seeing 4 ohms.
    it made it through 3 songs at insane volume levels before over heating [​IMG]
    click it off, and back on, and put a room fan behind the heatsink and it's staying cool so far.
    in it's credit, it's pumping at loud volumes, with the gain all the way up, and the deck at +10Db