What's new

AV3s versus 281s? (1 Viewer)

SteveF

Grip
Has anyone compared these two speaker kits side by side? I'm interested in towers for music and HT. I am probably leaning towards sealed configurations as I will have a fairly low Q sealed subwoofer to round out the bass.

Are there any other kits in the 300-450$USD (parts excluding cabinet materials) range that you would suggest (i.e. GR's Paradox 3's)? I'm not averse to bookshelf speakers although that would add more effort for construction of stands.

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
I have compared them side by side and the 281's win hands down which they should considering the price difference. Dont let that statement lead you to believe the Adire AV3's arent a good speaker though! For $18ea plus the price of a sub I know of no other full range speaker that can compete with it.
Pics Link Removed including one on top of one of my vented Kit281's
Kyle Richardson
Acoustic Visions

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Dumb me, I just realized that
Hey, it's so damn close to Friday my brain's already shutting down for the weekend! I'll just reboot Saturday morning before I head into the woodshop! I don't need any more airborne router bits (and no, I'm not kidding)!

Brian

Kerry Hackney

Stunt Coordinator
Brian > Ahhhhhh... the old spinning blades of death routine. Remember, power tools are not industrial strength fingernail trimmers. But, it is amazing how well a 6" belt sander works...
And this guy from the FBI wanted to know why my finger prints are blank.... :D

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Kerry,

A nice big 1/2" shank, 45 degree chamfer bit no less! I just thank God it flew AWAY from me!

Reminds me of the time my dad was warning me about my first table saw. As he was explaining that you had to be careful because the scrap material could kick back on you a small block of wood hits him in the belly...

SteveF

Grip
The only guy I know of that has the GR AV3
Other than the various discussion forums, are there any magazines/sites that do DIY speaker reviews? I'm a bit nervous about investing time/money into speaker mains without hearing them or at least reading lots about them. The Adire 281's seem to have an advantage since I can find a fair amount of information from happy builders and I was very pleased with their support/parts during my subwoofer adventures.

I probably shouldn't worry too much. As much as I like my PSB 300's, I'm assuming a good quality kit will be a big step up.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Steve, the volume of sales for DIY kits is so miniscule in comparison to the available finished speakers, it would not be in the best interest of magazines to review DIY kits (plus the almighty advertising $$$ rears its head in the publication world). Even if a website were to review the kits, would you believe their findings? Skepticism would rule the day until a reliable track record was developed for such review sites.

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Actually, the Adire 281 was reviewed last month in AudioExpress (formerly Speaker Builder). The review can be seen on the Adire website I believe. It was quite positive. There was even a measurement segment by the grandaddy of speaker desigh Joe Di!

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks