AV3 speakers (GR RESEARCH)

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by AndyHangartner, Aug 26, 2003.

1. AndyHangartner

AndyHangartner Stunt Coordinator

I have the AV3's done and they sure are smooth. If someone can tell me how to put up pictures, I will do so.
    andy

2. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

Send them to me if you want, email fmstratk at coronium.com. Just replace "at" with @. I'll stick them up in this post for you.

Are these the "new" AV3s, or the older model?

3. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I have the older model with sonicaps but have heard the new drivers in an av2.

Smooth is a pretty good description. I find them to be very easy on the ears, great for long listening, and excellent at reproducing silky smooth vocals. It's a speaker that begins to fool the mind by producing an acoustic illusion. This is what separates them from a lot of commercial speakers and why I believe they are a step into the audiophile world, but at ~$300 a kit who's complaining. Retail prices of $1500+ in a wood veneer can be a bit pricey though. [​IMG]

I like the special attention to detail in the parts included in the kit, and that each driver comes with its own graph and are hand matched.

The only con I can think of is that it appeals to certain tastes and I know some people prefer a bright and forward type of speaker for piercing rock music and electric guitar. For the instance of loud rock, I'd probably look at a budget speaker kit like the Adire Kit281 or HE12.1.

I believe the AV-3s differ from the Kit281 in that they reproduce detail in the vocals and highs a bit more real, at the cost of having a slightly laid back presentation.

4. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

Cool, I'm actually looking at picking up a full theater AV3 kit (front towers, sealed center/rears).

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I have a pair of GR's A/V-2s for auditioning right now, and I have to completely agree with Chris's assessment of the way these speakers sound. These A/V-2s have the Sonicap upgrade, and compared to a friend's pair of A/V-1s I am borrowing, they seem a bit more laid back, though they have a moderate improvement in midrange detail compared to the 1s.

I have had these for just over a week now, and I am quite pleased with them. I wouldn't say they suffer with rock, but this is not where their strength lies. I noticed this yesterday when trying out some fun stuff - Tool, System of a Down, Korn. I had spent most of my time with Jazz, vocals, some techno (wow!), including a number of SACDs. The way I felt is that they are a more revealing speaker, in which case, you will be more likely to identify an average recording vs a very good one. Rock recordings are not always the most spectacular. More info when I have time to write a complete review.

6. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

I find my av1+'s equally good for rock and rap and country. I have heard B&W cdn series and I used to own paradigm reference 40's. I think they are a little laid back, but I prefer that a lot more than in your face highs. Some may like a little more forward highs but not this guy[​IMG]
    I also tried them with a couple of different amps and found the balance of the speaker change. I tried both a Rotel amp and a B&K amp. Believe it or not the Rotel was more foward and the B&K had a bit more detail. I switched them back and forth for about 2 hours to come to that conclusion so the difference were slight.

7. Mike Nep

Mike Nep Stunt Coordinator

8. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

I draw the line at polka[​IMG] I actually had to listen to it as a kid. My father is from Slovenia. Actually my fiancee is more into country than me. But I suppose if you can't beat'em, join them. Rap, what can I say I love bass[​IMG]

9. John Garcia

John
    If you saw my collection, you might say the same thing. I have Tool in my changer right along side Loreena McKennitt [​IMG]

I am not saying the laid back nature is a negative at all. I would not say these speakers have any serious deficiencies, and they deliver what I am listening for in a speaker for certain. In your face I don't mind, but I really like the smooth, flat response of the GRs. [​IMG]

10. AndyHangartner

AndyHangartner Stunt Coordinator

These are the new models with upgraded caps. They are finished in oak with only a sanding sealer, ready to stained or varnished.
    I am not sure that I consider them laid back,that is why I chose the word 'smooth'. Easy on the ears with both my Elite49txi and my AES 300b SET amp. They actually have fairly decent bass also. It was kind of funny, I had a friend over listening and he asked,"where's the speaker that the music is coming from the center between the towers?"
    Now that I have decided I really like them, I have already started on four AV3 towers and the center,with cap upgrades, finished in a dark cherry with the Stryke mini Thunder in the same finish.
    I am getting help to get these posted and later on will be the new ones.
    andy

11. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

If the A/V-3 were re-voiced to have a more forward treble, would it still be smooth and realistic sounding? Or is it impossible to have the best of both those worlds at this price?

12. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Michael,

We took a pair of A/V-2's to a local HT meet where the host had a pair of Paridigm Studio 100's. We were all really surprised at how similar the two speakers sounded. So similar, in fact, that in blind tests the 100 owner was only able to pick out his speakers due to their extended bass response. The sound of the tweeters between the two designs was very similar with the 100's metal tweet being just slightly crisper.

I have not heard the new A/V-3 yet but I would imagine it to sound very similar.

13. John Garcia

John

14. george king

george king Supporting Actor

I have the AV-1s with the Caps upgrade and Blackhole 5. The treble is not what I call forward (mated with a Rotel 1075 amp).

Like several others have said, the speaker is very smooth, and very listenable. It seems to do everything very well with no real problems. The AV-1s at least (never heard the AV-3s) are a very good all round speaker. I play a lot of jazz and "classic" rock, and my wife likes funk and motown, and the speaker does great for all of it.

Hope this helps.

15. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

16. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Wow they look narrower than the old style and the MTM arrangement seems more condensed like in the AV-2.

Would probably be easier to lug a pair of these around too.

Not that I'd build another pair of AV-3s, I'm saving up for a pair of Linkwitz Orions. [​IMG] (All in due time)

17. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Chris,

The new A/V-3's are the same width as the A/V-1's and A/V-2's (8") and have the same driver arrangement as the A/V-2's. Believe me, they still aren't that light of a speaker. Lighter than the original A/V-3's but not by a whole lot.

18. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

No, I mean more forward than that... I'm happy with the tone of the Kit281s, which is frighteningly similar to that of the Klipsch RB-5s and you know what people think of that speaker. I feel like the sound isn't really as realistic with a warmer tone... anyone had a friend play a drum solo for you? (Both speakers have neutral unsmoothed on-axis response... then again so do the softer sounding GR speakers.) So many people say those speakers are fatiguing, and I have a hunch it's because of speaker and electronics distortion, room effects or something and not inherent just in the stronger upper frequencies. I bet some more expensive speakers with lower distortion have this kind of tone, that aren't fatiguing. I was wondering if GR's drivers had the capability to sound more "bright" while keeping the other qualities that make them so popular.

19. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

Chris, check your e-mail for the enclosure info.

20. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer