AV12's vs. AV15's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JimRHIT, Feb 18, 2003.

1. JimRHIT

JimRHIT Stunt Coordinator

How much of a difference in sound quality and loudness would everyone here expect between 4 AV12's in 1.6ft^3 each vs. 4 AV15's in ~3.2 ft^3 each. Assuming I will have a nice 400W per driver in each situation?

What size box for each 15 should about match the 1.6 ft^3 12er?

Please let me know what you think. I am trying to get an idea of how the sound quality will compare, and while I know I have enough now...I will be moving to a very open room next year...so I am future proofing.

Thanks

Jim

2. Joel X

Joel X Stunt Coordinator

If you have the space for the larger enclosure for the 15's go for them you will be the better for it. Larger diaphragms are more efficient and will be the better choice if you have room.

3. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

4. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

See? This is the curse of DIY! Jimbo, the glue isn't even dry on your current project yet. [​IMG]

5. JimRHIT

JimRHIT Stunt Coordinator

I know Jack, I know ... but this is soo addictive. I do believe I have the curse...and my roomate reminds me daily, but there is nothing comparable to just going out to the shop for a few hours for a break from reality to get something done...and then to be able to sit down, pop in your favorite CD and just be proud of your work [​IMG]

I still don't know what I am going to do about the subs, I don't know if the extra space is worth it...but my next room looks to be about 3500 ft^3 with only two walls...so...give me some guidance guys[​IMG]

jim

here are some functional pics of the experimental box for the av12s ... http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~walterjj...and%20Cars.htm