What's new

AV123 MFW-15 120lb Beast of a subwoofer! (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I was just looking at my Home Theater buyers guide magazine in the subwoofer section and came across this new sub being offered by av123. Look at the specs on this beast.
15 inch driver.
350 Watt amp
Plays to 18hz
Dimensions (HxWxD inches) 24x15x24
pounds 120
Real wood veneer.
And now for the truly amazing part. $599!
I thought that was a misprint because it was listed under another one of their subs that went for $1999 so I thought they were missing a 1. I thought it would be $1599, that sounded right for what I was looking at.
I called av123 and talked to them. Nope, $599 is the correct price. And the kicker is, buy anything from their x-series lineup and get $100 off the purchase of the sub. So you can have that kind of power at $499! That has to be one of the best budget subs on the market.

The guy told me that it is not going to be available till 1st or 2nd quarter though.

I also saw that you can buy two of them for $999! I for one might hold off on buying a new sub till then just to see what this thing is capable of. But from the sounds and looks of it, it looks to be one serious performer. Also knowing that av123 offers some stellar products, I am sure this new sub will be just as good.

Here is a link to the thread about it. Go to page two to see what it looks like.

http://av123forum.com/showthread.php...5&pagenumber=1

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
For $649 you could purchase an SVS 16-46 PCi, which goes as low as 16 Hz.

12" driver
320 watt RMS BASH amplifier
16 Hz extension quasi-anechoic
+/- 3 dB 16 Hz-100 Hz
46" tall, 16" in diameter

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I use a 350w amp with my 15" and it is tuned to 17hz... It is a LOT bigger than that though :D

Parts Express just released a new budget 15" kit for $269. Though it is only good to 25Hz, I'm sure it will have good output.

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton

Hi Jeff,

Let's just say I have some inside information about this product. :rolleyes

I do think the 120 lbs detail might be a little generous, where that might be closer to the shipping weight. Since the information for a buyer's guide is collected months in advance of publication, I suspect there were some mixing of initial and revised product details. The dimensions of the box itself is 18.125" wide, 23.25" tall, and 22" deep. You can then add to this the 0.75" tall, chamfered footer. February is when I'm hoping that the MFW-15 should start shipping, but of course there are always variables at play.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Mark,

Thanks for the updated info. I for one am very excited to see what this sub can do. Please keep us posted. The $500-$600 subwoofer class is becoming extremely competitive.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Knowing what it costs to build a sub, this seems quite attractive for a ready 15" 18hz tuned out of the box. Nice work Mark!

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton

Thanks Steve,

It is impressive what some larger scale production and quality suppliers and factories can do with the right input/direction. While the there are various past examples of parts of the various designs I'm working on for myself and AV123, I do think the combination of form, aesthetic, quantitative and subjective characteristics are unique to justify themselves, especially for the asking prices. We'll see soon enough how they are received.

As I'm guessing you can appreciate, tuning a significant size port in a box this size to 19Hz is not necessarily easy. While I very much enjoy the challenge, as any designer will tell you, the value/budget designs tend to take the most work, as there is little room for fluff. Whie the components aren't going to win any beauty contests, I'm very pleased to say that even I would be content in setting up a pair of these in most rooms, where my expectations tend to be a bit beyond what will impress most listeners. :rolleyes

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

Yes it is, extremely nice work. That is why I started this thread. I have done research on about 25 different subs and have printed out all specs and info. Even though specs on this sub are yet to be finalized, it looks to be the cream of the crop out of all $600 or below subs. And I plan on buying two of them. That is if I can wait until Feb/Mar. There are two other below $600 subs out there that have really caught my attention.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
When it's all said and done, I cant imagine this not doing very well Mark. I know that's not what it's all about, but it really does seem to have a lot going for it in the ever popular $600 price range... my gut and understanding tell me it's a winner.:emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

I had the 10 inch version of that Velodyne. I really like it.

And I agree. I think that av123 has a winner on their hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks