What's new

AV12 problem (1 Viewer)

David_Merrow

Stunt Coordinator
Hello, I was just wondering if anybody has had any problems with their Stryke AV12?

The reason I ask is because my brother got one for his truck and the voice coil was broke. He sent that one back and got the new one yesterday and the voice coil is broke in that one. It is installed in a sealed 1.5cf box with a 600 watt amp.

David

Jake K

Stunt Coordinator
How do you know it was broke? What was happening?
My AV15 is just fine.

David_Merrow

Stunt Coordinator
He had someone look at it because it was making a loud noise.

That is all I know about it though because he is in NC and I am in MI.

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Maybe he has a leaky box or air gap. I have two av12's each sealed. The only thing I had to do was tighten the binding posts cause they rattled:D I use banana plugs.

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
i have a av15 in a 2 cube selaled box with 50%stuff and 1000 wats it runs like a dream. but i dont bump it that loud. it is also better than the 2 12 i had befor kicker xpl

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I run an AV-12 in a 1 Cube Sealed Enclosure with 50% Poly
Fill and 500 Watts RMS. Absolutely no problems...Other than
everything in the house rattling :)

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Hi David,

I'm waiting to hear back from TC on your brother's AV12. The first one obviously had something wrong with it. It almost sounded like the VC had come unwound and wires were rattling around inside. The second one he is claiming to have the same problem. We need to look into this because there have been very few problems with AV woofers. We need to determine what is different about his situation that could have caused this.

I wanted to hear back from TC and determine what they say before making a decision on what to do with the second woofer. There are several possibilities of what may have happened. His were the only two I can think of that were sent by USPS. Possibly they are doing something to the packages, causing problems. Another possibility is either over/under powering. Overpowering is usually not as dangerous as underpowering and clipping the amplifier. It could also just be coincidence that 2 woofers were both bad the he received, but I did check the second before sending it and it was in perfect condition when it left here.

TC was supposed to pull the first woofer apart friday and get back to me on what happened. They can tell if the driver was damaged to abuse, clipping the amp, etc, or if it was due to a build defect. I have not yet heard back from them, but will contact your brother and also send you an email as soon as I hear something.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks