AV1+ or Custom Built

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AlexKunec, Apr 26, 2002.

1. AlexKunec

AlexKunec Stunt Coordinator

Im considering buying the AV1+s from gr-research. I added up all the costs of the drivers, and it adds up to $138. They are asking for $300 but it includes crossovers, plans, and ports.

Wouldn't it be a better idea to just buy the drivers and build my own crossovers?

How would my custom built crossovers compare to theirs?

2. Greg Risley

Greg Risley Second Unit

After meeting Danny of GR, and having a good listen to the AV1+, I would say you get more than your moneys worth from Danny. The guy is down right crazy about putting the best stuff in the crossovers and the proof is in the pudding. I am just waiting for the wife to give me my allowance so I can buy a 3 pair of these bad boys.

Greg

3. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Alex,

Also keep in mind that Danny is in business to make money. Assuming you can get the values of the components in the crossover there's nothing to stop you from sourcing them out yourself. But I doubt you'll be able to get all the exact same parts, which aren't cheap by any means. The inductors themselves are nearly as expensive as the drivers.

For the $300 that Danny charges for the AV-1+ kits is a steal in my book. I haven't built mine yet but if they are as good as my AV-1's you'll be hard pressed to beat them with anything else I've seen in their respective price ranges from a kit.

Brian

4. MikeAcc

MikeAcc Agent

The $300 also includes the xover plans, not sure if you can purchase them seperatly, if not, then I guess you would be on your own working the xover out.

Danny's xover parts are top notch in quality.

Like Brian stated, he does have to make some profit, although it does not seem like he makes too much based on the prices.