AV1 Enclosures almost done!! Last minute questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew Lin, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Andrew Lin

Andrew Lin Extra

After many weeks of work, I am finishing my cabinets. I just had some last minute questions. I'm on my fourth coat of a wipe on polyurathane (gloss). However, I want to get a more high gloss finish like on Brian Bunge's most recent cabinets. Do I just need to finish it with steel wool? Or do I need to use a different finish material and can I still use it?

Also, what did you guys use on the bottom of the speakers so that they won't slide or get scratched on the surface that they are placed on. I was thinking about rubber feet or something of that sort. Let me know!

2. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Hi Andrew,

I'll tell you what I know about finishes and maybe it will help. First I hope you used a gloss poly because semi-gloss and matt finish poly have small particles within the poly that physically defract the light. These finishes can't be brought to a gloss. If you used a gloss finish then I'd rub it out with paste wax and 0000 steel wool. Then wipe it clean. Then take more paste wax and buff it with a car buffer, this will bring the semi-gloss finish you just created to a nice flat gloss. Of course you are limited in flattness to how flat the wood is underneath. If you are trying to get rid of grain pockets you will need to continue wiping coats on until they are filled.

Darren

3. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Andrew,

All of my cabinets are finished with a satin polyurethane. What you are seeing is simply the flash reflecting off of the cabinets.

Brian