What's new

AV1+ comparison with Klipsch RP3's (1 Viewer)

bruin

Second Unit
Frank C, this is for your request as well as for those who want to read another positive take on the AV1+s.

Some background info: I mostly listened to Dave Matthews, Michael Jackson, John Mayer, Collective Soul, Moulin Rouge and some techno cds that's I love (ATB, Paul Van Dyk)when I compared The RP3's and AV1+s.

To get to the point! The AV1+s excel in smoothness, accuracy, soundstage,and balance. I've owned the Polk Rt25is, Paradigm 9se's, BOSE 201's and 301s series IV's(oh yeah! those were the days, like the series even matters hehe)...these are mostly commercial speakers then I got the Klipsch RP3's then Near 10M II's. When I bought the Klipsch RP3's I noticed much improvement in dynamics (probably because they can play deeper than bookshelves I've previously owned). I also liked the Klipschs open sound. Basically I loved the RP3's...good vocals and better than previous speakers in many ways (cleaner, high efficiency and clearer). When I got the NEAR's I loved the highs! Oh man they were awesome. However they lacked the mids...a bit laid back in that area and can't be played loud enough without sounding harsh.

Ok so I thought about DIY and opted with the AV1+'s. When I first heard them they were harsh because they haven't been broken in. Now about 2 weeks later...man o man. Do any of you like the Moulin Rouge soundtrack?

Play track 2 loud and the AV1+s sing!!! Go maya, go christina...when they scream they don't sound harsh. With the Klipsch's I've had to turn them down a bit because my ears feel weak. With the AV1+s however, I can enjoy the loudness with ease (I know that whole analysis is subjective but that's how I felt about the harshness). I can't stress this section enough. The louder you play, the more you love to listen to the music. The more instruments and singers meshed in one track (basically most of the tracks), things just don't seem meshed anymore. You can hear the different singers and the weird noises they make (screams, grunts, etc.)

At low and high volumes, the AV1+s are cleaner. Track 3 with Nicole...the very beginning where you hear crackling...with the AV1+'s the crackling is much clearer and seems like the speakers themselves are crackling.

At loud volumes when no source is played, the RP3's have a hissing sound, the AV1's have no such hissing. This is annoying when watching a quiet passage in say, drama movies. The AV1+'s are quiet.

Soundstage...I liked the RP3's at first because they had good vocals but now the AV1's make things sound more refined. By that I mean that they are laid back enough and don't create that in your face type effect. The RP3's now seem forward sounding to me. The AV1+s make the artists seem to be in a plane right where the speakers are...no more no less. So when listening at loud volumes, the sound isn't in your face. I appreciate the AV1+s now because of this effect.

John Mayer CD: If you love that guitar sound...you'll love it more! Enough said. Like a reviewer of the AV1+s stated before, you can hear subtleties that you couldn't notice before.

I dont want to keep ranting here but in summary: The AV1+s are cuts above the RP3's (paid $700 ubid). I can listen to tracks longer and louder. Everything sounds much better.

Downsides to the AV1+s? You need a sub! Well who doesn't have one anyways? My current setup only allows a 100hz xover. In my tests, sub was crossed at 100hz with both pairs.

If anyone has any doubts about the AV1+'s, look to borrowing them from someone for a week. You won't return them! jk, they are really great. I paid about $700 for 3 AV+'s (parts and unfinished cabs). I did the finishing and x-over assembly: both were a lot of fun and a learning experience.

I'm not an audiophile but I love good sound. You don't have to be an audiophile to hear the differences in speakers. I'm not the only one who loves the AV1+s. Thanks to everyone who wrote about the them and offered their perspectives. Thanks to Danny Richie and Danny Wesnor for their help in getting the whole kit together.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
How would you say the AV1+'s compare to the Paradigm 9SEs you had? I currently have 5SE mk3 mains, 3 SE mk3 center and surrounds, and Mini mk3 back surrounds. I'm interested in building a AV1+ main / AV1 surround system this summer. Any comparison would be helpful.

Thanks,

Stephen

Dan Wesnor

Second Unit
"I can listen to tracks longer and louder."

You find that most commercial speakers, especially under $1,000/pr., push the treble a little bit as a "get the customer's attention" ploy. (Another Bose invention that he doesn't brag about in the ads.) It sounds exciting for 5 minutes or so, but starts to get annoying after that. Very few DIY speakers do this.

And don't call me Danny!

bruin

Second Unit
Dan! Sorry about that! hehe

Stephen:

The 9se's that I had were slapped with Vifa's XT25 without adjusting the x-over in any sort of way. I just put them in which isn't a great idea. I lived with the setup for about 3 months. I don't think I can make an accurate comparison because of this. Good things about the 9se's was the bass and clarity compared to the other bookshelves I mentioned. However now that I've heard the AV1+s, the 9se's are in the same league as the RP3's in terms of the midrange and overall quality imho... There's just much more in the AV1+s.

I know my comparison doesn't really help. Try posting a thread and ask if AV1+s are available to be auditioned. Maybe if enough people respond, someone could create a site that documents not just AV1+ kits are available but every kit! That would be cool! Just like audioenvy.com but for DIY

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Congratulations Bruin! I just have one question... Do you think the harshness in the Klipsches came from some sort of distortion, or just because there was too much treble?

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Scott,

Thanks for the review, I'm glad you like them.

I think I'm pretty much set on a DIY HT and I think GR Research might be it.

How would you compare the dynamics of the two?

bruin

Second Unit
Who is Scott? :) I know my username is bruin. I should have used James (my name) when I registered.

Regarding the distortion vs treble on the RP3's...I think it's distortion. I say distortion for one thing because the mids, highs, and lows sound unclear at loud volumes (ok at lower levels but the AV1+s are clear when played loud or soft). There is nothing wrong with the Klipsch's treble, it's just not clear enough compared to the AV1+s. There's that hissing too at loud volumes with teh RP3's. The AV1+'s have great treble, very open and quiet. It's not a question of whether the Klipsch's have more treble...its how it's delivered. The AV1+s deliver that balance with clarity.

I think great resolution (can be used interchangeably with dynamics) would be the right word(s) to describe the AV1+s. It's a combination of everything in its delivery of the way recordings are supposed to sound. Dynamics/resolution are tied to the clarity at loud volumes when listening to say a fast/loud Moulin Rouge track with the AV1+s.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter

Sorry about that James...there's someone on the Klipsch forum with a very similar user name and I thought you were the same person.

Frank

Todd Nichols

Auditioning
Bruin,
What options did you use with the AV1+'s?

Sonicaps or Blackhole 5?

I am looking to build these right now. Thanks

Todd

bruin

Second Unit
I got the Sonicap upgrade for all three speakers but not the blackhole 5 upgrade. I just bought about 4 sheets of the automotive dampening sheets from PE and used those (they were cheaper).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks