av receivers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ramon A, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Ramon A

Ramon A Agent

OK I'm looking to up grade receivers.
    every one seems to like 7.1 but almost all the dvd's i have rented, and this is many. most only have 5.1 sound as an audio option.
    so my question is, is it worth the additional cost for an occasional thx format dvd, or should I just wire for 7.1 and wait till more dvd's come in a 7.1 format to upgrade to 7.1 receiver.

2. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Moving to a 7-channel AVR is, in my opinion, not enough of a reason to upgrade from your current AVR if you are happy with the feature set you now have. There is no discrete 7.1 format, as you know, although there are certainly several processing modes that can produce a 7-channel signal. For the typical HT room, a 5.1 setup is still a great rig.

As far as waiting for a discrete 7.1 format, you'd be waiting for something that may never happen. If you have the itch to upgrade, consider other options (better speakers, better DVD transport, better display, room treatments, etc).

3. Ramon A

Ramon A Agent

Thanks thats what I thought. I have new high end klipsch matched fronts,center,and surrounds but I'm using a cheap receiver because my h/k burnt up. so I believe I will just up grade to a nice 5.1 system.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You don't need a THX receiver to watch THX DVDs. It's not a format, it is a specification, and it means different things for a DVD's mastering vs a receiver's amplification capabilities and processing functions.

5. Phil_M

Phil_M Extra

I'm also looking for a 5.1 receiver. Do they make them anymore? Price range under 1k.

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

They are probably getting few and far between, but keep in mind, if you're buying a 1K receiver, I would get the best you can, there are a lot of nice units at that price range, and they likely all will have 6.1 or 7.1 capability. You can use it just fine with a 5.1, or even less than that, system. And it provides a very good upgrade path, you only have to add speakers, not replace the entire receiver.

I too second the notion that upgrading to a similar-quality level of receiver for just 6.1 or 7.1 is not that much worth it. If, however, it is part of a jump to a higher-end unit, certainly go for it. And of course this depends on what kind of setup you have. If you have cheesy speakers, that would probably be a better place to upgrade first. Its a hard question to answer with a lot of variables.

7. Holger

Holger Stunt Coordinator

ramon,

like angelo mentioned above, there is currently no discrete 7.1 format on dvd and probably never will.

however, it's possible nevertheless to generate a believable 7.1 experience. its just a matter of decoding process.

you wrote *every one seems to like 7.1*. well here is the problem: since 7.1 decoding is relative new to the market, i doubt that a lot people heard it yet. of course they think they have, but all what the people usually were listen to, was 6.1 (dolby ex/dts es) with two backsurround speakers. though this is a 7.1 SPEAKER setup, but on the other hand nothing more then a 6.1 DECODING schematic with two speakers (back surrounds) running exact the same mono signal. i have 7.1 experience through lexicon processors since 1996 with their own developed technic known as *logic7*. this is not to confuse with the logic7 build in harman kardon receivers, which only presents a crippled version of the lexicons.

to the mass market, 7.1 decoding (out of 2, 5.1 and 6.1 sources) ist relative new and became available about a half year ago with the introducing of dolbys new format called DOLBY PRO LOGIC IIx. dpl IIx presents a true breaktrough for (mass market) home theater in my opinion. other then lots of gimmicks and useless features we all have seen the last years coming to the ht market, this new format is a real deal. to me it was a shock (in positive manner) how close dpl IIx comes in a ~700 $ receiver (yamaha rx-v1400) compared to logic7 in a ~6000 $ pre amp/processor (lexicon mc-8). believe me, the accession of spatialism, surround presence and directional surround effects over six possible axis is tremendous.

however, if one cannot afford the space which is required behind the listening possition, then 7.1 is NOT the way to go. in my opinon at least 1 meter - better 1,5 - should be there to place the rear surrounds properly. if your couch is placed right to the backwall, then forget 7.1 and stay with 5.1 surround. remember: a proper and careful placed 5.1 system will always outperform a bad *those two backspeakers gotta be there for all cost* 7.1 speaker system. also remeber: the number of speakers and/or amps tell you NOTHING about the decoding process, so be careful what you buy, if you go shopping for something new.

regards, holger