AV receivers rated to handle 4 as well as 8 ohms? Impedence Matching box?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve & Karen, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Steve & Karen

Steve & Karen Stunt Coordinator

I plan to get Def Tech PowerMonitor speakers, rated 4-8 ohms, and have been warned of possible problem with receiver rated at 8 ohms (HK AVR 320) going into safety shut-off mode with these speakers. Apparently potential problem also occurs with classic audiophile speakers rated at 4 or 6 ohms. Apparently being called "high voltage" does NOT eliminate the possibility of this problem Apparently can be solved by buying additional Impedance Matching Box...

1. is this a real world problem?

2. are any AV Receivers < 1,000 rated for 4-8 ohms, not just 8 ohms?

3. Is buying impedance matching box a real solution, without sacrificing sound quality or damaging receiver &/or speakers?

-Steve

2. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Just my opinion and only mine. Get 8 ohm speakers. Most large speaker manufacturers make 4, 8, 16 versions of their raw speakers. I use to order 16 ohm speakers all the time to run in parallel. The DA5ES has a 4/8 ohm switch. JVC does also. Not sure about Onkyo.

3. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Steve, the PM900 has a built-in amplifier which assists in driving the low frequencies of the loudspeaker. You should not have a problem running them with a receiver. Just try to buy the "best" receiver that you can afford. I strongly recommend Yamaha with Def Tech.

4. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

Yamaha's have a 4/8 ohm switch. I'm currently driving a pair of Klipsch KG-4's that are 4 ohms with no problems. However, you should know that some people believe that an ohm switch on a receiver is a bad thing. Opinions vary.
    See what works best in your situation. As you might have guessed already I recommend Yamaha, especially the upper models (RX-V3000, RX-V3200, RX-V1 and RX-Z1). The amps are better and are more capable of driving lower ohm speakers. Yeah those receivers are expensive. The 3000 is being discontinued so it can be had for $1000 at Tweeter, at least until they run out of them.
    Don't you just love when people spend your money for you [​IMG]
    >>2. are any AV Receivers < 1,000 rated for 4-8 ohms, not just 8 ohms?

5. Steve & Karen

Steve & Karen Stunt Coordinator

thanks... this entire thread is leading me back to look at the Paradigm Studio 40 (my problem is not able to have separate subwoofer; sigh).

-Steve:b

6. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Why would you be led back to the Studio 40's, especially since you are not using an external sub? Some people prefer the Paradigms for music, and others prefer the Def Techs for music, regardless of whether an external sub is used or not and regardless of whether the DT's have a built-in powered woofer or not. The PM900's should be wonderfully musical.