What's new

AV Receiver Recommendation (1 Viewer)

dFraleyl

Auditioning
Real Name
David Fraley
I am planning on upgrading my HT this winter. Last year I remodled the room and bought new furniture, this year its the electronics. The room is approximatley 13 (deep) x 17 (wide) with a really wide sectional couch across the back. The floor is tile with a large floor rug on it and the walls are drywall. The current AV equipment is approximately 15 years old excepting the TV which is about 8.

My current plan is to use the following:

* Panasonic TC-P65VT25 65-inch 3D Ready 1080p VIERA Plasma HDTV

* either the

- Onkyo TX-NR5008 9.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver

or

- Onkyo TX-NR3008 9.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver

or

- Onkyo TX-NR5007 9.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver

* Polk Audio RTI A9 Floorstanding Speaker

* Polk Audio CSI A6 Center Channel Speaker

* either the

- Polk Audio PSW505 12-Inch Powered Subwoofer

or

- Polk Audio DSW PRO 600 12-Inch Powered Subwoofer

* A Gaming PC as the Blue-Ray player (connected to the internet)

My questions are:

* Are the speakers well matched to the potential receivers (I would perfer to not use an amplifer)?

* Should I down grade to the RTI A7 speakers with the receivers list above?

* Does anybody have experience with the 5007? I hear there are lots of problems with it (e.g., clicks, freezing up, SW glitches, etc.)

* Any suggestion on the subwoofer?

Any other suggestions? I am always looking for bank for the buck.

Thanks,

Dave

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by dFraleyl
My questions are:

* Are the speakers well matched to the potential receivers (I would perfer to not use an amplifer)?

* Should I down grade to the RTI A7 speakers with the receivers list above?

* Does anybody have experience with the 5007? I hear there are lots of problems with it (e.g., clicks, freezing up, SW glitches, etc.)

* Any suggestion on the subwoofer?
* You only have to make sure that the receiver can drive the impedance of the speakers. Thankfully, most speakers are 8 ohm which will work with all receivers. Better yet, do you like the sound of the speakers. What other speakers have you auditioned?

* Do you like the sound of the RTI A7's better?

* No experience

* Budget? Room size? Goals? Constraints? I do notice that you have Polk subs listed above? Why? For the price of the Polk Pro, you could get much better subs from internet direct sellers. Much, much better.

dFraleyl

Auditioning
Real Name
David Fraley
Hi Robert,

Thanks for the quick response. Honestly, my experience level is low and my goal is to build a HT of great quality for $8K to $10K, of which the TV is about half. From my research $4K to $6K should be sufficient for the speakers and receiver. FYI, I already have 5.2 wiring in the walls.

I have heard the RTI A7s once and like them, however I have not (and probably will not) audition multiple speakers sets. No matter which way I go the system will be significantly better. As I previously mentioned my receiver is about 15 years old and its an early generation 5.1 surround system so the new will be better.

Regarding the A7 speakers and receiver, I have read that the A7s need a lot of power. So while ohm should not be an issue, I am worried that the receivers mentioned above will have insufficient power to extract the best of the speakers.

If you can suggest a different subwoofer please do so. Honestly I am leaning towards the PSW505 as its half the price of the Polk Pro. On issue there is the Polk Pro can be bought with the wood tone exterior while the PSW505 is black (minor issue).

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Any modern receiver can drive those Polks (either model) into levels that can damage your hearing. That is why wattage ratings on both receivers and speakers are the last thing you want to look at.

Our first recommendation for subs is always SVS because the founders met on this forum. Also check out Elemental Designs, Epik Subwoofers, Hsu Resarch and a new one - Lava Subs. If you want custom subs with a wood veneer, then AE Speakers can help out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks