1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

AV-Receiver Problem

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by khrafu, Jan 28, 2017.

1. khrafu

khrafu Auditioning

Rafi
    Hi, I bought a AV receiver(Pioneer VSX-323-k) with 5.1 sound system. I have connected the speakers. I don't have any televison and I want to use it with my laptop and monitor. I'm connecting my laptop with HDMI cable and the monitor with audio cable. But for some reason I'm not getting sound from my surrounding speakers and Sub-woofer. But I'm getting sound only from my front speakers. But when I'm trying to test the speakers with my laptop's software or also with the setting from AV-receiver test setting, I'm getting the sound from every single speaker. Can anyone help me what could be possible reason that I'm having the problem?
    Thanks in Advance.

2. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    >> I'm connecting my laptop with HDMI cable and the monitor with audio cable.
    What kind of an audio cable are you using? (And I'm assuming you meant that the other way around.)

When you, "test the speakers with my laptop's software", how do you have the Pioneer connected to the latop?

3. khrafu

khrafu Auditioning

Rafi
    Hi, when I'm trying to check with laptop software I was connecting it with HDMI cable as my receiver support HDMI cable. And with monitor I'm using 2 in 1 cable. I attached the picture. I also tried the audio cable with laptop but it supports like a headphone that I couldn't check.[​IMG]

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Your post doesn’t really give us much information. Are you trying to use your laptop as a source, or to view video from components (such as a blu ray player) connected to the Pioneer?

When you say “monitor” in conjunction with a computer, most people equate that with a screen to view video from the computer. It would be a strange monitor that used the cables you show for any reason.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. khrafu

khrafu Auditioning

Rafi
    Hi, thanks for reply. I'm Sorry that it was a little confusing. Actually, I have a laptop connected with my monitor with HDMI cable. My monitor also has a Google Chromecast connected. And have connected my monitor's Audio output with the jack to my Av receiver's input. But I got sound from 2 front speakers only(playing with laptop or Chromecast). Then I connected the Audio cable to my laptop with my receiver directly but I saw my PC is taking it like a 2 ear headphone. Then, as my receiver has a HDMI input channel so I connected it directly to my PC with HDMI cable. But again I got sound only from the front speakers (2 channel). Then I tried the "Test channel pattern" from my driver or PC's software I got sound from every single sound bar. I tried the channel test pattern directly from my receiver setting, and I got sound from all the Speakers. But only when I play something it doesn't work. I think you're clear now. Just let me know any question you have to assist me. Thank you.

6. Message #6 of 21 Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Still not getting it, and you didn’t answer any of my questions. I’ve never heard of a computer monitor with an audio output. And I’m not sure why you have a system with both a laptop and a PC.

Regardless, if only get sound from your two front speakers and no surround sound, it can only be one thing: it’s a signal source issue. You must have a source sending a 5.1 signal to the Pioneer. Assuming that one of the computers is your source, you need to address the problem there. After that, you will need a digital connection (HDMI) from the computer to the Pioneer. An analog cable like the one shown above will get you only two-channel stereo.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

7. khrafu

khrafu Auditioning

Rafi
    Hi,
    What can I say! I, myself is really confuse about this thing as I'm totally new in this subjects. I attached few images may be that can clear the issue. Please let me know if you need any more information. I would appreciate and love to...

Attached Files:

8. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    The cable you show in post #3 is a stereo cable, it only carries two channels. It seems like you're using that to take sound from your monitor to the receiver, and that will only ever get you two channels.

If your PC/laptop has an optical connection, that's what you want to use to go to the receiver. If you could take pictures of your PC/laptop ports that would help.

9. khrafu

khrafu Auditioning

Rafi
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Message #10 of 21 Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    khrafu

khrafu Auditioning

Rafi
    Laptop I'm using is : lenovo yoga 12.5 2nd gen

Monitor I'm using is : Samsung C24F396F

I think this will help :)

11. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    As I noted above, if you’re not getting surround sound to all the speakers, it’s because your signal source – which I guess is the computer? – is not sending a 5.1 bitstream signal to the Pioneer. The Pioneer will have an indicator on the front panel that shows if it’s getting a 5.1 signal or two-channel (stereo) signal. If the 5.1 indicator does not light while your program is playing on the computer, then you will not get surround sound. The only way to get 5.1 is from a digital connection between the computer and Pioneer – coax, optical or HDMI. If the proper connection is in place and you still are not getting 5.1, then the issue is with your computer.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

12. ArmSC

ArmSC Supporting Actor

Tony
    1. Laptop to the AVR via HDMI.
    2. Chromecast to AVR via HDMI.
    3. Computer to AVR via HDMI.
    4. AVR to monitor via HDMI out on the AVR.
    Pick your source on the AVR watch it on the monitor. Sound will come out the speakers.

khrafu likes this.
  13. khrafu

khrafu Auditioning

Rafi
    I'm really confuse. About indicator: when I plug with HDMI I got indicator. But although I'm not getting sound from all speakers. But with HDMI(indicator on) when I test from settings of my computer, I got sound. But when I play something (music, video) I'm only getting sound from 2 speakers.

Let's forget about all things. You have watched all the pictures and cables. Now I need to connect the Hi-fi system with my PC and monitor. Which cable I need? Do I have the right one? Which driver or software I need on my PC?

14. ArmSC

ArmSC Supporting Actor

Tony
    See previous post. HDMI is your friend...HDMI in HDMI out. You need two HDMI cables. One from the laptop to the AVR and one from the AVR to the monitor.

khrafu and PhilAR like this.
  15. Message #15 of 21 Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    khrafu

khrafu Auditioning

Rafi
    I have two more basic questions..
    What happen when I connect different speaker with different cable from receiver?
    I have a 5.1 receiver. What happen when I don't connect a Sub Woofer?

16. DonKernz

DonKernz Auditioning

Don
    Is English your second language and there is a translation problem?

17. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

There's nicer ways to let someone know that you didn't understand their question.

It's fine if you do not connect a subwoofer to your system.

But I'm unsure what you're asking with your first question. Are you asking if you can use different speakers than those you already have? Or, are you asking can you, for example, hook up your left front speaker to your right surround speaker out?

18. khrafu

khrafu Auditioning

Rafi
    With due respect, unfortunately no, English isn't my second language or even first language :) Sorry if you misunderstood :)

19. khrafu

khrafu Auditioning

Rafi
    Thanks for reply. I was asking
    Thanks for reply. I was asking different cable with different speaker. Like, Surrounding Right with one, and Surrounding left with another.

20. khrafu

khrafu Auditioning

Rafi
    By the way, thanks a lot guys. I got the solution!!! Thanks for your help and appreciate this forum :)