AV Receiver offering bi-amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Joe Thompson, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Joe Thompson

Joe Thompson Stunt Coordinator

Why doesn't any manufacturer offer switching capabilities for bi-amp.....if you have 7 amps & are using only 5 for surround...wouldn't it be great if you could use the other 2 to be able to bi-amp your main speakers for 2-channel listening.....Does anyone think this should be an option or am I just crazy?

Thanks....
    Joe

2. Keiwana

Keiwana Stunt Coordinator

The Pioneer 45tx does givs this option. I am almost sure the new 55tx and 53tx will offer the same feature.

3. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

I think the mentality [of manufacturers] is that if you are picky about your sound enough that you will have totally seperate componants and not even consider owning a receiver.

For your theory to work, you would have to have a switch that changed the inputs for the remaining amps. currently [i just read the above post, so i am mistaken] in all receivers, each amp [channel] is designated and cannot change. It would be a neat ferature, but I can see how confusing it could get actually engineering it right.

If you really want to get into bi-amping, your only way right now is to add external amps. I know, sounds silly considering that you dont use 2 amps in your receiver anyway...

geno

4. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    The Denon AVR-5800 has assignable amplifiers but I am not sure if you can assign them in a biampable configuration. I was told at the CES show that the amplifiers in the reciever could be assigned to zone 2 and zone 3 when using external amplification. If anyone owns a Denon 5800 reciever feel free to jump in and let us know if it can be set up in a biamp mode?

5. Gene DellaSala

Gene DellaSala Auditioning

Hi people, I often wondered this myself and thus figured out a way to do it at least on Denon gear such as the AVR-5803. I am sure teh 4802/3803 and others will work this way as well.

Here is an excerpt from my review of the AVR-5803 that you may find helpful.