What's new

AV Receiver for Pioneer home theater SP-FS52 (1 Viewer)

varunteja

Auditioning
Real Name
varun
Hi,

I just bought Pioneer home theater SP-FS52. Please advise a good av receiver under $400 with bluetooth connectivity.

How about Onkyo SR-333 for $249??

I have read in few forums that the performance of this pioneer home theater depends a lot on the av receiver we use. This is my first home theater and I want to get the best out of it in my budget.Pleas advise.

Regards,
Varun

varunteja

Auditioning
Real Name
varun
Thanks for your reply schan1269.

Yeah I figured that there are very limited av receivers with BT under $300.
I could not find any reviews of Onkyo SR 333. May be coz it is newly launched.But i liked its features.

I am OK to increase the budget to $400 to $ 500 if it is really needed for better performance of my pioneer SP-FS52.

Please advise on few AV receivers with BT

varunteja

Auditioning
Real Name
varun
Can anybody tell me if Onkyo SR 333 is good to connect to Pioneer SP-FS52? I could not find the reviews of Onkyo SR 333 anywhere..

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
8ohm speakers.

Every AVR ever made will power them.

The only reason I've never jumped on the Pio AJ bandwagon...

They aren't efficient.

BIC DV
Infinity Primus
Polk Monitor/TSi

are all 89-92 DB efficient.

The Pio AJ are 85. They require 2-3 times the power.

Ergo....not a speaker to buy if "will I have enough power" is a consideration.

Nobody is buying $300 speakers to pair with a behemoth amp/receiver.

Behemoth amp/AVR aren't $400.

How much volume do you need?

95db?
100db?
105db?
110db?

How big is the room?

10x12 bedroom?
25x30 basement?

What are you listening to?

MP3?
Netflix?
BD at reference level?

varunteja

Auditioning
Real Name
varun
Hi Schan,

Thanks for your reply.

I have my samsung 55 inch 6300 smart TV in living room 12 by 15 feet. I watch movies in netflix and play video albums in youtube,play games in Xbox 360,and play songs from ipad/android(play blueray movies in near future). I think 100db is more than enough for me.

I liked onkyo sr 333 as it is just $ 249 and has a bluetooth and zone 2 line out. But it doesn't have auto calibration and NO reviews at all online.

Is Auto calibration a must to have in a receiver?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
100db(there are room calculators out there) with 5 speakers in that room should take less than 40wpc.Every AVR will cough that up.I didn't even know the 333 existed till this thread. So far this year, the only bargain bin AVR anybody has paid attention to is the 377. And only because Yamaha added in DSP from their YSP soundbars.

varunteja

Auditioning
Real Name
varun
Yamaha 377 doesnt have Bluetooth and Zone 2.

Please give me a few options of av receivers with bluetooth and zone 2 under $400. You have clarified that power output is not a problem.What else to look for in a receiver? What abt Auto calibration feature?

I am going to Frys today evening as there as an out of box onkyo 333.

varunteja

Auditioning
Real Name
varun
Hi,

Finally bought the Onkyo SR 333 in Frys open box for $ 235 plus 2 year Frys extended warranty. Still waiting for my pioneer home theater.

pfar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
schan1269 said:
100db(there are room calculators out there) with 5 speakers in that room should take less than 40wpc.Every AVR will cough that up.I didn't even know the 333 existed till this thread. So far this year, the only bargain bin AVR anybody has paid attention to is the 377. And only because Yamaha added in DSP from their YSP soundbars.
Where can you find this room calculator?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Here is a decent one. Not overtly accurate...but an accurate one takes 10x more inputs. This one you plug values in(in like a minute) and it spits out a decent core answer...

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

Since this one only has 1 "distance" value...approximate by adding up all..then dividing by the number you have...

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Actually the Pioneers are 6 ohm, but every receiver should still power them.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ok, 6...Used that calc with 7 feet distance between speakers, keeping in mind the placement will raise and lower specific gains...If 7 feet is "accurate" 100db will take roughly 15 watts per channel.If these were in my large room...and spaced out, they would need just over 55wpc to achieve 100db(30x35 room)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks