What's new

AV input into PC (1 Viewer)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Thanks evryone....I'm still really confused....but I am a lot smarter!

Since I went to the expensive of buying a new computer,I don't want to buy some cheap card and make vhs quality DVDs (boy what a thought)

Can you make a short 'DVD' on a CDR?

Basically I don't want to trash a lot of expensive blanks getting the hang of it..anyone successful?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yes, you can burn DVD Images to a CDR, but they will only play on your computer. Even so, it should give you plenty of time to learn on

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
so I ended up getting a compro personal cinema...seems to fit the bill. like the interface box and remote (I needed one more to break 100...or so it seems)

There seems to be about a half dozen products that are similiar for about the same price.

This one has 32megs ($149) instead of the 64 megs ($199) the extra memory is more for the 3rd gameing usages...me thinks

OR did I screw up?

Jacques

Grip
It would appear that Compro simply offers a little more variety in the Geforce2 cards married to Nvidea's Personal Cinema, whereas Visiontek only offers the Xtasy Everything.

From the little I've gleaned from here and elsewhere, it looks like it's better not to go for an "all in one box" solution as you sacrifice quality in one or more components, as these are optimized for best value, not necessarily best performance.

What I still can't seem to figure out is what is the absolute least you can spend and still get quality? Yes, I suppose "quality" varies from user to user, and his or her budget, but let me give an example which might help someone explain. When buying a DVD player, for example, there is a threshold below which you don't get quality... say... $250, these days? Below that often yields players of Apex's ilk. So, I'd like to know the threshold in this realm, to avoid the "Apex" solutions. Personally, once I can determine this line-in-the-sand, I'd like to go a few notches above it.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
These days the quality DVD Player threshold is hovering around $120

Yes, you are correct that things bundled on 1 card=not good. I'd say that w/o a DV camera, and assumning your already have a firewire port, $250 is the least you can spend and get quality that will compare to your DVDs.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
well I replaced the video card and loaded the SW. No smoke...a good sign but ran out of time last night after loading the SW ; so never rebooted.

Will post something here once I get (or don't) it up and running.

See if it is a decent $150 solution .

Thanks for the help

Grant

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks